Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Any one in here with AFR 185's??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Any one in here with AFR 185's??
WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone in here run AFR 185's on there car? if so.. did you have to change the valve's and spring's because of cam having too much lift?? i have to replace my valves and springs and was wondering if anyone knows of shops that will do this at a good price? i also have to port match my heads and holley intake. anyone know any good shops? so far i got quoted for labor, valves, springs and port matching for like $700. any help would be appreciated. thanx

--------------------
89’ Hatch. Completely stock.

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I heard that Camara has AFR 185s.

If you are close to Gromm racing I would recommend them they are in San Jo and very good.

What cam are you running that you cant use the out of the box hardware that the AFRS come with?

This is pretty stout stuff up to 600 lift hyd roller on the 185s from what I can remember

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn Bro, thats weird. I was just gonna post a question wondering if you could use those exact heads 185's with an F cam? What cam are you trying to use? What rockers? Anyway, I know a good shop in San jo. It's called "Gromm Heads"
They do all the work on my heads and very reasonable. Call him and tell him
"Mike and Steve Tesconi" Refered you.

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Camara does have them

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:

If you are close to Gromm racing I would recommend them

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

66 Ill bet you a hundred bucks that on a stock shortblock those heads will have valve to piston problems with even a 45 head gasket and a F cam.

Just my intuition.

I know Dart Srs with 2.02s hit with an F cam when I checked piston to valve clearance

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gromm Racing Heads & Balancing
664 Stockton Ave # J
San Jose, CA
(408) 287-1301

Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I called AFR and told them what i was running and the specs on the cam and they said that the AFR 185's cant hold anything over a 550lift. Gromm racing was the place that quoted me. i was just wondering if there was any other shops that can do this for a better price, but if gromm is a great shop then i will probly want to pay someone that that knows what there doing and is a seller of AFR's. so gromm it is. thanx.

The cam that im running is a Iskenderian cam, im not sure of the duration but the lift is over 560 on the exhaust.

--------------------

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 InjectedCobra:
Damn Bro, thats weird. I was just gonna post a question wondering if you could use those exact heads 185's with an F cam? What cam are you trying to use? What rockers? Anyway, I know a good shop in San jo. It's called "Gromm Heads"
They do all the work on my heads and very reasonable. Call him and tell him
"Mike and Steve Tesconi" Refered you.

If your plan on useing the 185's on a stock bottom end then you DO have to cut the piston for clearance.

--------------------

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Nice your stroker will love those heads and probably that cam.

Gromm does nice work.

You could always send that stuff out to TEA

They can do that for you as well not sure of the price and youd have to ship etc.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

quote:
Originally posted by PunkINa5.SLOW:
Nice your stroker will love those heads and probably that cam.

Gromm does nice work.

You could always send that stuff out to TEA

They can do that for you as well not sure of the price and youd have to ship etc.

i think im going to go gromm for the work. thanx guys.

--------------------

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Thats why I chose TFS ported heads. All 2.02 and 1.7 rockers W/no problem. Reasonable pricing too
Well Gromm loves the AFR's, so they will love the job.

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com