Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Tranny and Rearend died

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tranny and Rearend died
Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I did hurt it badly, but it wasn't beat up like I though. When we tried to pull the driveshaft out at the track Saturday night, there was little to no end play at all!!!!

The guy that built my tranny pulled it apart and it looked as brand new as the day he built it. First thing he said was 'check your ring and pinion, this tranny is fine'. He was just glancing over everything and said 'there is nothing wrong with this thing'. Then he remembered me telling him on the phone about the end play issue, looked at the output shaft and sure enough...it was twisted bad. Tranny should be done by the weekend and cutting the driveshaft down about 3/4".

[ April 21, 2005, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Team SOLO ]

--------------------
'88 Mustang Coupe: 8.02 @ 170

Posts: 3887 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Glad to hear it [Whoo Whooooo!] [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good shit, track next weekend [Confused]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
good shit, track next weekend [Confused]

Naw...with school till 11 on M/W, homework on Tuesday, hanging with my boy on Thursday, and giving my wife 'time off' from the house/kid...I'll get it in this weekend or sometime next week. I'll be back very soon though [patriot]

--------------------

Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just confirmed that the ass end blew up too [Mad]

-

--------------------

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Team SOLO:
Just confirmed that the ass end blew up too [Mad]

-

OUCH, just not your day! [Frown]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

jaybquick
¯
Member # 4286

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaybquick  Ford pictures for jaybquick  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
which posi unit is that?

--------------------
91 Mustang GT ET: 11.92@115
66 Mustang ET: 11.43@119
01 Audi S4 ET: 10.8@131
05 Audi S4 ET: 11.9@116
08 Audi S5 ET: 11.9@118

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jaybquick:
which posi unit is that?

factory open carrier (whats left of it)with a mini spool
Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yikes! [Eek!]

Can the stock carrier just not take the abuse or what? You would think your car would be somewhat easy on the rear compared to a heavy ass 5 speed SN or caged up fox.

What are you going to replce it with?

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Love those pics of destruction! If you're gonna break it- do it big!

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hope you are planing on just going to a full spool. Bummer.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
I hope you are planing on just going to a full spool. Bummer.

Oh ya...transmission is getting rebuilt as we speak. I should have that back no later than Wednesday. My brother and I are gonna look at the ring gear and axles to see if they are salvagable. If so, I'm gonna order the full spool on Monday and be running by next weekend. If I need the ring gear and axles...I'll probably be running around the same time but reallllllllly pissed off with the amount I have to spend [Big Grin]

--------------------

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Corky thats why they make full spools....guess it wasn't that smart to save the extra $100 to upgrade and instead using what you had just saved on beer while building the rear. [Big Grin]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
Hey Corky thats why they make full spools....guess it wasn't that smart to save the extra $100 to upgrade and instead using what you had just saved on beer while building the rear. [Big Grin]

[Mad]

This damn mini-spool was bought when I had a chump 347 that would be lucky to see 10.0 at best. Didn't ever expect that this thing would be runing a 9.5 on the motor.

Funny thing is, I had separate conversations with two of my friends that help me at the track. We talked about stepping up the rearend. Well, we all agreed it's time to step up [Big Grin]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com