Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » How are you guys loading your drag car on your car hauler?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How are you guys loading your drag car on your car hauler?
Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olie Malit  Ford pictures for Olie Malit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just bought my car hauler that is perfect length and width for my car. however, i wanted to test load my car on it, FAIL!!! the trailer only comes with 4 feet ramps and even with the front of the trailer jacked all the way up.

my friend has two of those ramps people use to drive onto and we put those at the end of the trailer ramps and still, FAIL!!!

I wanted to try what i've seen guys do at the track and place ramps onto onto the trucks rear tires to really put a big angle on the trailer. i put the ramps on there and my front tires spoiler still scraps alot on it and still, FAIL.

WTF?!?!?! any help would be appreciated. i guess i could maybe remove my front plastic spoiler to help but don't know by how much.

Posts: 121 | From: Yuba City Cali | Registered: Jun 2011  |  :
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Would longer ramps work?
Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
02angrybird
¯
Member # 11259

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 02angrybird  Ford pictures for 02angrybird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A friend of mine has these home made ramps that he puts under the trailer ramps.

--------------------
KIH Willie Guzman
2002 WS6 RIP
2009 G8 GT DD
97 taco 4X4
98 TA under construction

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.reverselogic.us/ReverseLogicLimited/Home.html
Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olie Malit  Ford pictures for Olie Malit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
much longer ramps have to work but probably have to be in the 8 foot length at least. i don't know how longer the u haul ones were but they were definitely longer than the ones my trailer came with.

i'd like if there was something i can just lay over my current ones so i don't have to store something 1/2 the legnth of the trailer at all times.

i am now wishing i really knew how to weld cuz the ramps i have are only really 2 inch angle steel welded all together. a 4 foot ramp looks like its only about 14 feet total of 2 inch angle.

i might want to try reversing my hitch, jacking up the trailer with a jack and wood and maybe just remove my front plastic spoiler which has been taking abuse from scrappage.

Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

i just got done searching for race ramps and longer ramps at a mind boggling prices. then i came across a simple uhaul site that has tips on how to load lowered cars onto their trailers (idon't have much problems loading onto their trailers)

i'm going to place 2x12's under the ramps making it longer. i'm probably just going to get 5.5 feet slabs at a time so they can be loaded into the bed of the truck going to the track.

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
seems like you got it worked out now.. i was going to say put 2" x 16" planks on top of your ramps.. should give you a smooth enough angle to get on the trailer.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my old car was low in the front so I doubled the ramps from 4 feet to 8 feet with some angle iron, and would back my truck up onto some plastic ramps like they sell at auto zone. This would get the trailer nose in the air and not fuck up my car or longtubes.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

i think i got it handled somewhat for now. my wifes 07 gt is about 6 inches from the frontends lowest point and mine being 5.5. if i took off the plastic front spoiler the lowest point of the valance is 7.75.

i got the wife's stang on there with no damage, so i can either remove the front spoiler and definitely make it so make the boards like i said earliar and not remove the spoiler.

here is a link where i posted some pictures.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-finally-bought-my-personal-car-haulers-problem-though?pid=57294

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Olie,

We can make those ramps longer. Shouldn't be an issue. Figure out how much longer they need to be and drop them off.

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

quote:
Originally posted by Notch1320:
Olie,

We can make those ramps longer. Shouldn't be an issue. Figure out how much longer they need to be and drop them off.

i might as well start off with new angle iron instead of trying to make these longer.

the oem trailer has 3.5 angle iron, maybe just 2 inch angle iron will be strong enough and if their are 8 feet long i'll need to stack them in the storage area. the storage area is only 4 inches tall.

Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

with the thoughts of spending almost $200 on angle iron and flat stock to support a 3700lbs vehicle on there, i decided to go ahead and spend 275 + 65 shipping on alumium made 8 foot ramps instead. should solve the lowered front end problem loading onto the vehicle.
70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
back your truck up onto ramps, it will make it at a usable incline, thats whay i used to have to do, i was in the same boat, race ramps still didnt help.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

BLK35th
CAFords OG
Member # 4685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK35th  Ford pictures for BLK35th    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IDk about drag car, but when my car was out of order for a while and I had to tow it places, I would back the trailer onto the sidewalk but not on my driveway. The rear tires of the trailer would sit right in the gutter. Idk how low your car is.

--------------------
hahahahaha

Posts: 1412 | From: 650-408-510-415 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com