Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » 10's Without Cage at Sac? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 10's Without Cage at Sac?
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How strict are the guys now at Sac on safety infractions? How many 10 second passes can I get w/o a cage before I get kicked out?

Which is the best event to do this at. Is it easier to get away with on a test and tune night or a bracket event?

I just went 11.40 at 125.6mph at Infineon with my crappy Nittos and they told me that if I go under 11.50 again then I can not come back until I put a cage in the car. They know my car, so I am sure that they are not bluffing. He was definitely serious this time. I have it set up to run 11.55-11.70 now on my Nittos, but I really want to see what it will do with my ET Streets and my 126mph setup. I ran 11.42 @ 120mph with those tires, so the extra 5-6mph should get me really close to the 10's. I have to put the kids in car seats in the back right now and drop them off on the way to the track, so I can not put a cage in right now.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
Tinner
¯
Member # 2688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tinner  Ford pictures for Tinner    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sac gave me the boot after one 11.4 run on a Saturday tnt. I just put a MM 6pt roll bar in my car w/ a removable harness mount,I could still get car seats in the back w/ the harness mount removed.

--------------------
04 Comp. Orange mach 1
AED built
2.3 Whipple@17#s
605rwhp
580rwtq
10.71@131mph
now with a little more power it goes 135mph+ on 18" DRs

Posts: 835 | From: santa rosa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phat50  Ford pictures for phat50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey craig, My friend ran 11.2s all day long without a cage at sac so maybe you can sneek a 10 sec pass in before they say something. [patriot]

[ March 30, 2008, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: phat50 ]

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

Posts: 2860 | From: Richmond / Valley jo/ Petaluma | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I honestly think it depend's on who is working and the overall mood at sac, sometimes they don't even tech Your car and let You run what You brung and othertimes they are more like infenion. I have the MM 6 point with swing out's and have alway's breen able to get My daughter in the back with the car seat [Wink] .

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Tinner:
Sac gave me the boot after one 11.4 run on a Saturday tnt. I just put a MM 6pt roll bar in my car w/ a removable harness mount,I could still get car seats in the back w/ the harness mount removed.

Did you get the legal bolt-in or did you weld-in?

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Tinner
¯
Member # 2688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tinner  Ford pictures for Tinner    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by forced331:
quote:

Did you get the legal bolt-in or did you weld-in?
It's a bolt-in

--------------------
04 Comp. Orange mach 1
AED built
2.3 Whipple@17#s
605rwhp
580rwtq
10.71@131mph

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I really want a 10 second slip, but I don't know if all the BS will be worth it to go all the way to Sac for only one pass, which might end up being an 11.15.

My clutch will probably only be good for one pass on the sticky tires anyway. I was hoping that they would at least let me slow it down and run some more. I would put my Nittos back on and my 3.6" pulley.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:
I really want a 10 second slip, but I don't know if all the BS will be worth it to go all the way to Sac for only one pass, which might end up being an 11.15.

My clutch will probably only be good for one pass on the sticky tires anyway. I was hoping that they would at least let me slow it down and run some more. I would put my Nittos back on and my 3.6" pulley.

To tell Ya the truth it was a good feeling when I put the cage in and did'nt have to worry about track official's fuckin with Me anymore. You don't have many option's at this point so go get Your 10 second slip and start saving for a 6 point [burnout] .

--------------------

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Tinner, when will you be back at Infineon? I would like to see how the bar looks in the car. I really want a super clean job. A bar will kind of ruin my sleeper look! The car is super clean and looks all stock.

Can the crotch belt in the 5-point harness come from the front of the seat, or do you have to have a race seat with a hole in the middle of it for the belt?

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats the same cage that I just installed into my car. MM 6-point with swing-outs.

--------------------

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
Tinner, when will you be back at Infineon? I would like to see how the bar looks in the car. I really want a super clean job. A bar will kind of ruin my sleeper look! The car is super clean and looks all stock.

Can the crotch belt in the 5-point harness come from the front of the seat, or do you have to have a race seat with a hole in the middle of it for the belt?

I have stock seat's and have passed tech at infenion & sac [patriot] .

--------------------

Tinner
¯
Member # 2688

-
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
04 Comp. Orange mach 1
AED built
2.3 Whipple@17#s
605rwhp
580rwtq
10.71@131mph

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

That looks clean!

--------------------

StreakMatt
¯
Member # 6257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreakMatt  Ford pictures for StreakMatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used to be able to run 10's all day (no cage) without any hassle, BUT it always depended on who was doing the Tech on the cars. Certain people would enforce the rules and some would let it slide. I've heard that its more strict nowadays, like Tinner's car went 1 run under 11.5 and they told him to pack it up. I just got mine back together and I'm thinking of taking it out to TNT on the 19th, or the first Grudge night on the 26th. The next 2 weeks they are having events so no TNT other than this Friday 12-4.

--------------------
Custom Blue '88 GT: Garage Built= MM&FF January 2012 Cover and Feature. Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Black '03 Cobra: 2.9 Whipple Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Posts: 1198 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
StreakMatt
¯
Member # 6257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreakMatt  Ford pictures for StreakMatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DP

[ March 31, 2008, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: streakmatt ]

--------------------
Custom Blue '88 GT: Garage Built= MM&FF January 2012 Cover and Feature. Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Black '03 Cobra: 2.9 Whipple Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Posts: 1198 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
MAXPSI
¯
Member # 8093

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MAXPSI  Ford pictures for MAXPSI    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tinner your cage looks great.

I'm considering getting one this summer if time and money allow. I ride like gangster in my car, not to look cool but cause it's comfy for me. I wonder how much wiggle room is in the cage for making it comfortable.

--------------------
quote:
Just your average turbo'd Mustang 530 rwhp 550 rwtq

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

So is the bar behind the seats removable? Is that what the removable harness mount is?

That would work if that bar was removable. I just don't want to lose access to the rear seats.

There are actually several other obstackles for me however. I told my wife that I needed to get a cage and some ET Streets before Pinks shows up and she told me that I would also be getting some divorce papers!! I will have to run it detuned for a while longer. If I get a cage, I will want ET Streets which are almost $400 and an upgraded drivetrain to handle the extra power on sticky tires. I still have the stock axles and I am not sure how much abuse the 3550 can take. That is another grand for the clutch and rearend parts plus the cost of the cage which I think is over $400.

Yep, I will need a couple years for that one! Maybe when my youngest gets into a booster seat which will be much easier to put in the car.

I probably won't be making the trip to Sac. Too much money for gas and gate fees for one pass, even if it is in the 10's.

Thanks for the info guys,
Craig

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Tinner
¯
Member # 2688

quote:
So is the bar behind the seats removable? Is that what the removable harness mount is?

Yes

--------------------
04 Comp. Orange mach 1
AED built
2.3 Whipple@17#s
605rwhp
580rwtq
10.71@131mph

MachYou
¯
Member # 7934

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MachYou  Ford pictures for MachYou    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Yes
that isnt legal for track use...at that point its useless to get a roll bar...

--------------------
All Bullshit Stops When the Hands Drop

Posts: 726 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Tinner
¯
Member # 2688

I have seen people get away w/ it at the track , if they have a problem w/ it I'll weld it.

[ March 31, 2008, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Tinner ]

--------------------
04 Comp. Orange mach 1
AED built
2.3 Whipple@17#s
605rwhp
580rwtq
10.71@131mph

gtstang03
¯
Member # 5472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gtstang03  Ford pictures for gtstang03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks good man, exact same bar i am going to go with.

--------------------
03 gt black
out with the NOVI, in with t-76 :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk8T3y9bkGU

Posts: 132 | From: redding, ca | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have ran MULTIPLE mid 10 sec passes without a cage. But they still yell at me [Big Grin] I wait a few months inbetween trips so they forget about the car. But then they get pissed when you run a 10 again and they remember yelling at you before. they can be really kewl on some things, but Ya DONT wanna piss them off [Whoo Whooooo!]
Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need more than just a rollbar. Rollbar only needs to be 5 point, passenger door bar is optional
To run 10.99 you will also need:
c-clip eliminators or welded 9" ends
Aftermarket axles
driveshaft safety loop (regardless of tires, only needed for slicks when running 11.00 or slower
5 point harness
SFI approved jacket
SFI approved harmonic balancer
SFI approved clutch and flywheel
SFI approved bellhousing

I think there is more, I will have to check my rulebook once I get home

Brian

[ April 02, 2008, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

I forgot about the axles, but if I try to run with this much power and sticky tires, I will definitely upgrade the axles first. They have to be aftermarket but do not require c-clip eliminators. I also need to upgrade the clutch to handle it, so I will ditch my CFDF and get an SFI clutch. My damper and flywheel are SFI approved and I have a loop and jacket. My bellhousing is the steel McCLeod scattershield, but I don't remember seeing any stamp on it. It better be SFI approved!

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How about a better question how strict are they about convertibles at sac? I know many people that have ran there cars nemerous times in the 10's with no cage. They bitch a little here and there. I'm sure its worse with convertibles. I don't plan on going into the 10's with it. But I'm thinking 11.9-11.7 How many runs before they throw me out? [Big Grin]

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com