Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What's the best bang for the buck power upgrade...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What's the best bang for the buck power upgrade...
Rickster
¯
Member # 962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rickster  Ford pictures for Rickster  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going to open a can of worms here.....
If you had lets say $1,500 to spend on upgrading your 89 GT motor, and wanted it to live a long and happy life, what would YOU do?

[Worship]

--------------------
1965 ACCobra Replica (FFR MKll)
w/ 1992 LX convert. running gear

Planning ahead for that midlife crissis!

Posts: 131 | From: Cedar Ridge | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what mods do you already have? how many miles do you have on the motor?
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are your goals and how much work can do you yourself?
OldSchoolFormula
¯
Member # 823

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OldSchoolFormula  Ford pictures for OldSchoolFormula    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmm, 1500? Forged pistins, good rods, and some N20.

--------------------
1973 Formula 400

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by OldSchoolFormula:
Hmm, 1500? Forged pistins, good rods, and some N20.

Good thing Ford gave us two of the three things you listed from the factory

Unregistered
¯
Member # 786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unregistered  Ford pictures for Unregistered    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NOS

--------------------
2001.5 Audi S4

Posts: 1785 | From: Livermore | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bottle warmer nitrous works adj kit

window switch
msd box

nitrous grind cam
long tubes
gears
slicks

hang on

Rickster
¯
Member # 962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rickster  Ford pictures for Rickster  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No mods done yet. I am doing all the work myself (excluding machine work). Doesn't NOS burn your engine up quickly?

--------------------

96WhiteSnake
¯
Member # 229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96WhiteSnake  Ford pictures for 96WhiteSnake  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NOS will decrease the life of your engine(as will any other increase in power) it just depends on how much you use it- if you're gonna hit the bottle at every stoplight, then you're gonna blow the engine. Also depends on how big of a shot you go with and what kind of setup you go with. The bigger the shot of NOS, the more 'harmful' it'll be on your engine. I'm not to familiar with all the set-ups, cept for wet and dry- i'd say wet is safer and the way to go, but others will say to go dry. Just do a bit of research if you are concerned about your engine and dont buy the first kit that comes your way. personally, i would not buy from NOS, I've heard the have ....less quality.... not to mention, other companies will give you a lot more accesories for the same or less.

--------------------
-Robb
Currently ridin a-
***80 Gray RX7
OLD Rides
*96 White Cobra, black int
*93 Black 5.0, black top & int
*89 White 5.0, black top & gray int

Posts: 402 | From: San Jo/ SLO | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
Rickster
¯
Member # 962

So how about headers, intakes or heads. Wouldn't that be safe for the engine and increase HP? What kind if increase could I expect over a stock 895.0 GT engine? with one or all of those upgrades?

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: NewbieFreak ]

--------------------

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A good running stock 5 liter with nitrous will punk out most heads/intake/cam cars.

Trust me I used to do it all the time.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Rickster
¯
Member # 962

So, PunkINa5.SLOW, how bout that freind of yours we talked about earlier with the wrecked 89? Still intrested? if not could you give some info so I could work a deal?

--------------------

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

I havent been able to get a hold of him.

I will keep trying.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Rickster
¯
Member # 962

Thanks!

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com