Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » strip tips?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: strip tips?
Ken
¯
Member # 9328

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Ken  Ford pictures for Ken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've never been on a drag strip in my life, but I'd like to give it a go sometime soon. I've been into road coursing for awhile and really enjoy the hell out of it. However, I love watching drag racing on TV, reading people's time slips, and learning about how they get through the 1/4 quicker.

So I've got a few real basic questions that shouldn't be too tough for a crowd like this.
Please excuse me for being a bonehead.

1) Where do I go? I know Sac Raceway is a drag strip, but I've never been. Is that the best track for a noob like me to start out? Wednesday night is what I've heard around town for street legals. Anything I should know in advance about the place to help prepare? Registration? Or do you just show up with a running car?

2) I'm running street tires on all of my cars and have no plans on investing in drag radials anytime soon. Am I supposed to warm these up like I see everyone else doing or is that just for a guy with slicks? Seriously, I don't know.

3) What other tips/tricks do you have for a guy that's sitting on the line for the first time? I mean real basic stuff like engine RPM before the launch or proper time to shift etc.

Thanks for any input.

Ken

--------------------
08 Shelby GT #1292
05 F-150 STX
66 Mustang 2+2

StreakMatt
¯
Member # 6257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreakMatt  Ford pictures for StreakMatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I assume you're gonna be taking the blown Shelby GT right?

Yes Sac Raceway is cool place to take your 'Stang. It doesn't matter if you've never been before. Wednesday night is where you want to start at. $15 to run your car, you dont need any registration or anything. Just show up. Only equipment you will need is a helmet for 13.99 sec. and faster. Try and be around a 1/4 tank of gas, anymore than that is extra weight!! [Big Grin] ...*EDIT*Oh yeah wear long pants too, no shorts.

If you are gonna be running street tires then first thing is dont pull through the water box. Water will get in between the tread and leak out at the line and make traction worse. Pull around it and do a quick short burn out just to clean the tires off, anything after that is useless.

The launch is gonna be the most difficult thing you do. Street tires makes it worse but thats what you have for now. You say you have no plans in buying some DR's, well thats what we all say first couple times out lol. You are gonna want to best your time and run the car to its potential. Let some little riced out Honda beat you because you were stuck spinning at the line with all that power and see how you feel after lol.

Launch RPM will vary with each car. I would start at around 1500 and go up from there. With street tires and a stick i assume, you will have to ride the clutch, slipping it slowly as you press the throttle down. You dont want to just dump the clutch you will have massive spin lol. You want to keep the tires just on the edge of spinning. Dont shift into 2nd gear hard cause you will break traction, shift easy. Then you can bang 3rd and 4th. When you pull around the back after exiting from the strip you will come to a small booth where they will give you your timeslip.

[ July 21, 2009, 03:54 AM: Message edited by: streakmatt ]

--------------------
Custom Blue '88 GT: Garage Built= MM&FF January 2012 Cover and Feature. Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Black '03 Cobra: 2.9 Whipple Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Posts: 1198 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Ken
¯
Member # 9328

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken  Ford pictures for Ken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're probably right on the drag radials LOL..
I said that I wouldn't buy a lot of things when I first started out on the road course, but now I'm running a Griggs Racing suspension and a pile of bolt ons.
But you're right, I'd like to give the Shelby a go at the strip first and see how I like it. If it sucks, then no sweat, I go back to what I know.
If I love it, then I have a direction to go with my 66 instead of just show car/cruiser.
Thanks for the info though man, I appreciate it a lot. Traction and engine speed are my biggest concerns. I guess I should find an empty road outside of town to practice my launch on.

Ken

p.s. The thought of getting dusted by a $5k ricer has kept me from the strip for a long while! [burnout]

--------------------
08 Shelby GT #1292
05 F-150 STX
66 Mustang 2+2

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ken!

You are going to need DR's and 100 octane if you want to race that thing down the 1320. We already know its on borrowed time due to the amount of power. Also, make sure to put a real plug in the intake pipe. [Wink]

Drew

AED

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Ken
¯
Member # 9328

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken  Ford pictures for Ken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow94GT:
Ken!

You are going to need DR's and 100 octane if you want to race that thing down the 1320. We already know its on borrowed time due to the amount of power. Also, make sure to put a real plug in the intake pipe. [Wink]

Drew

AED

Hey Drew! Thanks for the help man. I've got that intake tube plugged up already, courtesy of Home Depot! [Wink]

--------------------
08 Shelby GT #1292
05 F-150 STX
66 Mustang 2+2

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
also need a battery tie-down and all your lugnuts.

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
19mystic96
¯
Member # 7553

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 19mystic96  Ford pictures for 19mystic96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i used these tips when i went to the track.. they helped me a lot..

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/317684-rippinsvts-96-98-cobra-track-tips-newbies-sticky-please.html

--------------------
1996 Mystic cobra #32

OZZY
¯
Member # 9017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OZZY  Ford pictures for OZZY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 19mystic96:
i used these tips when i went to the track.. they helped me a lot..

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/317684-rippinsvts-96-98-cobra-track-tips-newbies-sticky-please.html

HAHA I like the part with the dead hookers! Really good post cleared a lot of questions.
+1 [worship]

--------------------
"Im the type of guy that can admire a great body doesn't matter the make."

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com