Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 99 headswap

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 99 headswap
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know how much it cost(parts only) and is there in mods you have to make for it to work?

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

Spdfreak LS1
Board idiot
Member # 679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spdfreak LS1  Ford pictures for Spdfreak LS1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sup bro, im from P hill where r u from? The parts (including the heads i presume) will run you abour 1K. PLUS install and any other "oh, that looks like it needs to be replaced." stuff.

--------------------
Juice times to come!!
http://www.thesiccrew.com/Kevin.html
http://www.geocities.com/kevtopgun/Z28.html
12.9 and 111mph traps on Street tires.
quote:
Originally posted by FireWhore:
..... nor do i care what any of u peeps think....or me for that matter....

Posts: 2202 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kevin Smith:
Sup bro, im from P hill where r u from? The parts (including the heads i presume) will run you abour 1K. PLUS install and any other "oh, that looks like it needs to be replaced." stuff.

whats up... I'm from livermore, well I dont have to worry about labor fees I'll just go to my buddies shop and get them to help me. saves a lot of money... and at least I can say i put some time into my car and have a little pride knowing I did. If I'm taking it to the shop its the last resort shit.

--------------------

j0k3r
¯
Member # 826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0k3r  Ford pictures for j0k3r    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You might run into problems with your supercharger. The pistons on the 96-98 modular motors are flat. The 99s have a curved piston. This will bump your compression up to about 10:1. You may have to back the boost down quite a bit. I am not however speaking from experience. The heads may not be enough either, you might have to do the intake as well. Those nice hi-flow heads won't do you much good if the intake is still your bottleneck.

--------------------
[img]http://www.writebacksoon.net/pics/sig.jpg[/img]
Webmaster
http://www.1999gt.com

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

quote:
Originally posted by j0k3r:
You might run into problems with your supercharger. The pistons on the 96-98 modular motors are flat. The 99s have a curved piston. This will bump your compression up to about 10:1. You may have to back the boost down quite a bit. I am not however speaking from experience. The heads may not be enough either, you might have to do the intake as well. Those nice hi-flow heads won't do you much good if the intake is still your bottleneck.

well I was thinking about doing the bullit intake too... dont know, have to see how much it all cost.

--------------------

j0k3r
¯
Member # 826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0k3r  Ford pictures for j0k3r    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think I saw the complete intake kit for about $1100. From what I hear, they kick royal ass too. I would love to put one on my car.

--------------------
[img]http://www.writebacksoon.net/pics/sig.jpg[/img]
Webmaster
http://www.1999gt.com

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

do you know where to get the kit from? I seen a shop in so cal that does the install but I'm not sure if you can buy the kit or if you just have to buy part by part???

--------------------

black_demon
¯
Member # 196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for black_demon  Ford pictures for black_demon    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if its the 99+ headswap kit you need, go to www.gefracing.com they sell it for 1300
Posts: 112 | From: san francisco - cali | Registered: Mar 2001  |  :
Deftone37
¯
Member # 563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deftone37  Ford pictures for Deftone37    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by j0k3r:

Agreed... Think about getting FRPP heads and intake instead (p&p'd if possible). I'm sure you'd like the results...

--------------------
'98 GT
mostly stock

Posts: 20 | From: fremont, ca | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

quote:
Originally posted by Deftone37:

Agreed... Think about getting FRPP heads and intake instead (p&p'd if possible). I'm sure you'd like the results...

Know of any place with a good price on the frpp's?

--------------------

MRBiggs
¯
Member # 513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MRBiggs  Ford pictures for MRBiggs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah man you will run into problems with the S/C. I have a friend that is going through hell with that swap package. He has had it on for more than a year and a half now and its pretty quick but, if he didn't have some much money tied up in other parts (rims, tires, body stuff and labor costs) he wonders if he should have just traded up or bought a S/C and been done with it. he is having a bitch of a time dealing with detonation issues and it was gone for a while but now that its starting to warm up again it coming back.

Oh yeah, make sure you get the timing adjuster if you do it. You will need it.... That compression ratio is a mother.....
I'll give you a link to his club page and you can look through the tech section and read about the horror. Or you could post in there looking for somebody that has done the swap. He'll answer....

Here it is.... http://pub56.ezboard.com/bsangabrielvalleymustangclub

[ February 14, 2002: Message edited by: MRBiggs ]

--------------------
342 stroker, Windsor Sr. heads, Jay cam, TFS track heat

www.socalhorsepower.com

Posts: 300 | From: San Dimas, So. Cali GO LAKERS !! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Deftone37
¯
Member # 563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deftone37  Ford pictures for Deftone37    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ihatethesesns:

Know of any place with a good price on the frpp's?

gefracing has 'em, but they are expensive. I don't know if you'll be able to find them any cheaper though, unless its used.

MRBiggs: Do you think a timing adjuster could fix a lot of the problems with the high compression on the 99 heads? To be honest with you, I'm not quite sure how they work. How does it lower your compression? I'd get some FRPP's myself, but I don't have the money for that...

--------------------
'98 GT
mostly stock

MRBiggs
¯
Member # 513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MRBiggs  Ford pictures for MRBiggs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Deftone, the adjuster only adjusts timing. The only way to raise or lower your compression is with heads and pistons.
The problem with this swap comes with the fact that the 99 and ups gained their extra power through raised compression.
The timing will help deal with any detonation (pinging) that may come after you add those heads. The reason I said to make sure you get the adjuster is because with that higher compression you have a more tempermental engine than before. personally I would go another route or just spend the money and get the FRPP heads and intake. I'll bet that next to a S/C that is probably the easiest way to make big power with your car.

--------------------
342 stroker, Windsor Sr. heads, Jay cam, TFS track heat

www.socalhorsepower.com

Posts: 300 | From: San Dimas, So. Cali GO LAKERS !! | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

well head look like a no go for right now cuz I just found out my cats are going and I still need msd and gauges. Thank you for your guys help I will look into those other head when I get the money, hopefully within the next year!

--------------------

Deftone37
¯
Member # 563

MRBiggs: Gotcha, thanks.

--------------------
'98 GT
mostly stock

armabu20
¯
Member # 860

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for armabu20  Ford pictures for armabu20    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I saw a bullit intake slightly ported with throttle body on ebay. I don't know if it will fit on your car. I think the starting bid was 200. I was considering it for my 01 GT but my car is not blown (yet).
Posts: 107 | From: Milpitas, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com