Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 92 LX stumbling/backfiring!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 92 LX stumbling/backfiring!
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK folks, here goes- picked up a 92 LX 5.0/auto and it runs good at high rpm (2,000+) but at idle/acceleration...it stumbles and hesistates. At idle, it will backfire (very small and noticable) and barely hold an idle. Car is completely stock, no mods. Any ideas? My first change will be the MAS, the computer, then the distributor...any other thoughts? thanks!

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its pretty rare for the computer to go bad. Is the back fire through the intake or exhaust? Your EGR could be stuck open. Pull the codes form the computer, that should give you a start.

[ March 07, 2002: Message edited by: st5150 ]

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My buddy brians 90gt is doing the exact same thing but it only does it when hes letting out the clutch and his is in the intake. Were changing his plugs first. You might wanna try that before u spend some bucks on a whole new comp.

--------------------
Support our troops!

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The backfire is through the exhaust. Unless it idles for an extended amount of time(more than 45 sec) it just sounds like a pop through the pipes. I plan to give it a full tune-up, clean the throttle body and idle air bypass valve, and go from there. As for the parts swap-out, I've got the items readily available, so it makes the troubleshooting a lil easier...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Through the exhaust means rich, through the intake means lean. Check your O2 sensors. Instead of spending all that time randomly swapping parts, why not pull the codes so you have a much narrower list of parts that could be wrong.
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check to see if #3 and or #4 plug wires are crossed.

Also check #7 and or #8.

The firing order is counterclockwise

That is the problem.

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I tried to pull the codes, via the key on/key off method...it didn't generate anything. I don't have a handheld, so that's out the window. Did a "poor-mans" spark check, turns out 1 and 3 are dead(engine ran the same w/o them), so the next thing is new plugs/wires. Hopefully that checks good afterwards. The firing order was correct, that was my first thought. Checked the EGR, all is working fine.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the gap John.

Im sure youll find a bad fluctuation or a horrible set of plugs.

It could also be the MAF I have seen this sensor cause your problems.

If you need one to swap out look me up.

Dan Starkey.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ok, did a full tune-up (plugs,wires,cap,rotor)...and it runs like a champ! All the parts were the originals...all the way down to the plugs. The gap was somewhere around .080, as the electrodes were fried. Thanks to all of you for your advice-

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My buddy brian and i hooked up his car to a diagnostic analyzer in auto at school and it said that his 3 and 4 cyl were either not lighting properly or backfiring. So as we were going to change the plugs we noticed that his 3 and 4 plug wires were switched around. What a dumba22.
I'm just glad that we got him off 6 cyl and back to 8.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com