Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help
96WhiteSnake
¯
Member # 229

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for 96WhiteSnake  Ford pictures for 96WhiteSnake  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay, here is the situation of my now dying snake:
I left my car with my dad for a week to get insurance. Then, last weekend he was driving to his friends house and it died in the middle of the street. He cranks it back up and is able to get to his buddies. When he leaves, it dies again. When it dies, it seems like the engine is rumbling a bit, then the revs just go down and kill the motor(at idle) After the second time it died, he said that it wasn't running right -- it would go about 3 mph when he florred it, and he said he could only get it up to about 20 mph or so. He then had it toed to a mechanic, who has no idea what is wrong with it. The computer scans just fine.

Here are the only mods to the car-
bbk offroad h with mil elim's
bbk adjustable fpr set at 41
JET chip, which has been in the car for awhile
and a K&N with a custom power pipe

I am almost positive that none of these are causing the problem
the car is a 1996 with about 64k on it.

Any ideas?

--------------------
-Robb
Currently ridin a-
***80 Gray RX7
OLD Rides
*96 White Cobra, black int
*93 Black 5.0, black top & int
*89 White 5.0, black top & gray int

Posts: 402 | From: San Jo/ SLO | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what was the last thing you did to it? (usually nails down any problem for me w/ my car! )
96WhiteSnake
¯
Member # 229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96WhiteSnake  Ford pictures for 96WhiteSnake  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the last time i did anything was in january when i had to smog the car. I pulled the o/r pipe off and put the stock one back on. Then smogged it and threw the o/r back on again. I did create an exhaust leak (thanks to marin) when swapping when the exhaust manifold meets the h pipe on the driver side. But I dont think that woulnd cause this to happen...
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dunno. I don't know much about the 4.6, but it could just be a vacuum leak. Maybe pop a gauge on it and see.
ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScuEleanor  Ford pictures for ScuEleanor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just me but it sounds like an electrical problem. If the car keeps dying and was only going 3mph when you floored it, it was either getting really little gas or no spark. That could be a bad alternator. Also maybe spark plugs, or distributor (maybe rotor is bad). Also even though you have had the chip for a while, maybe a new mod made it malfunction, could be just unplugging the chip might do the trick.
Posts: 77 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
97cobra
¯
Member # 150

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 97cobra  Ford pictures for 97cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would check all you spark plug wires and plugs, even your distributor.
James

--------------------
"Some people dream with success... while others wake up early and work hard to have it." Man do I ever want to go back to dreaming of it !!!

Posts: 116 | From: Fremont, ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its a 4.6 no disributor

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
don't know much about 4.6's but check your o2 sensors

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fuel pump gone south, maybe?
Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
96WhiteSnake
¯
Member # 229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96WhiteSnake  Ford pictures for 96WhiteSnake  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for all the input guys.

I finally got to drive it on saturaday to see what was up (my dad had it when it 'supposedly' died). The mechanic found absolutely nothing wrong, even with the suggestion I (we) made. So he changed the oil and gave it back.. I have driven it for about 250 miles and it seems to be running perfectly. I think I might need some fuel injectors though.....any recomendations for a basically stock motor?

--------------------
-Robb
Currently ridin a-
***80 Gray RX7
OLD Rides
*96 White Cobra, black int
*93 Black 5.0, black top & int
*89 White 5.0, black top & gray int

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is the fuel pump.

It is overheating.

Do you notice the problem is worse when the fuel level is under 1/2 tank.

Does it go away and come back?

It is the fuel pump.

I have been there, done that

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com