Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Tips needed for a rookie at the track

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tips needed for a rookie at the track
Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black88GT  Ford pictures for Black88GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, This will be the first time Ive been to the track in a few years. I need all the help I can get, What do you all recomend as far as launch and stuff?

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hrly01Stng  Ford pictures for Hrly01Stng    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea im in the same boat you are man... Any tips or better yet we should all meet at sac this saturday and have like a newbie track leason... or not... but yea.. Thanks

--------------------
HCI blower built shortblock 285ci

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well it depends on your tires and what your car puts out. Just really try not to let the tires spin a lot. Take them to the limit that they will still grip but not spin, baby the clutch. Just don't dump it and smash the gas. You'll get better and better as the day goes on.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black88GT  Ford pictures for Black88GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98slowhoe:
well it depends on your tires and what your car puts out. Just really try not to let the tires spin a lot. Take them to the limit that they will still grip but not spin, baby the clutch. Just don't dump it and smash the gas. You'll get better and better as the day goes on.

Well, I might be able to get some sticky tires, but if not, It will be on street tires. My car has around 350 at the wheels, give or take a little. [burnout]

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hrly01Stng  Ford pictures for Hrly01Stng    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have brand new BFG Drag radials.. I've heard their ten times better than the nitto drags.... and just about 480 rwhp.. I think...

--------------------

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hrly01Stng:
I have brand new BFG Drag radials.. I've heard their ten times better than the nitto drags.... and just about 480 rwhp.. I think...

Heh, you are going to have your hands full [Eek!] [Big Grin]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Impact 5.0  Ford pictures for Impact 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
CA fords or some of us should get some fords together and head up there one day/night, I know i want to drag my 90 and havent been on a drag strip in almost 4 years [Mad]
Posts: 2173 | From: Tracy, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  :
Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Yea. i know.. I really want that 500 mark.. but i need more fuel.... Some way i shall do it..i hope to maybe hit a 11 towards the end i dont feel like paying 35 bucks and getting thrown out for going to fast without a roll bar.. Should i launch at 3000 RPMS?

--------------------

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hrly01Stng:
Yea. i know.. I really want that 500 mark.. but i need more fuel.... Some way i shall do it..i hope to maybe hit a 11 towards the end i dont feel like paying 35 bucks and getting thrown out for going to fast without a roll bar.. Should i launch at 3000 RPMS?

On a DR you dont really "launch". Meaning you don't just dump the clutch and go. There is a certain amount of finess involved. I'm assuming your car has a blower on it. in which case I would recommend at least a 3K riding out of the clutch. You need to be in your boost to make power and you'll need that power to get out of the hole w/o bogging.

Air your tires down to 18 psi to start with and work on getting the cltuch out as quickly as possible w/o blowing the tires off. A little wheel spin is ok, much better than a bog. [patriot]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
black 88 gt is a rookie no more.

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
mike g
¯
Member # 2919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g  Ford pictures for mike g    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
114mph= [worship] [worship] [worship]

i didn't stay the whole night...did he ever dip into the 12s?

mike

--------------------
FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!!

Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:
black 88 gt is a rookie no more.

Thanks Jon [patriot]
quote:
Originally posted by mike g:
114mph= [worship] [worship] [worship]

i didn't stay the whole night...did he ever dip into the 12s?

mike

Mike, it was nice to meet you man. the best time ended up at 12.28 @ 118.53. What was you best?

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

1320MASTER
¯
Member # 773

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for 1320MASTER  Ford pictures for 1320MASTER  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Dave,you forgot to posts 60ft number with that ET.Just remember your car has alot more in it.Don't forget the other half of McCleskey rep the 1320master.And shade fix that exhaust leak you sounded like VW bug and what is with that toothbrush [Roll Eyes] is that what got you into the 11's or N20 out of the hole only [Big Grin] [burnout]

[ August 03, 2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: 1320MASTER ]

--------------------
EA Smog Tech/Smog Lic/ASE Master Tech
93 SSP Coupe 440ci sbf coming soon

Posts: 593 | From: Sacramento Calif | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mark learn how to spell my name McCleskey

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

the 60 ft was 1.91 [Big Grin] Thank you Mark [patriot] I wanna see the pics [worship] You guys left before the final run....Im glad you missed it [Wink]

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

1320MASTER
¯
Member # 773

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1320MASTER  Ford pictures for 1320MASTER  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I do know how to spell your name that was typeo on the site side [Confused]

--------------------
EA Smog Tech/Smog Lic/ASE Master Tech
93 SSP Coupe 440ci sbf coming soon

Posts: 593 | From: Sacramento Calif | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how did you do?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

mike g
¯
Member # 2919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g  Ford pictures for mike g    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow i see you really learned that car fast 1.9 60' time on street tires thats bad ass...

And as for the best et/mph of the night...all i can say is good freakin job. Going from 104mph your first run to 118mph...nice improvement =)

after my second 14.5 run i decided to call it a night, because i was so hungry(hadn't eaten anything all day)

mike

--------------------
FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com