Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » car dies with o/r h-pipe

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: car dies with o/r h-pipe
Zach281
¯
Member # 171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zach281  Ford pictures for Zach281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just put an off road h-pipe on my car, and when I'm at idle, the car just dies. Why is this? Also, I'm not sure but it doesn't really sound right. When I'm giving it gas, it sort of sounds like a lawnmower, is this how it is suppost to sound? I think maybe I have an exhaust leak. How do you know if you have one?

--------------------
- 99 Cobra - Rio Red - Convertible -

- 94 Red GT - Sold 02/26/03 -

Posts: 361 | From: Rocklin, CA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it sounds like you have a pretty big leak at the header collectors. feel around for any gaps. cause this one time i only put my h-pipe on with one bolt on each side and it would die at idle. sounded kinda mean though. you might need to allign it better at the collector.

you know you have an exhaust leak when you're at like 1300 rpms and give it gas and hear loud ticking noises

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Zach281
¯
Member # 171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zach281  Ford pictures for Zach281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How do you fix the exhaust leak problem? I'm pretty sure that they lined up with the headers correctly. Maybe I should go back and check it. Was there suppost to be any gaskets? Is there any sort of sealer I can put on it?

--------------------

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there's nothing you can do except make sure they're on right. did you tighten the bolts down evenly? like, did you just tighten the top bolt all the way then the bottom... or did you alternate a few times before they were both all the way tight?

maybe its the h-pipe itself? my bassani doesnt fit too great

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Zach281
¯
Member # 171

Yeah, I tightened each bolt a little at a time. I think I'm just gonna have to take it into the local muffler shop.

--------------------

Spdfreak LS1
Board idiot
Member # 679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spdfreak LS1  Ford pictures for Spdfreak LS1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maby you need MIL eliminators
Posts: 2202 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Zach281
¯
Member # 171

How do I adjust the engine so that it idles more steady, or higher?

--------------------

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

there is a screw for the idle on the throttle body, you have to take a little grommet thing off to get to it.
are your O2 sensors plugged in? is the air tube hooked up?
try resetting your computer too

[ March 15, 2002: Message edited by: 5ptSlow ]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Knight_Rider
¯
Member # 898

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Knight_Rider  Ford pictures for Knight_Rider  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try resetting the computer first by disconnecting the battery. It doesn't sound like your car is adapting to the change in your exhaust, you should take back to the muffler shop and have them look at the work they did and inspect any sensors or actuators that are in the area.

--------------------
Stroked LS1 Trans Am WS6 coming soon...

Zach281
¯
Member # 171

Has anyone used something called RTV? I heard it was some sort of high temp exhaust sealant. I think I might try some of that. And I will also try resetting the computer too.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com