Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Mass Air VS Speed density

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Mass Air VS Speed density
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well I set it up today and everything seems to work on both sides just fine. I will be bringing both systems to Test and Tune tomarrow night. I have very few bolts ons so its pretty much stock. I am going to just leave it in drive off the line for 2 or 3 passes with each system. Which is faster? We should have a solid anwser tomarrow night! See you guys there. Casey

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone have a digital camera that will be out at test and tune tomarrow?

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll have a digi there tonight Casey

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've always been under the impression that stock for stock, the speed density cars ran harder but that was mostly due to a better cam in '87-88 cars and one less intake restriction (the MAF), on an equally tuned stocker though, (same A/F ratio), I doubt you'd notice even a couple hundredths from your new-found intake restriction. But in otherwords I expect you to slow up ever so slightly, given equal air/fuel and timing and the rest of the tune.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
I've always been under the impression that stock for stock, the speed density cars ran harder but that was mostly due to a better cam in '87-88 cars and one less intake restriction (the MAF), on an equally tuned stocker though, (same A/F ratio), I doubt you'd notice even a couple hundredths from your new-found intake restriction. But in otherwords I expect you to slow up ever so slightly, given equal air/fuel and timing and the rest of the tune.

thats exactly what i was gonna say.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Exactly what I was going to say as well [Big Grin]
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I say that the MAF will be a couple of a tenths slower than the Speed Density... [Wink]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

After driving with both systems for two days I am going to go with this "guess" Mass air will be right there all the way but in the last 400 feet the SD will will by 1 mph, due to the lack of restriction... But who knows...Find out in a few hours! See you all there tonight!

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if sized properly the maf shouldn't be a restriction. neither is faster or slower.
Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

[worship] SPEED DENSITY!!! [worship]
3 tenths were gained on 6 runs back to back to back without the mass air.

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool. What was your best MPH with the MAF and with the SD setup?
What was your best of the night?

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

14.53 @ 96 Best of the night Speed Density (I shuffled it from second to 3rd.
The following were just sitting in drive
15.04 @ 92.0 Mass air best
14.69 @ 94.1 Speed Density best

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KCmustangboy:
[worship] SPEED DENSITY!!! [worship]
3 tenths were gained on 6 runs back to back to back without the mass air.

I TOLD YOU!!!.......I switched my 86 to MAF and it slowed my car down too....

Oh well, atleast you know which one is better with your current set up.... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Key word there being CURRENT, however I am swapping my AOD for my T5 today, so I am thinking I need to do the mass air swap anyways, I don't think the AOD computer will work well with a T5 computer, sense the T5 is mass air I guess I have to hook it all up!

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
now wait a second--- the MAF swap is a computer, harness, the MAF ,etc., you swapped back/forth completely between speed density and mass air several times between runs? side by side computers? or?

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm running an AOD computer with my T5 for a few years and 60,000+ miles just fine [patriot]
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
now wait a second--- the MAF swap is a computer, harness, the MAF ,etc., you swapped back/forth completely between speed density and mass air several times between runs? side by side computers? or?

Yes sir I sure did, computer, wiring and the whole intake tube, takes about 10 minutes to do IF SETUP to do it. think about it...side by side computers...wiring already ran just waiting to be pluged it to mass air, and then swapping intakes. How long does it take you to unplug the EEC and hook up another one and then swap intakes?

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
I'm running an AOD computer with my T5 for a few years and 60,000+ miles just fine [patriot]

I am not for sure but I believe the AOD computer starts pulling timing out in the higher RPMs.

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what was the a/f on the maf and sd runs compared to eachother, also what do the timing maps look like?
Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Originally posted by KCmustangboy:
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

I am not for sure but I believe the AOD computer starts pulling timing out in the higher RPMs.
Not true. Actually the AOD EEC adds a tad more part throttle advance so you may notice a bit better part throttle response with the AOD EEC. The AOD EEC is also a bit slower in bringing the RPM's down with the car out of gear, but you won't notice this unless you compare side by side. Use the AOD EEC [patriot]
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Thanks! I will try the AOD one then. at least until i add mass air

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com