Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Commerce   » FOR(D) SALE:   » Need 1991 mustang harness and ECU

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need 1991 mustang harness and ECU
tribal3579warrior
¯
Member # 5663

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribal3579warrior  Ford pictures for tribal3579warrior    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So here is the deal. I did a 5.0 conversion on a 1991 coupe with a 92 engine thinking that was all I needed (a newer engine for inspection) for verification. I used a complete 1989 5.0 harness from front to back and thought thy this would be ok. Well this is what I just learned from the BAR Ref; the car doesn't have to be inspected by a Ref as long as the car complies with the same year smog/vacuum configuration for the 5.0 and uses the same year ECU.

What I need is a complete 1991 harness and ECU from a 91. I may even go with a 1992-1993 harness and just take the car to the Ref and inspected. However, if I go with 92-93, I will need to document where it was purchased from. I will need a sales receipt (even if generic) and a copy of your CDL (for my personal security) since part of their verification process is to check for any stolen parts.

Would rather do an even swap with someone that is also doing a swap on an 89 mustang just to save the extra step of having to be inspected by a Ref.

LX347hatch
¯
Member # 8668

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LX347hatch  Ford pictures for LX347hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can only use a 91 harness in 92 and 93 they put the fuel pump relay on the harness and your 91 has it under the driver seat.
Posts: 1416 | From: El Sobrante | Registered: Sep 2008  |  :
tribal3579warrior
¯
Member # 5663

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribal3579warrior  Ford pictures for tribal3579warrior    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I failed to include that it has to be a complete harness frpm from to back...
tribal3579warrior
¯
Member # 5663

** from front to back
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have the 1991 only computer harness available (perfect condition)
PM sent

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
contact lee he had one when i was going to get a 91.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

flores50
¯
Member # 9122

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for flores50  Ford pictures for flores50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much would u sell the 89 ecu n harness for?
tribal3579warrior
¯
Member # 5663

Hey flores50. I would sell it for whatever price I am able to buy another harness or close to it. I'm looking for a complete harness from engine, dash to the fuel pump.
flores50
¯
Member # 9122

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for flores50  Ford pictures for flores50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pm sent
tribal3579warrior
¯
Member # 5663

70mach351 - who is lee?
tribal3579warrior
¯
Member # 5663

TTT - still looking for harness (engine, ecu, dash and harness to the tailights/fuel pump). I may be able to reuse the front light harness that I currently have from the 89(?).
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am Lee, I have a complete 92 Mustang here, it was made April 1992, if that helps. All my 91 Harnesses have been sold.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
tribal3579warrior
¯
Member # 5663

quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
I am Lee, I have a complete 92 Mustang here, it was made April 1992, if that helps. All my 91 Harnesses have been sold.

I may go with the 92 harness and ECU. That would mean I would have to change the vacuum setup to match the 92 year per the ref.
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I really dont think there is a difference on the 91 V8 Vacumm lines vs. a 92 V8 Vacuum lines. To make it legal you need a computer and harness from a 91 or newer Mustang. Otherwise there isnt a difference on the smog setup from 1989 to 1993, that I know of. I think the Ref will be looking for the part number on the harness to verify from which year it came from.
tribal3579warrior
¯
Member # 5663

quote:
I really dont think there is a difference on the 91 V8 Vacumm lines vs. a 92 V8 Vacuum lines. To make it legal you need a computer and harness from a 91 or newer Mustang. Otherwise there isnt a difference on the smog setup from 1989 to 1993, that I know of. I think the Ref will be looking for the part number on the harness to verify from which year it came from.

He gave two printouts; 1991 and 1992 vacuum diagrams. He gave me two options that I can go with. The first, go all 1991 since the car is a 1991 and take it to any smog shop. The second, go with a newer year (ECU and vacuum) and go back to Ref. He presented me the 1992 vacuum diagram only because I provided a receipt for the engine that I dropped in. The engine didn't even really mattered to him because the efi 5.0's were basically the same engine. He was more concerned about ECU and vacuum. And the vacuum diagrams that he provided shows a little difference between the two. The 92 diagram shows an extra solenoid valve and a MAP sensor. I just want to make sure that I am doing everything legit per Ref or BAR.
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

I would love to see the difference and your diagram, right now I have a complete 90 and 92 Mustang here, I will try to see if I see a difference.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

tribal3579warrior
¯
Member # 5663

quote:
I would love to see the difference and your diagram, right now I have a complete 90 and 92 Mustang here, I will try to see if I see a difference.

How can I upload a scanned copy of the diagrams that the ref provided?
tribal3579warrior
¯
Member # 5663

I couldn't figure out how to attach pix. I uploaded pix in Ford Pictures...
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That first diagram is incorrect !!

First diagram is NOT of 1992, someone wrote that on a speed density(86/87)diagram.
Second diagram is correct, the "BAP" sensor will NOT be on that diagram (nor should it be on the first) as it doesn't require manifold vacuum so there is no vacuum hose.
The CA.1988-1993 all use the same vacuum hose configuration.

All 1988+ with MAF use a BAP sensor and NOT a MAP sensor as shown in first diagram (this is because there is NO vacuum hose attached to a BAP sensor)
The MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure)sensor uses manifold vacuum to calculate engine load, this is used on speed density (86-88non CA.)setups.
MAF setups use a BAP sensor (Barometric Absolute Pressure)which uses atmospheric pressure as a reference point only and relies on the MAF meter for engine load calculations.
If you look at first picture you will see the "MAP" sensor with hose to manifold vacuum.
Second picture

More than ya ever wanted to know about MAF/MAP/BAP [worship]

Gotta love the state .... How can they certify a vehicle when they don't have the incorrect information ?????? [Confused]

flores50
¯
Member # 9122

Deepee...

[ February 25, 2011, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: flores50 ]

flores50
¯
Member # 9122

^^ [Eek!] u really know ur stuff!! [worship]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com