Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » 67Stang takes AFR165 93 Cobra to Sac.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 67Stang takes AFR165 93 Cobra to Sac.
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well,
looks good! He put in Eibach pro springs at all 4 corners, so it does not weight transfer at all. BUT, Sawson, since you didn't believe the dyno numbers-

1.91 60ft.
8.30 at 84.8mph
12.84 at 110.54mph

launch at 2000, slight bog, barked 2nd. Higher launches spun hard. Brand new Nitto's.

Guess this means my dyno numbers at the same dyno weren't a fluke either... [Eek!]

And no- my car still didn't hook so it didn't run any better. But I had lots of fun racing Aaron.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Arron car was impressive last nite, 113 at 3320 race wt. Thanks jim I lost 1.00 betting on you. See you there tonight. Jim what does your car weight??? Arron guessed his at 3320 with driver. [burnout]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
About 3220 to 3250 depending on what day I weigh it at Sac.
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Last nitgh was a good time. Good job to the drivers [patriot]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Chirag's car is VERY impressive [Eek!] Sounds mild, and acts wild. Great job!

Jon- the 3320 weight was with Drew so with me it's 3370. I never did put it on the scale last night due to many hot laps at the end. Weird thing is that it ran 89.5 MPH in the 1/8 the first time out before I pulled some weight.

Drew's run-

12.26 at 113.97 1.82 60ft.

My best-

12.23 at 112.99 1.76 60ft. Hot lapped

I tried messing with shift points some and it liked the higher revs so I'll leave that alone. Next time I'll mess with the tuning. I've also got a few more mods coming to try and squeeze a little more power out of it and possiblly a gear swap. The ET Streets kill the gearing over the Nittos. It was a lot of fun though to finally get some runs in. I'll be back out soon.

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Congrats to everyone for running impressive times.

Jim, I'd like to quote myself from July 7th, 2003 regarding Chirag's car here:

http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=004601;p=2

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Just crunching some numbers..... if it weighs 3400 lbs going down the track, it should run 110 mph. Can't wait to hear the track results.

If I remember right, I was able to calculate your RWHP with-in 1-2HP based on your MPH as well.

[worship] my calclator [Razz]

See you guys tonight [burnout]

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

You like to quote yourself alot.

In my conversation w/ Chirag he stated that you were incredulous as to the accuracy of the dyno numbers and that only if the car ran 110 or better would you accept the dyno numbers. Do you deny saying this?

[ September 06, 2003, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: FasterDamnit ]

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
You like to quote yourself alot.

In my conversation w/ Chirag he stated that you were incredulous as to the accuracy of the dyno numbers and that only if the car ran 110 or better would you accept the dyno numbers. Do you deny saying this?

I seem to recall hearing this myself. He seemed to be waving the [BS flag] flag. As soon as I saw the 110's on the board, this was the first thing that popped into my head.

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No doubt myself (amoung others) were waiting for track numbers to confirm dyno numbers. Now that we have a match, congrats to Chirag, its a very impressive simple combo.

Speaking of quoting myself, here is another great quote from that same post in July:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
must be that cobra cam

Yeah, that's what I was thinking....

If you know how to grind a cam, please step forward:

-Ford

-AFM

-Ford Motorsport

-Ed@FTI

-Brian@Hi-Tech

-Comp Extreme Cams

.......Not so fast Edward [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

At least we now know know Eddies "secret grind" to make 300+ rwhp with AFR165's and a cobra intake [Big Grin] [Wink]

So it looks like all you need is one of those "junk" Cobra cams to make 320rwhp with AFR165's.... thats FTI's secret "custom" grind.... '93-95 Cobra cams [Big Grin] [Razz]
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Only reason I doubted it was because I have never heard of a stock shortblock + stock cam 300rwhp combo...

Often times its hard enough to pass the 300rwhp figure even with the cam

Kudos Chirag.
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

quote:
No doubt myself (amoung others) were waiting for track numbers to confirm dyno numbers. Now that we have a match, congrats to Chirag, its a very impressive simple combo.

So,
Other peoples proven power on that Dyno weren't good enough for you?

67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just got back from camping, thanks for posting Jim. Had a great time... nice meeting you guys and girl (Aaron, Rhett, Mark, Sean, Heather)
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good stuff Chirag [Wink] bring out your other stang [Razz]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

67stang
¯
Member # 549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang  Ford pictures for 67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
good stuff Chirag [Wink] bring out your other stang [Razz]

Thanks. Got warned last time not to bring the 67 back without a cage (or slower motor i presume, LOL)!
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Chirag, how does your car idle now after the head swap and cam retard? Any difference at all?
67stang
¯
Member # 549

quote:
Chirag, how does your car idle now after the head swap and cam retard? Any difference at all?

Hey Sawson,
It idles fine, maybe a little rougher which i attribute to the A9P auto computer thats in there now. I had some idle issues right after the head swap, which turned out to be combination of new throttle body and the tps coming loose.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Not bad. many factors (new TB, new MAF, fuel pressure, etc) can cause the rougher idle as well. For the most part, no one would think its not a stock cam right? Do you think a retarded 5.O H.O. cam will make more power than your cobra cam?
67stang
¯
Member # 549

quote:
Not bad. many factors (new TB, new MAF, fuel pressure, etc) can cause the rougher idle as well. For the most part, no one would think its not a stock cam right? Do you think a retarded 5.O H.O. cam will make more power than your cobra cam?

I don't know... Luke drove the car when i had the 70mm pro-products TB. That thing had problems because it has an infinitately adjustable TPS mount. Anyway, the car was idling low and shutting off, which obviosuly he noticed.
Since putting the stock TB back on it is much happer.

Stock HO cam, retarded... who knows. I'd rather have the lift on the cobra cam + 1.7's.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

So was running the retarded cobra cam your idea, or did you get someone's advice? What kind and level of porting is done to your cobra intake? Gotta love simple stuff that runs good.
AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Chirag-

I still have my first custom cam. If you'd want to give it a shot I'd be more than willing to lend it to you. No $$$ needed. I'd be interested in lending so you could do an article with it. See what you could get out of it in YOUR car. Let me know if you'd be interested.

--------------------

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

67stang
¯
Member # 549

Hey Aaron,
What are the specs on the cam (email me if you dont want to post here chirag@fordmuscle.com)
Shaun also emailed me with a custom cam idea... not sure if that the same cam, or if it's his own.
But ya, I may be interested. Thanks!

Sawson,
Retarding was my idea, probably got some inspiration from Shaun as well.

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

quote:
Originally posted by 67stang:
Hey Aaron,
What are the specs on the cam (email me if you dont want to post here chirag@fordmuscle.com)
Shaun also emailed me with a custom cam idea... not sure if that the same cam, or if it's his own.
But ya, I may be interested. Thanks!

The specs on the cam are 224/221 at .050, 274/272 at .006 .555/.528" lift 111 LSA 113 installed ICL (2 deg. retard). The cam drove and idled like stock with very minimal lope. I'm sure the dyno tune helped that quite a bit but it was a great street cam. Made 340 RWHP at 5800 RPM with a standard Performer intake. It's not the same cam Shaun mentioned to you. I have that one at my house as well. But yeah, if you're interested let me know. I'd like to see the results.

--------------------

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com