Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What type gears, does it matter?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What type gears, does it matter?
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am getting ready to get some gears done in the 98 Slug, to help it wake up a lil bit more, I do alot of highway driving so i am going to get 3:73's. I know it is a Auto and i should go with 4:10's but im set on 3:73's. Anyway, the shop said they would order them out of summit, does it matter where i should tell them to get them from, will the gears whine like i have heard other complain about if they are not FMS? Thanx for any advice. How much will it help my ET out?

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

STALLION98GT
¯
Member # 867

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for STALLION98GT  Ford pictures for STALLION98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sup man..I know how you fell I gatta 98 slug too and its an auto. Im ganna get gears to but im going to get the 3.73's for sure..I think 4.10 are to high cuz i do alot of freeway drvin my self. If ur ganna get gears get FMS cuz if you get any other ones there are ganna make alot of noise. I think 3.73's would be the best way to go.
Posts: 711 | From: San jose (east) | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree 3:73's would be best for your application.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I do a lot of freeway driving to... From L.A to Sacramento often... and I get great gas mileage... I run a 4.30 rear end gear ratio...

anyhow.. I recommend summit they ship fast and they're always in stock.. make sure they get the FMS gears.. not richmond

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool just called the shop to make sure they will get the FMS from summit along with new shims, crush sleeve, and whatever else they need to replace. So i will get a call back tomorrow saying how much, so far the ball park figure is between 350 and 500 out the door.
Sound ok, im having it done in the Fairfield area, Motor city Performance.
[dance]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

Unregistered
¯
Member # 786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unregistered  Ford pictures for Unregistered    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just got 3.73's and I cruise at 80 at about 2500 rpm's. and make sure the shop doesn't charge you more than $189 for the gears, otherwise order them yourself.

--------------------
2001.5 Audi S4

Posts: 1785 | From: Livermore | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
most shops will charge an add'l $20 for... "go getting" or the process of ordering parts for you... see if they will cut you a deal if they do that... .the reason being they may get a deal w/ summit or other distributors... if they want too much for the gears buy them yourself... like the previous post said

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com