Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What do you think of the 400m motor?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you think of the 400m motor?
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A guy told me that if I pick it up it's free. Ford 400M motor intake to pan. I know what I think about them.....what are your opinions and why?

Jack

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/11/351M/index.shtml
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/11/351M/index.shtml
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fuck, a free motor is a free motor. just check it out and see if its even worth the room in your garage. you do know what car in your driveway that be good going right

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey st5150...thanks for the link...but i don't really want to pay to read it. Does anyone on here have an subscription and would be willing to copy it for me? Thanks.

Jack

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not necasarily a bad motor, but some areas need attention. The stock oiling system sucks, and the heads could use a little work. I remember an article in a old mustang magazine about a 400m builup. stock it puled like 100rwhp. THey rebuilt it, ported the heads, put a good 4V intake on it, some headers and an extreme energy cam, and it put out like 380 something RWHP... i dont remember the torque, but it was pretty good also. Have to use the big block trnasmisions though, since the bolt pattern mattches the BB.

--------------------
99 honda 996 superhawk...
03 cobra:422rwhp,399rwtq (before pulley)
New best,12.07@119.9(!!)mph on nittos (cant drive to save my life!)

Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It rates right up there with the FE motors

Takes alot to make em run right and you have to get the right combo.

There is a reason you dont see many of them running hard.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
380hp:468lb/ft 406ci
Home ported stock heads (2 barrel), Ported two barrel intake and 2 barrel carb-550cfm Holley, Xtreme Energy 268 cam (224*/230* .524",.529" lift), budget bottom end rebuild.

Nope, not worth the effort. Takes too much work to make them run well. Consider what numbers would have popped up if they used a 4 barrel carb and intake...

Dyno was at The Racers Group at Sear's Point. It is a Bosch load bearing chassis dyno and typically gives numbers about 10% lower than the more common DynoJet 248- the flywheel numbers were calculated from rwhp. Total build cost was right at $2000.

JL

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: FasterDamnit ]

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I didnt post that is wasnt worth the effort.

Like I said you have to get the combo right

Also is there a guy that does some home porting on the heads for a decent deal and can port them exactly like the ones used on this motor?

Id had to do a budget performance rebuild on my two barrel 400 and not get 380hp cause I couldnt get the heads ported right

Come on now. I was just being honest there are few and far between that run hard.

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone can do basic head porting at home. I did it with just some articles and net advice for guidance.

Here's how.

Port Your Stock Heads!

and here-

Home Porting Archive

Do a stock rebuild, add the cam, 4 barrel intake and carb, clean up the heads-no major reshaping, and a set of headers and anyone can match these results. It will make power by 5200rpm so no need for more than the stock oiling system and bottom end. I wouldn't advocate hunting for a 400 specifically for racing BUT for a great street/strip torque monster at a very cheap price it is hard to beat. And with the low RPM it should live a long life. Drop it into something light and you can see some great ET's. I plan to build one eventually- maybe drop it into a '60's Falcon. Cheap and fast!

JL

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Like I said I never posted that it wasnt worth the effort at all.

That was assumed.

Im sure it is a cool combo that maybe just has went overlooked for the past 20 years.

Wonder how well it would smog in a 79-93 mustang

I am impressed with the power and torque it made not man 406ci motors make that much power with a smallish cam and intake, but like I said you have to get the combo right.

I wasnt knocking it.

The Falcon sounds like fun and definetly up my alley as it is zomething zifferent

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think my next motor is going to be a 351C or a 400m. Got a set of 4V open chamber heads sittin in my back room that would be a good head for the money. I flowed em last year, and they flowed 276 cfm @.550 lift(intake) and 180 cfm (ex) with zero porting. With some exhaust work, could be a real power producer...

--------------------
99 honda 996 superhawk...
03 cobra:422rwhp,399rwtq (before pulley)
New best,12.07@119.9(!!)mph on nittos (cant drive to save my life!)

Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com