Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Rebuild

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Rebuild
Dennis Dowell
¯
Member # 305

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Dowell  Ford pictures for Dennis Dowell    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm thinking about building my own short block(s).
How difficult is it?
I'm not a mechanic and have never done this before. Am I biting off more than I can chew?
I want to build the following:
Chevy 383
Ford 331

Posts: 66 | From: fremont, ca, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Jesse
¯
Member # 312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse  Ford pictures for Jesse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's not hard if you have the right resources.

I might reccomend rebuilding a 350 before trying to build a 383. That way if something goes wrong you have not lost as much money. Also I believe a with a 383 you need to change cranks.

You will need to have the machine work done since you probably do not own most of the machines. That is going to cost you around $530. That includes having the heads re-built and block bored and honed. I bored mine myself (used the schools borring bar) and had it honed by a shop.

Good luck and have fun.

Jesse

Posts: 1342 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As long as it's a simple rebuild you have nothing to lose besides a few hundred bucks and some time. I feel everyboby has to start somewhere and expierence counts for everything.
Hey- call if you still want that intake soon...

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id be more than happy to help you out with that.

It is not rocket science.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com