Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Guages on a 91 GT

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Guages on a 91 GT
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, my buddy just bought a 91 GT and the speedo needle bounces all over the place. He replaced the speedo cable and it still does it. My question is there anything else that could be wrong besides the whole the cluster being bad? And if the cluster needs to be replaced, where can I find the absolute cheapist replacment?

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did he grease up the new cable? All it takes is a sharp bend to do it. The angle where the speedo cable plugs into the VSS sensor is probably the sharpest and most prone to binding.

[patriot]

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
John,
it does that because it probably has aftermarket gears and it hasnt been calibrated yet. Its not the guage itself or the cable.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
John,
it does that because it probably has aftermarket gears and it hasnt been calibrated yet. Its not the guage itself or the cable.

Calbrated??? Its a 5.O. It uses a gear cliped on to the end of the VSS sensor. True, if the gear is striped, it may cause his problem, but I doubt this is the case.

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I will go take a look at the way they ran the cable. Does anyone know if those Autometer pre-wired guage clusters are any good? Are they worth the cost? If the gear for the speedo is bad, how do I change it?

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1sicgt:
If the gear for the speedo is bad, how do I change it?

Take out the VSS (1 11mm bolt) and look at the gear, if its bad, use a small flat head to pop the clip off holding it in and get a replacement from Ford.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com