Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Pacesetter O/R H sucks!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Pacesetter O/R H sucks!
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pulled off the off-road H today & slapped the stock one back on.
After the pull I noticed that the Ball ends of the H had kinda small openings. (smaller than the stock H!)
The H is supposed to be 2.5inches & it is, but I measured the exits & one was 2&1/4, the other was 2&1/8! WTF?!? Kind of a nice little restriction don't ya think?

So, I busted out the trust Dremel & went to work. There was a nice 'pattern' to follow due to the exhaust blackening the restirctions. Only took 30min, nice & big now!

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just now checked mine because of this (I haven't mounted it yet), and I saw that both of the openings on mine are 2 inches!! Looks like I have a little work to do on that thing before I mount it. Did you have any mounting or fitment problems with it?

--------------------
Brian

---Rest In Peace Miles Werho-Dec. 8 2002---

Posts: 561 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Obviously a problem with these H's.
Well, I haven't put it back on the car yet, so I can't tell you how fitment is now.

Basically, since it's been on the car for a few months I just followed the pattern left by the exhaust. I can tell you that on my application (not quite a bolt up for any exhaust), one side was a straight cut (ie, ~1/8 inch cut all the way around). The other side was cut with about 1/4 inch off of one side & nothing off the other side. Hope this makes sense.

I'd say mount it, then mark along the flange with a permanent marker so you know where NOT to cut.

I used a dremel & 5-6 cut-off wheels, then smoothed the edges with a carbide bit.

-Shaun

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

97bcc
¯
Member # 534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 97bcc  Ford pictures for 97bcc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is this the pacesetter pipe you're talking about? and if so, do you know if they are the same for 96-98's?

--------------------
1997 Triple Black Cobra Vert:
Mods:
3.73 FMS gears
Pacesetter offroad H-pipe
2-chamber flows
Jet stage 2 speed chip
Hurst short-shifter
MIL eliminators
Eibach Prokit springs
17x9 Chrome Cobra R’s
K&N airfilter

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its little stuff like that grinding which adds up at the end.

What fuel system do you have on the car? Are you just running a boost retard with it?

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Pacesetter makes one for 96-98's?? I'd check it for sure. Seems to be a quality control issue, I dought it would only be one of their products.

Sawson:
Boost retard is set to 0. Timing at 5 w/octane boost....till I get the dyno tune.
Fuel: Dual Walbro 255's, one in-tank, one in-line. Stock fuel lines & rails, 36lber's, FP at 39 & running a little rich.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:

Sawson:
Boost retard is set to 0. Timing at 5 w/octane boost....till I get the dyno tune.
Fuel: Dual Walbro 255's, one in-tank, one in-line. Stock fuel lines & rails, 36lber's, FP at 39 & running a little rich.

You have the best possible intank combo I know of, but I dunno about those 36's. I remember Byron tuning two (if I remember right) Incon cars when they first came out, and he complained that the 36's couldn't keep up with the power the TT kit made. One was a ported stock heads and intake and I forget the cam combo. Made over 500 rwhp when the fuel was sorted out! Your heads and intake probably flow comprable that combo. As far as your car running rich, it may be rich at part throttle, but its really the air fuel ratio after 4,000 RPM that can get you in trouble... and you really need a wide band for that as I'm sure you know. Tune it very safe to 450 rwhp for those '93 pistons and live a clean long happy life at 120 mph I still haven't seen a teal cobra glow like that.

ps- I dunno about that initial timing/boost retard setup you got going there. Doesn't seem right.

[ March 19, 2002: Message edited by: st5150 ]

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

When I spoke to Byron he seemed to think that the 36's were the right injectors. I'm skeptical myself, but turbos don't require quite as much fuel as a supercharger. I guess we'll see!

As for the 0 boost retard & base timing at 5....
Well, MSD boost retards shouldn't be used on Turbos (from what I've read on the Incon board). Boost comes on so fast that the MSD can't keep up & tip-in detenation occurs. Besides, it created a HUGE flat spot at peak torque. Timing at 5 is to compensate for detenation, as well as the NOS octane boost for added comfort till I get the tune. Incon recomends a base of 6 with 7psi, but with my heads it's a different story. Besides, I can't seem to get the boost down to 7 without having spool-up suffer. (mind you I like full boost at 2800rpm!) The only real question I have is when Byron said he was going to set the A/F at 11 to 1. From what Dave Inall states 12.5 to 1 is optimum. Perhaps this can be done due to the low heat build up of the setup. Intake temp is said to be ~15 degrees above abient at full boost.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

97bcc
¯
Member # 534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 97bcc  Ford pictures for 97bcc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, I have a pacesetter on my '97 cobra, i had it installed, i guess it fit ok...sounds good, runs good, lost a little backpressure though. How do i tell If i'm getting the best performance? thanx

--------------------
1997 Triple Black Cobra Vert:
Mods:
3.73 FMS gears
Pacesetter offroad H-pipe
2-chamber flows
Jet stage 2 speed chip
Hurst short-shifter
MIL eliminators
Eibach Prokit springs
17x9 Chrome Cobra R’s
K&N airfilter

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
interesting. I had a pace-setter off-road H with the factory headers.

When I swapped to longtubes and a better off-road H (same mufflers as before) I noted a solid 1mph or ~8rwhp gain. I'm wondering if part of that wasn't just the crappy H-pipe.

I never did 'seal' the O2 tube that was supposed to connect to the air pump/smog pump thingy either.

ah well. who cares! [worship]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
interesting. I had a pace-setter off-road H with the factory headers.

When I swapped to longtubes and a better off-road H (same mufflers as before) I noted a solid 1mph or ~8rwhp gain. I'm wondering if part of that wasn't just the crappy H-pipe.

I never did 'seal' the O2 tube that was supposed to connect to the air pump/smog pump thingy either.

ah well. who cares! [worship]

What was the better h-pipe that you switched to? Also, what type of "sealing" did you have to do to the air tube? I'm gonna have fun getting my factory H off because my car used to be a Wiconsin car (= bolts and stuff kinda rusted stuck). The o2 sensors are stuck, as well as the air tube is rusted on. I'll probably just get new o2 sensors anyways and grind on the air tube with the pneumatic die grinder. Hopefully this will work. I also noticed that the air tube on the new H sticks in about half way through the pipe, so that doesn't help either in the way of restrictions.

--------------------
Brian

---Rest In Peace Miles Werho-Dec. 8 2002---

Posts: 561 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0Brian:

What was the better h-pipe that you switched to? Also, what type of "sealing" did you have to do to the air tube? I'm gonna have fun getting my factory H off because my car used to be a Wiconsin car (= bolts and stuff kinda rusted stuck).

I switched to MAC 1 5/8" longtubes with matching 'shorty' off-road H. The longtubes have fat 3" collectors which step down to 2.5" in the H-pipe. There is no provision for an 'air tube' like the Pace-setter off-road H.

These are the headers I'm running now. On the pacesetter, I just left the air-tube bung hanging open and it caused a lot of noise and an interesting exhaust leak too. I imagine it hurt power somewhat. That and if the pacesetter really was necked down to like 2" or so (it probably was).

The MAC's I have have a big-ass 3" collector from the 1 5/8" primaries. Pretty cool.

Never fired the check engine light either. I was pretty happy about that.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com