Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Do you think my 87 will smog???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you think my 87 will smog???
TeamMustangPrez
Member # 1007

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for TeamMustangPrez  Ford pictures for TeamMustangPrez  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 87 notchback with the usual mods on there. 24 lb inj, pullies, super chip, upper intake honed out, h- pipe w/ high flow cats, no muffler tips...

Enigine was rebuilt 40,000 miles ago, small oil leaks......

Anyone have experince with smog cars with mods like this or more? [patriot]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
assuming good tune, should pass the sniffer.

you're rolling the dice though if you can't pass the visual (egr unhooked, smog pump missing, no cats, or whatever you might have). you might get lucky with a given smog tech.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

TeamMustangPrez
Member # 1007

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TeamMustangPrez  Ford pictures for TeamMustangPrez  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont know about egr unhooked, smog pump missing, I dont know where to look for that stuff.....

I d figure I ll take it and get smogged and we ll see....

Wow this is going to be a crap shoot....

Knight_Rider
¯
Member # 898

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Knight_Rider  Ford pictures for Knight_Rider  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think you would have a problem with the visual, just don't tell them what you have and you shouldn't have a problem. You don't need mufflers to pass a smog inspection, just cats. The mufflers are for noise pollution. Just look on the emmisions label under your hood, and check to see if the components are there and hooked up.

--------------------
Stroked LS1 Trans Am WS6 coming soon...

flatacid
¯
Member # 878

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for flatacid  Ford pictures for flatacid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you pass the visual then theres an almost guaranteed way to pass the sniffer. i didn't try it on my car because i had smogged before i heard about it. but ive seen smog sheets with zero's across the board in 20 year old 180,000 mile van. heres the trick

1.empty your gas tank
2.fill it with 2.5 gallons of gas and 2.5 of methanol.
3.have the car smogged
4.immediatly after smog passes, fill the tank with gas to dillute the methanol.

its almost guaranteed.

--------------------
89 mustang gt w/ t5

TeamMustangPrez
Member # 1007

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TeamMustangPrez  Ford pictures for TeamMustangPrez  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ll try that, but where the heck woudl I find methanol???
v8302stangs
¯
Member # 530

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v8302stangs  Ford pictures for v8302stangs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow does that methanol thing really work? Also, wouldn't that methanol screw with your engine somehow?
TeamMustangPrez
Member # 1007

Yes, I am curious as well? Has anyone done this to there engine?????

Where woudl I find menthnal?

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dry-gas is the commercially available equivalent.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Chances are those 24 lbs injectors are hurting your "smog" and for sure not giving you any extra HP with that combo. Take out the chip and put your timing to stock before you go.
TeamMustangPrez
Member # 1007

Well I dont have a set of 19# to swich out nor have I dyno'd it to find out if 24# inj are helping or hurting but it sure feels like it is helping........

My boy has a 87 stock so I didnt think about swapping out his stuff...

Also a buddy of mine told me to us ethanol (sp) rubbing acohol that I can buy in a store... 1 gallon of that mixed with 2 gallons 92 octane...

ANyone ever heard of this?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com