Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » New personal best...and finals in TT5

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: New personal best...and finals in TT5
Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want to formally thank the guys that were in the not so “SOLO” camp this weekend including my brother Gary, Norm Chang, and Sharkey in the "True 10.5" class for WCHRA. These guys did the necessary wrenching to get the car setup between rounds, helped troubleshoot on some things, brainstorm on ways to make rounds, and film the runs. I’d like to extend thanks to Twin Fogger Todd who has snuck out of the Bowman camp once or twice (ok…more than that, but don’t tell Dave) to watch the car go down the track and provide ideas for managing the power.

I want to extend my utmost gratitude and thanks to DJ. For those that may not know, DJ is not just the the guy making it happen at the track, but he is the guy that gets the car TO the track. DJ has countless numbers of hours on my car in preparation for new combos, implementing new ideas, or just thrashing to make sure we get the necessary testing before a WCHRA race. There have been times where he left work early (while I was still at work) to go work on the car by himself. Just two weeks ago on a day that I had family commitment, he came over and spent about the full day working on the car by himself to ensure that it was going to be ready for the WCHRA race. The man has even gone as far as brining over his own parts, tools, or whatever is necessary to make sure the car is setup. He’s even pulled his car out of Harris Fabrications so that mine could go in and get some work done.

I’d also like to extend my appreciation and thanks for everything I’ve received to date from Rick Santos and family at S&S Automotive, Steve Johnson @ Induction Solutions, Jim Harris @ Harris Fabrications, and Adam Calderon @ Calderon Tires (Alum Rock). These guys have come through time and time again to help me make it out to the races.

All of the help above allowed for a new personal best in the Mustang…running an 8.09 @ 172 in the 1/4 mile.

Saturday night in eliminations we faced three NorCal guys including Chris Alston Jr. in Round 1, Ron McSwain in Round 2, and Paul Frates in Round 3. The closest was the race against Ron McSwain who I’ve raced 3 times now…all three times we’ve raced, the winner’s margin of victory is less than .1. In the finals, we were facing that no-name guy with the orange Nova…roger something. Kidding…we faced off against Roger Holder in his bad ass Nova. He had been 5.0 and 4.9 throughout eliminations, and our best was a 5.2 (on the 8.0 pass). We could have gone conservative and ‘hoped’ for a mistake or we could put the ball in our court. We put what we felt was a 4.9/5.0 tune up in the car and launched hard. The car drove left while the front tires were still in the air and we had to abort the run. Holder took the victory with a convincing 5.01 run. I must say it was nice facing Holder in the finals vs. first round as was the case in last year’s final race @ Sac.

Here are a few videos of the 1/4 mile test pass:

From the stands

From the lanes

[ June 09, 2009, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Team SOLO ]

--------------------
'88 Mustang Coupe: 8.02 @ 170

Posts: 3887 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Great job!

Looks to me like the car leaves the line nice and straight.

What does it 60' now?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
Great job!

Looks to me like the car leaves the line nice and straight.

What does it 60' now?

On the 1/4 mile pass it was 1.34...but we've been a best of a 1.23 with this combo. We're really easing it out of the hole and barely lift the tires when doing it that way.

In the finals against Holder, we put much more power to the ground and got a 1.26 on the rear tires.

--------------------

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WOW!

Congrats!
Must be nice hangin' with those Big Dogs (best of the best).

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it looks so smooth... its deceptive... crazy fast!
Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Great job and congrats to you and everyone involved with the car! we know its been a long time coming! [burnout]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
8stang8
¯
Member # 8082

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8stang8  Ford pictures for 8stang8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WTF 1.23 60 ft. [Eek!] .... thats gotta be a cafords new?

Any body know what 66accobra 60 ft on that dollar race a couple months back... 1.18s??

How much longer till SEVENS?!?!

--------------------
Fox body coupe: 347, TKO, 3.73s, 9.93 @ 143

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Congrats, that is flying! I have not heard this name in a while "Norm Chang"! Wasn't he the previous owner of your coupe? Is he still racing? [patriot]

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

quote:
Originally posted by 8stang8:

Any body know what 66accobra 60 ft on that dollar race a couple months back... 1.18s??

Eric has gone in the 1.teens with his. I want to say that it went 1.17. If memory serves me correct...it goes 1.teens on a good track prep day and a low 1.2 on a bad track prep day.

7s? Soon...we progressively brought in the first kit over 1.5 seconds and brought in the second kit from 1.5 to 3 seconds on the 8.0 pass! We're trying to turn up the wick and learn the suspension while doing that.

--------------------

Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

quote:
Originally posted by forced331:
Congrats, that is flying! I have not heard this name in a while "Norm Chang"! Wasn't he the previous owner of your coupe? Is he still racing? [patriot]

Yep…same car. I got it as a shell…roof and quarters…with a cage on jackstands back in September of 2001. It went through a lot of transitions and combos before we actually brought it out in April of 2005 for the first time.

I believe Norm stopped racing back in 2003 and has raced vicariously through me ever since. One day at the track with me means he spends the next week or two looking at class rules for PSCA and WCHRA while browsing racing junk for an Outlaw car. My fingers are crossed that he gets back in the game! [Big Grin]

--------------------

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You and Kevin should line up! That would be something to see!

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Team SOLO:
quote:
Originally posted by 8stang8:

Eric has gone in the 1.teens with his. I want to say that it went 1.17. If memory serves me correct...it goes 1.teens on a good track prep day and a low 1.2 on a bad track prep day.

7s? Soon...we progressively brought in the first kit over 1.5 seconds and brought in the second kit from 1.5 to 3 seconds on the 8.0 pass! We're trying to turn up the wick and learn the suspension while doing that.

thanks greg, almost correct [Big Grin]

1.18 is my best, track wasnt good but not terrible
on a terrible/hot as shit day its a 1.20-1.21

but, that not with the front tires, I'm riding the bars past the 60' beams [Razz]

next go aorund I'm putting a brake in it, will be a different combo but I would bet I could have dropped it even more the way it was with a brake only

Greg - congrats on the win, induction solutions power, cant wait until the real jets go in
[Eek!]

PS - i called steve this morning...........

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAMACH1  Ford pictures for SAMACH1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
66accobra and TEAMSOLO youre guys cars are pure bad ass!!!!!!!!!! TeamSolo your car sounded like it was going 100mph idling....def. inspired me to turn my 90lx into an all out drag car.....

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com