Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Viper 6speed Transmission (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Viper 6speed Transmission
ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for ScuEleanor  Ford pictures for ScuEleanor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was trying to get some information about the Viper 6speed for my 67' Fastback Mustang. I heard that Harold just bought this transmission for his 98' Cobra and was wondering if he or someone else could give me some advice. I heard that with this transmission you would be shifting too much because the gear ratios are so close together. Is this true and if so should I just go with the Tremec TKO 5speed? Thanks

David

Posts: 77 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats up bud? I went with the 6 speed from D+D because I have heard that it is a much smoother tranny than most others> I have 4:10's> but I am not sure how much I will have to be shifting now? Hopefully not too much! The advantage of going with a 5 speed is that there are scattershields available> Currently there is nothing out for the 6 speed> From the research that I did> I was told the Viper 6 speed was about as strong as the TKO? No flame intended> but I'll let you know how long it lasts with 550+rwhp. (Oh yeah>I am putting this into a 99cobra ) My car might be running again this week> hopefully the tranny shifts smooth like everyone says it will!

[ February 26, 2002: Message edited by: WIKD 281 ]

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScuEleanor  Ford pictures for ScuEleanor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya I am putting the tranmsmission in my 408 stroker which should have about 525 engine horsepower then I am thinking about putting nitrous to the equation. The guys at D&D performance told me that the viper could handle 1000 horsepower, even though it is rated at 550 from production specs(TKO is 525hp). They also told me that is shifted alot smoother than the TKO. What are you doing to do about the scattershield, is it not necessary to have one? But ya let me know how the shifting is...I have a Ford 9 inch with 3.70s.

David

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice setup bud! I am not going to put in a scattershield because I dont even have a cage> vert running low 11's= basically its a street car> just a little faster than the basic mustang> thats all.
I'll let you know when I get the car back how the tranny feels>
Take it easy bud.
Later.

--------------------

ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScuEleanor  Ford pictures for ScuEleanor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Harold. Also if I get the viper tranny depending some on what you say, what type of clutch and shifter did you get and why? thanks

David

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

I got the Steeda tri-ax shifter and I replaced my clutch a few months ago with a Dual kevlar clutch> they say it does good for big horsepower> I dont remember much about the clutches but I think there was 1 clutch that was stronger and that was with steel on one side and Kevlar on the other> but they told me it wasnt as Street friendly> from what I remember? I bought the clutch disc from APEX motorsports in Santa Clara, I am still using the Stock cobra pressure plate> but heavy duty throwout bearing.
Hope this helps> If there is anything else just let me know!

--------------------

ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Hey Harold. How is the tranny? Is it worth the money and does it shift sweet? Thanks
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Dont know yet, havent picked up the car> it is supposed to be tommorow> if all goes well!

--------------------

OutlawZ
The OutlawZ
Member # 24

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OutlawZ  Ford pictures for OutlawZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do keep in mind that you guys quoted HP figures that trannies can handle but trannies are actually rated in torque figures. My T56 is the standard model (I believe the Viper has a larger countershaft mainshaft thickness but I could be wrong) T56 and it's handled everything I could throw at it. I broke a shift fork once but that was my fault when I missed a gear. It's a sweet shifting transmission. And as far as shifting too much the model is VERY similar to any 5 speed as far as ratios from 1-5 but it has an additional .50:1 overdrive. Most 5 speed overdrives are like .67.... You can run 4.10's and still cruise at 2K RPM's at 80 on the freeway....

--------------------
1995 OutlawZ28
Old motor-355 ci LT1 10.40@131
New motor-CSM Race Engines solid roller 383 LT1....
Cali's fastest LT1-period....

Posts: 486 | From: Fairfizzle, CA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Tranny is alright> havent gotten much time in the car yet> just picked it up. It preety much feels like a T-45 with an extra gear. Reverse is a bitch to find! Gotta get used to it.

--------------------

ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Ok. So you don't think it shifts any smoother or faster than the T-5? Not really worth it except for the extra gear? Let me know after you test it out a little. Thanks
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

First impression are not that spectacular> I'll let you know when I get some more time in. I definately needed it because of the power level I'm at

--------------------

ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for ScuEleanor  Ford pictures for ScuEleanor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Harold what's up. I am ordering my tranny pretty soon and was wondering how you ended up liking your transmission? Does it shift faster or smoother than the 5 speed? let me know, thanks

David

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
David,
Good luck getting that thing into reverse U need 2 hands.
Other than that the tranny seems cool.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

It is a good tranny> My friend that drove my car said it was smoother but I dont think that much smoother? Its cool so far tho! Does the job for how much power I'm pushing. I would say do it! Dont forget there is no scattershield available for these tho.
Hope this helps!

--------------------

ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Alright thanks for the help guys, I will think about it some more first.

David

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Viper T56 is obviously in all the Vipers we work on, and it's a very stout tranny! Our Lethal 650 package just put out 585rwhp and 605ft/lb., and we're just about to increase the displacement from 488" to 540", making it our Lethal 750 package. (We actually project more like ~760-770 flywheel hp.) It's still strong enough to handle the additional ~75hp that we'll generate with the stroker, so it should be plenty for a 4.6!
On a Mustang, there's no reverse lockout solenoid, so getting into reverse is a two-handed operation. That's the only bummer.
The T45 actually shares quite a few parts with the T56...

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: Bill/APEX Motorsports ]

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Thanks for the info. Bill!> i think I might be calling you soon about my powerpipe on my car> I just had the motor built and I am getting air back out the MAF> I have the AFM powerpipe> do you guys usually put in a block right inside of the powerpipe that directs that air back towards the blower> or do I just have to live with it? I am pushing about 12-15psi. of boost and it only happens when I am part throttle> no problems when WOT.
Thanks!
Harold.

--------------------

v8302stangs
¯
Member # 530

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v8302stangs  Ford pictures for v8302stangs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just wondering... Who deals the T-56 that can go on mustangs? I haven't been looking too long since I had heard at first that it was a very rough swap, but I think what I was told was incorrect. Also, when it comes to clutch type, and shifter location, is everything the same?

--------------------
1995 GT 5.0
Mac Off-Road H pipe
00' Cobra R wheels
2 Chamber Flowmasters
3 MTX 10" subs

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

D+D makes the T-56 to fit the mustang. It is a direct bolt in but you need to put in some spacers to make it fit. I used the same clutch out of my T-45 and bought a new shifter. The shifter is in the same location.
Hope this helps.

--------------------

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
v8302stangs - Just to add to what WIKD 281 said, you also have to move the crossmember back, get a shorter drive shaft and a different clutch disc. I'm doing this swap on my car in the next month or so. BTW, all the stuff you need is available from D+D, www.ddperformance.com Later

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for ScuEleanor  Ford pictures for ScuEleanor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Harold. I am going to get my car painted within the next month. It has ALL the body work done and it will be all primed in the next two days. I just either need to get a paint booth so my guy can paint or have someone paint my car for me. I heard that you have a paint and body shop. Email me at ScuSaleen@aol.com so we can discuss specifics, thanks

David

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

You have mail.

--------------------

ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Did you send the message to me at ScuSaleen@aol.com? I didn't get the mail. thanks

David

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Harold, in some instances, we have angled the inlet air away from the MAF, but that's when we've made our own Power Pipes (i.e. for installation with an Aftercooler).
Are you saying that the bypass isn't bypassing enough air? You might need a Super Bypass.

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com