Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Aftercooler / cam swap dyno results

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Aftercooler / cam swap dyno results
TM88GT
¯
Member # 105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TM88GT  Ford pictures for TM88GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Previous combo / dyno

box stock Cobra intake, Edelbrock 6037 heads(no porting), "mystery cam" (more on this later), 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, 36lb injects, 190lph pump w/ T-rex, shorty headers, Bassani X with cats, Vortech SQ (3.33" / 6.87" pullies), RACESYSTEM powerpipe - result on 91 octane gas:

372 rwhp
403 ft /lbs torque

Very torquey combo, but it dropped off severely at 5500rpm. I thought it was the "mystery" cam that was causing the power drop, but without pulling it, there was no confimation.

Back in Nov - My water pump took a dump on me. As I was replacing the pump, I noticed that there was oil in my coolant. You all know what that means, blown HG. So I figured, as long as I replacing the HG, I'll have a cam swapped in, as well as some other tid bits. The complete list of changes were as follows:

Edelbrock 6037 decked .010" and o-ringed
Crane 2031 cam
FMS 42lb injectors
Pro-M 80mm MAF
255lph intank pump
Vortech Aftercooler
re-tuned chip (very conservative)

The dyno results on 91 octane gas (no ice in cooler tank):

442 rwhp
432 ft / lbs torque

The car is a totally different animal. It pulls to 6000rpm (and up), and it doesn't drop off at all. The cooler core stays cool enough to lay your hand on it (so much for the heat sink theory), even after 2 hrs on the dyno with a dinky fan in front of the car.

Now I need to rebuild the read-end. That thing is whining like a baby now.

BTW, this mystery cam turned out to be an explorer cam, which is what comes in the FRPP "Cobra" shortblock.

Posts: 142 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Long time ho hear man. So you been busy on your car. You missed abig show yesterday. 160 plus cars. We have one at foster freeze in march. Are you coming? How's your boys 98 gt?

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice! So thats where you've been hiding. How much boost are you seeing? You're easily some tires and practice away from 11 second timeslips!
TM88GT
¯
Member # 105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TM88GT  Ford pictures for TM88GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRY2PAZ:
Long time no hear man. So you been busy on your car. You missed a big show yesterday. 160 plus cars. We have one at foster freeze in march. Are you coming? How's your boys 98 gt?

Just got the car back on saturday, that's why i missed the event. March is a definite, barring no unforseen circumstances. My boy sold his 98GT, and got a blk/blk 98 Cobra. It's pretty much still stock for now, but he has plan for a Vortech in the near future.

TM88GT
¯
Member # 105

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Nice! So thats where you've been hiding. How much boost are you seeing? You're easily some tires and practice away from 11 second timeslips!

Only 8spi of boost for now. I didn't want to go with a smaller blower pulley just yet. I need to get used to this power before I go smaller. When I get this rearend rebuilt, I'm going to see what it can do on true street tires. LOL! 13.0 @120+

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TM88GT:

I'm going to see what it can do on true street tires. LOL! 13.0 @120+

Just make sure you tell the LS1 guy running 12's with a K&N and cat back that the whine under your hood is a BAD vacuum leak

Your rear end will told up for a while. You won't be doing 1.60 wheels up 60 foots for a while. If you had a LS1, I'd worry about the rear end.

How does that cam idle?

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TM88GT:

Just got the car back on saturday, that's why i missed the event. March is a definite, barring no unforseen circumstances. My boy sold his 98GT, and got a blk/blk 98 Cobra. It's pretty much still stock for now, but he has plan for a Vortech in the near future.

Right on man. the cobra was a good decision. I bought a saleen vert. See you guys on the 30th. Keep checking the car show section

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
TM88GT
¯
Member # 105

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

Just make sure you tell the LS1 guy running 12's with a K&N and cat back that the whine under your hood is a BAD vacuum leak

I'm not worried about that - my ego is not big enough to care about some guy in an LS1. Only young guys with big ego's and lots of testosterone have that problem. Once you get in your mid 30's - you'll see what I'm talking about

quote:

Your rear end will told up for a while. You won't be doing 1.60 wheels up 60 foots for a while. If you had a LS1, I'd worry about the rear end.

Actually - my rear is shot. I'm already doing the "one-wheel-peel", and now it's starting to whine (bearings). So there's no way I'd drive 2hrs and get stranded.

quote:

How does that cam idle?

To be honest it's pretty tame to me. It's not as lumpy as an E cam, but not as tame as a stocker.

[ February 26, 2002: Message edited by: TM88GT ]

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
"Rebel79" has that same cam with a similar combo and that thing is really lumpy, thats why I asked. Impressive numbers for 8 psi! Take it easy on those vipers

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com