Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Smog Legal long tube headers?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog Legal long tube headers?
equus95
¯
Member # 910

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for equus95  Ford pictures for equus95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who makes smog legal long tube headers ? I've seen that BBK makes some and sells the short H-pipe w/ CATS to go with it, but does this combo have a CARB excemption # ?

I was oringinally going to go with the equal length shorties ( I know they're a pain in the a$$ to install, but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do, I put them on my 91 LX and they weren't that bad), but I've seen that the long tubes are worth a little more HP. Also, given the best case scenario I would want a combo that would let me use the long tubes and a short x-pipe with CATS, anyone make those??
What about trqe with the long tubes? Any gain or loss? Gotta have the grunt if I can get it.

If I'm going to do the install I would rather get more hp/trqe in one shot, but since I live in the People's Republic of CA I gotta stay smog legal.

Thanx for the input!

--------------------
1995 GT
Cobra R rims,Hurst Billet Plus,3.55 FMS gears,ASP Underdrives
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust,FRPP headers,Home-made CAI

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they dont make smog legal ones cause the cats are further down which makes them function differently i guess. who knows though, if you can find a place that doesnt do visuals you can probably still pass
Mipaz
Old School
Member # 386

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for Mipaz  Ford pictures for Mipaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no such thing as smog legal long tubes..

--------------------
Wheels on the Vette go round and round.

Posts: 1700 | From: Over There | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
equus95
¯
Member # 910

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for equus95  Ford pictures for equus95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the answers! I know that a long tube install would require the removal of the stock H-pipe, but since I saw a short H-pipe with CATS advertised I thought I'd ask.

--------------------
1995 GT
Cobra R rims,Hurst Billet Plus,3.55 FMS gears,ASP Underdrives
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust,FRPP headers,Home-made CAI

camaro killaz
Member # 947

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for camaro killaz  Ford pictures for camaro killaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WHATS UP WELL JUST TO LET U KNOW I HAVE LONG TUBE HEADERS ON MY 95 GT WITH A CUSTOM MADE X-PIPE THE ONLY THING IS THAT I COULDN'T CONNECT MY EGR VAVLE.SO JUST THINK ABOUT IT I KNOW I GOT MORE POWER OUT OF THEN,THEN MY FRIEND IS GETTING OUT OF HE'S SHORTIES...
Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hemi Ted  Ford pictures for Hemi Ted    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TORQUEPIMP:
no such thing as smog legal long tubes..

Period.

Not legal, not worth the fines.

My car is running like a raped-date! Through now smog-legal High Flow-Cats from Summit. There are 900 horsepowered cars running through shorties out there. So can you. Yeah you might pick-up 10 extra horses, but your not legal. I think the fine is $1000 per cat max. Ask yourself, if you get a pissed off judge who max fines you that day - 4 x cats = $4,000....... Now is that worth 10 horsepower?? Nope. Not on a daily driver it isn't.
Get some JBA stepped shorties. They can give you the best hp. At least if your combo warrants stepped headers.

--------------------
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition
"Thats Mr. Great Pumpkin to you!"

Posts: 2601 | From: Tomball, TX | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how low is your car ted? cuz i know it would be a task for a cop to see if i have cats I dont think you can tell on mine without jacking it up.

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com