Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » STS Rear Mount Turbo Truck #s

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: STS Rear Mount Turbo Truck #s
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know it's not a Ford so some of you wont care BUT I figure since it is a rear mount turbo that many people said would never work it would be cool. [Smile]

Well we finally got the kit on and all the accosciated stuff to go along with it. Rick and the guys at Synergy Motorsports did an awesome job on the whole setup! The wiring is clean and the turbo system looks sweet. The tuning is what really got me. The thing drives better than it did stock and smoother. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend then 100%! :usa:

As for the #s. I wasn't really happy with them at first because they sounded a bit low but I was also trying to compare them to Parish's 11-13psi runs on his 6.0L which was prolly not a good idea on my 5.3L w/ stock heads. [Wink]

At 13psi I made 436rwhp, 479rwtq

Now the funny thing is it makes 400rwhp from 4.2K RPM all the way to 6.5K RPM :eek2: TQ stays above 300rwtq through the whole graph also. It is the flatest dyno sheet for a turbo I have ever seen.

The IATs on this run were 160deg!!!!!

We sprayed the Alky but they wouldn't come down and only made the thing pig rich so right now my plans are wait for the new bigger turbo to get here and when money permits add an intercooler setup so I can run more boost and cool things down a lil better. So that's why I wasn't to saddened by my low #s. At 160deg IATs they actually look pretty damn good to me [Smile]

Here is a copy of my 13psi run.
http://my.starstream.net/f8lpony/Photos/Cars/Turbo%20Dyno1.jpg

On the street this thing ran awesome. No drivability issues at all. Spool time was equally impressive for this rear mount kit that isn't supposed to work and is supposed to produce TONS of lag. :eyes: Once I figure out how to transfer this video onto the computer I will post up some clips on my ride home last night. I would have had a good one with a C5 Vette but I think I scared him when I nailed it the first time. :devil:

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71
Old time = 12.33@110mph 1.85 60' New combo in progress.

Posts: 1292 | From: Sacramento, CA. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your right know one gives a shit! Its still going to be a big slow truck. [Big Grin]
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Turbo's are awesome.
Stock drivability, quiet, no lag, etc, etc......all make for an awesome sleeper.
Welcome to the world of the REAL power adder. [patriot]

BTW, exhaust mods make big gains with turbos. I gained ~25rwhp from dumps over tailpipes & straight-thru mufflers. [Eek!]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thx man,

I don't have any exhaust at this point. It dumps right out of the turbo [Smile]

I think my main problem is the intake air temps are way high. Once those come down I bet I can find another 50+HP. What do you think bro? I thought most turbo/supercharged cars should see somewhere around 100-115deg intake temps?

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ohh, I have a 3000rpm stall which is cloer to 3500 on boost and my 2nd gear runs till 90mph so that's why we started the dyno run so high.

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by F8LPONY:
I think my main problem is the intake air temps are way high. Once those come down I bet I can find another 50+HP. What do you think bro? I thought most turbo/supercharged cars should see somewhere around 100-115deg intake temps?

At 13psi 160* intake temps is not that bad. My old Novi2000 would get to about 180* @ 15psi with the ambient temp being in the 70's.

[ June 08, 2004, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What numbers did the truck put down prior to the turbo install?

--------------------

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Jeff, was that with an intercooler or Alky though?

I would have though the alky would have cooled it down more. [Frown]

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was the 160 degrees measured on the dyno or on the street?

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Was the 160 degrees measured on the dyno or on the street?

On the dyno. The place has a little tiny fan too so I'm sure that doesn't help. Pretty much everyone agreed that it wouldn't be as bad on the street. I can't remember but Rick said something about just over 100deg on the street but I dont know if that was cruising or at WOT for a bit.

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

quote:
Originally posted by F8LPONY:
Jeff, was that with an intercooler or Alky though?

I would have though the alky would have cooled it down more. [Frown]

No intercooler of any sort.

--------------------

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Don't worry about intake air temps. 160 isn't bad while on the dyno.
On the dyno my car gained 20RW from an 80mph wind blowing directly on the intercooler.

Don't race at the track in the heat of the day. I'm waiting till fall to go back to the track (either the last few Friday night TNT's, or Saturday morning TNT's later in the year).
The heat of the day will eat up more power then altitude in a Turbo motor.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Thx for the advice man.

I'm still learning this turbo thing but damn they are cool as hell!

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ok, I screwed up. My 160 IATs were take at the MAF which is BEFORE the point where the Alk is sprayed so my guess would be temps were in the low 100s at worst. I was wondering how we could run that much timing and boost and get no knock. LOL

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S:
What numbers did the truck put down prior to the turbo install?

[Razz]

--------------------

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

I dyno'd 302/290 but going by track times after some tuning I think I was at about 320rwhp or so. It just wasn't nearly the power under the curve that I have now. It's a TOTALLY diff beast on the street. We then changed to a turbo cam and bigger injectors. Also the long tube headers I have on it are fairly useless for power no since the Turbo is the restriction in my exhaust so they may come off and the stock units go back on.

I am gonna talk to STS today and see if a bigger turbo would help my #s climb a lil more. Hell I make 400rwhp right about the time I mash it and only see a 36hp gain throught the rpm band so I'm thinking there is still a restriction somewhere. I'm not complaining about it being so flat but I think there can be more HP for the amount of boost I am running. [Smile]

[ June 09, 2004, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: F8LPONY ]

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how does the rear-mount turbo affect off-roading capability? rain drivability? don't want to mod the C5 or ?? must be a fun DD now

[ June 09, 2004, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: JoeT ]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Depends on your idea of offroading I guess. For regular offroad where you are just driving down simple trails to go camping or fishing then it wont effect it at all. The kit tucks up high enough you don't lose a ton of ground clearance but i wouldn't recomend trying to go over rocks, fording streams or mudd boggin with it for sure unless you start modifying the skit with skid plates, filter relocation etc.

As for rains and regular puddles you'd be fine as long as you are not mashing it full throttle. The filter has a mesh "sock" that goes over it to inhibit large rain or dirt particles from getting to the actual filter which si cool so I am not worried about winter.

If you wanted to make this a full on offroad kit you could but I would not recomend it for Rubicon stuff where you are rolling over boulders. The rain/mud thing would be easily fixed by mounting the filter up higher or even into the bed. Then as long as you don't submerge the turbo you'd be fine. But for something that extreme you are better off with a roots/screw type supercharger instead [Smile]

I'm selling the C5 and keeping the T/A for daily driving. I don't care about running 10s in those cars. people expect it nowadays. But 11's in a 4x4 is always cool . [Smile]

[ June 09, 2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: F8LPONY ]

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok cool I was worried about that, and thought that a turbo might be prone to cracking from road-water spray or something like that. a truck *should* have plenty of clearance for mild off-roading now that I re-think it. definitely not for the mud though where at any moment you can be completely stuck and up to the doors [Razz]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com