Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Bad Race Gas in Sacramento

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad Race Gas in Sacramento
MAXPSI
¯
Member # 8093

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MAXPSI  Ford pictures for MAXPSI    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Last Saturday we had a dyno day at SVS R&D. My buddy and I were getting tuned on 100 octane and had gotten 10 gallons from the pump at the corner of Watt and Cottage I think (76 Station). At first my car was missing really bad and we thoguht it was a set a plugs so we changed them out. Car drove fine on the trip down from Chico. Zero issues. Still missed badly. We added a crap load of timing and fuel and ended up making a pull at 550 hp and 550 tq @15.5 psi still missing intermitantly. The tuner was not happy with the tune as the timing was higher than he cared to set it at. Being that my motor is built he tried it out. The road test brought back the miss so bad the car was only drivable while cruising back to the shop. I drained all but 3 gallons out of the tank and filled it with Chevron 91, switched to my 91 tune and the car still ran crappy, missing etc. Went through that complete tank and refilled. All is well.

My buddy who also put in 10 gallons could not even complete one dyno pull.

We talked to the guy who supplies the race fuel to the station and he said he hasn't filled the 100 octane tank in over a year.

So for those who need race gas, find it else where.

We talked to a VP gas distributor and he said he was working on a place to dispose of our fuel and replace it free of charge.

--------------------
quote:
Just your average turbo'd Mustang 530 rwhp 550 rwtq

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was wondering when that might happen at that station. They don't get a lot of buisness for their race gas. You're lucky it didn't hurt your motor.

I'd recommend contacting the local Race Gas distributor & buying it by the 5, 15, 35, or 54gal drum with a pump. It's really the only way to ensure you're getting the correct fuel. This is what we do & haven't had any issues.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yikes! Good looking out. [worship]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
MAXPSI
¯
Member # 8093

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MAXPSI  Ford pictures for MAXPSI    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can actually get the drums at wholesale but haven't pulled the trigger. It's only 20-30cents a gallon cheaper so it's not that big of a break.

As far as hurting the motor. I am very happy about that also. I would not want to put out several thousand to have it rebuilt.

If this weather was little better I would finsih off the gas that is in there and refill it.

Is there any other places that have it at the pump that may be more relaible as far as quality goes? I know Wheatland has a staion with 100octane.

--------------------
quote:

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check out this thread for a list of race gas locations:
It doesn't have them all, & most are not at the pump, but it's still a good resource:

http://www.norcal1320.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16019

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
blkfoxbody89
5.O
Member # 8361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blkfoxbody89  Ford pictures for blkfoxbody89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shit, i got gas from that station about a month ago and i had no prob. i actually picked up a tenth and a mph on my quarter. maybe i got lucky.

--------------------
'89 gt
'90 gt

Posts: 976 | From: sacramento | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
MAXPSI
¯
Member # 8093

quote:
Originally posted by blkfoxbody89:
shit, i got gas from that station about a month ago and i had no prob. i actually picked up a tenth and a mph on my quarter. maybe i got lucky.

If you are getting the ruglar 91 oct it should be fine.

The 100 oct created havic when the boost came in.

We found a supplier in town that is going to take the bad gas off our hands and give us 20 gallons free. He told me the pump 100 octane is different from the cans. Pump fuel is oxygenated and has additives. Race fuel in the can lacks those things. After thinking awbout it I knew he was right. If you spill pump gas on your hands they will smell for a while. The 100 oct evaporated like the other gas but your hand doesn't stink forever. Maybe it's in my head.

--------------------
quote:

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com