Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » is it normal for a t-5 to get hella hot?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: is it normal for a t-5 to get hella hot?
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
like you can feel the heat on the center console and shifter handle? and the cats cool down and the tranny is still hot as fuck? is this normal?

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont know if it is normal but when the weather is even nice out the heat from down under is pretty bad on the driver side in the summer it really sucks. I'm going to put some of the heat foil shit under there but since its been cold out I havent really noticed.

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're not low on ATF in your T5 are you?
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nope, fluid has never ran low, i run synthetic too

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you re-install the rubber boot on the shifter? It can get quite toasty in the engine compartment/shifter handle without it!
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't run synthetic ATF in a T5. The manual calls for DEX III ATF.

If your T5 isn't making any noises, shifts fine and the tranny level is full, I wouldn't worry about it.

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

it says its compatible with dextronIII and merconIII. should i go back to the regular stuff? what about synthetic 10-30 motor oil or gm synchromesh?
tranny shifts fine, but makes lots of whining noises. i think its the tailshaft bearing and bushing? (talking out my ass)
thanks for the help, btw

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5ptSlow:
it says its compatible with dextronIII and merconIII. should i go back to the regular stuff? what about synthetic 10-30 motor oil or gm synchromesh?
tranny shifts fine, but makes lots of whining noises. i think its the tailshaft bearing and bushing? (talking out my ass)
thanks for the help, btw

Is it just 5th gear thats whining? I know my 5th is louder then the other four.

--------------------

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont put synchromesh in it.

Use Redline ATF

ALSO

Long trips in 5th will make the box a little hotter.

You are going from a 1 to 1 to a 1 to .68 or .62 or .59 or .82 dependig on which T-5 you have and it has NO cooler on it so a little heat build up is gonna happen.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
"they" say synthic tranny fluid is too slick and doesn't allow your syncro's to slow down fast enough. Lots of T5's have made it with a ton of miles on the regular DEX III stuff just fine. Personally, I don't believe in any special magical fluids.
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a T-5 that survived many 10.50 passes and is still running strong after mucho miles.

It has had redline ATF all its life.

Food for thought.

If you dont want to use synth. then go with a quality ATF.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
"they" say synthic tranny fluid is too slick and doesn't allow your syncro's to slow down fast enough. Lots of T5's have made it with a ton of miles on the regular DEX III stuff just fine. Personally, I don't believe in any special magical fluids.

Not even pro long come on man... lol

--------------------

ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScuEleanor  Ford pictures for ScuEleanor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a 91'GT 5.0 (T-5) and just sold my 96' Saleen (T-45), both of which had five speeds. In my 91' GT I could always feel the heat from the tranny, especially on hot days. I could also feel it in the Saleen but not as much at the 91' GT. Just some input.
Posts: 77 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Knight_Rider
¯
Member # 898

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Knight_Rider  Ford pictures for Knight_Rider  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think, and most of the techs I work with say redline ATF is better than regular ATF, they also mentioned another oil that works better than redline, but the conversation was a long time ago, and the oil is more expensive than rediline.

--------------------
Stroked LS1 Trans Am WS6 coming soon...

Norcalbmxer
¯
Member # 235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norcalbmxer  Ford pictures for Norcalbmxer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the only time mine ever got real hot, was when the fluid was broke down....try doing a flush, and adding more fluid...

--------------------
T-tops suck!
Coming Soon - "The baddest BITCH on 4 wheels!!!"
WTB 95+ Gt spindles/Brakes,
"Smoke' Em"

Posts: 952 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com