Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Does this sound off to anyone?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Does this sound off to anyone?
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went to Sac last night for the first time since I did the heads, cam and intake, etc, and the best I could hit was a 13.4@106. I don't know. It feels to me like it should be running faster, seeing what all you guys with the same stuff are running. Compression leakage maybe? Here is a list of my parts. Can anyone tell me if those times are kosher?

Here is the timeslip first.

Dial In: 13.40
Reaction: .638
T1: 2.177 (ASS)
T2: 5.847
T3: 0.000
T3 MPH: (Blank)
T4: 11.363

ET: 13.4
MPH: 106.05

My mph seems to be decent, but I went with an LS1 who was trapping at the same speed but his ETs were 13.1s and 13.2s.

Here is my list of modifications:

Trickflow Twisted Wedge Heads
Trickflow Street Heat Intake
Trickflow Stage 1 cam
Trickflow 1.6 ratio roller rockers
BBK 70mm throttle body and EGR
BBK Equal length shorties
BBK 3" O/R x-pipe
30 Series Flows

The car is still speed density, so that might be an issue. Also, this was on street tires. 245/50/16 Goodyear HP Plus (340 Tread wear). Is that why my 60' times are so bad? I'm frustrated and confused, so sorry if this doesn't make any sense. Thanks for any opinions!

-Nick

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what does it weigh? and what did it run before the heads?

as a comparison, I only picked up 9 mph (so far) by doing heads/cam/intake to a car that already had the standard bolt-ons and an explorer intake. (but an otherwise stock HO 302 longblock)

[ March 27, 2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Mike
¯
Member # 59

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike  Ford pictures for Mike    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by The Nick:

My mph seems to be decent, but I went with an LS1 who was trapping at the same speed but his ETs were 13.1s and 13.2s.

Trickflow Stage 1 cam
BBK 3" O/R x-pipe
30 Series Flows

Dont forget that fool in the LS1 that was trappin those speeds running 14.2's all night. [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Maybe its the 4.10's...the 60 foot isnt that bad,and you said traction was pretty cool...were going back up in 2 weeks if you wanna roll up again. [burnout]

--------------------
1998 Mystic Teal Z28 M6

Posts: 411 | From: Fremont,CA US | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Mike
¯
Member # 59

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike  Ford pictures for Mike    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by The Nick:

Trickflow Stage 1 cam
BBK 3" O/R x-pipe
30 Series Flows

Dont forget that fool in the LS1 that was trappin those speeds running 14.2's all night. [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Maybe its the 4.10's...the 60 foot isnt that bad,and you said traction was pretty cool...were going back up in 2 weeks if you wanna roll up again. [burnout]

--------------------
1998 Mystic Teal Z28 M6

Posts: 411 | From: Fremont,CA US | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4 words for you, Mass air, long Tubes,

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
what does it weigh? and what did it run before the heads?

as a comparison, I only picked up 9 mph (so far) by doing heads/cam/intake to a car that already had the standard bolt-ons and an explorer intake. (but an otherwise stock HO 302 longblock)

With me, it weighs around 3300lbs I'd guess. I weighed it at one of those scales for big rigs, and thats what it came in as. I don't know how accurate those things are with such minimal weight, since they are supposed to measure up to like 10 tons.

The last time I went to the track, I had the 4.10s and the exhaust and I was trapping at 96mph and running a 14.4. That was at Sears Pt though. Maybe I just need stickier tires...

--------------------

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
going from 96 to 106 sounds about right to me for a H/C/I install that went well. I'm sure there's more in it though.

--------------------

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sticky tires a mid 1.7x 60ft and your 106 mph is good for high 12s.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

I think I need to work with the fuel pressure too. It seems to be running rich even with the adj f/p regulator. I set it to factory setting. Maybe it needs to go down a little. What do you have yours at?

--------------------

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

what size injectors do you have?

I run 30# injectors and am at about 37 PSI vac-off, though like you I'm not certain where best power is at.

--------------------

jayl
¯
Member # 185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jayl  Ford pictures for jayl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just a quick question, think 30#s are enough for 350 rwhp n/a ?

--------------------
Facebook.com/TeamTemporary
8.5's TTFBitch!

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jayl:
just a quick question, think 30#s are enough for 350 rwhp n/a ?

Plenty.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
jayl
¯
Member # 185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jayl  Ford pictures for jayl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thank you sir

--------------------
Facebook.com/TeamTemporary
8.5's TTFBitch!

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

24lbs injectors for me. The factory setting is anywhere between 35 and 45 psi. I have it set at around 40 at idle and the same at throttle.

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
10 MPH sounds good from your mods. Chalk the ET up to TIRES and DRIVING SKILLS. Practice, practice, practice....

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought you HAD to go MASS AIR when you did something as drastic as heads/cam????

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71
Old time = 12.33@110mph 1.85 60' New combo in progress.

Posts: 1292 | From: Sacramento, CA. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
87mustang
¯
Member # 2496

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87mustang  Ford pictures for 87mustang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any gears?

--------------------
BEAT YA

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

I think F8L is probably right, I bet we all saw '88' GT and assumed mass air.

I bet a lot of HP is hiding in a mass-air conversion.

--------------------

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah and you are making a lot of power to be running street tires and 4.10's in the rear. Your 60ft will drop once you get some stickies in the back. Also what was your reaction time? That goes under the practice category. Also what do you have your timing at? I know your MPH isn't the issue right now but you can probably get 1-2 more MPH out of it if you only have it at 10. Don't worry, times will fall as you get more runs under your belt. Sounds like a sweet set up to me. [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Sorry for the late replies guys. I've been moving and my PC is still in a box. Yeah.... it's not an original Ca car, so it's still speed density. I'm actually not sure what the timing is at. Timing gun time I guess. My buddy did the heads, cam and intake for me, and before the car went in the shop, it was at 13 or 15 degrees, but I'm not sure if he set it back to that or not. Reaction time is really sad.... it was all over the place. The best was .560 and the worst was 1.209 or something like that.

And Shade-tree, its not very pertinent, but its an LX HB, not a GT. [Smile]

I've been working on the mass air, but I still need to pay off the parts that I've got right now. On the same note, for a junkyard mass air setup, I've been told that all I need is the sensor and tubing, which I'd probably buy new from C&L, the wiring harness and the computer. Is that correct?

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
106mph is good...I think there's nothing wrong with the car...You might be able to find a couple more mph with some timming and other bolt ons-(do you have: electric fan or pullies yet?)..

The key to your lower ET is in your 60ft's...Sorry, but 2.1 sucks...My car has 3.55's, I'm sure that 4.10's are really hard to launch with!!...What rpm do you leave the line at?..With my 3.55 I leave the line a little above idle (1,200rpm) and manage 1.9 on regular 245-50-16 street BFG comp TA's...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Yeah.... I know 2.1s suck. haha I usually run the motor at about 1800 and then slip the clutch a little. Get a little wheels spin, pump the throttle and it usually hooks. I've got pullies, but the crank driven fan is still in there.

The tires I was on were 245/50/16ZRs. Goodyear Eagle HP Plus or something along those lines. They are not soft tires. I'm gonna try and find some 10 holes and slicks in the near future. I've got no money right now though.

Thanks again for the info and advice guys!

--------------------

Fast472Mach1
¯
Member # 2559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast472Mach1  Ford pictures for Fast472Mach1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shade tree was right about asking which model you have since there is like a 300 lb difference between the gt and the lx

--------------------
11.7@116 1.7 60ft. N/A
11.4@124 1.9 60ft. 100NX

Posts: 639 | From: Laguna West | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Psycho Dave
¯
Member # 739

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Psycho Dave  Ford pictures for Psycho Dave  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn, all this talk makes me wish I still had my 92 coupe.. [Mad] sold the ls1 and the coupe now I get to pretend I have hp in a mazda pickup...I hate women and the things they will do to your mind....oh well...got it all worked out now so Ill be having some money in my pocket again...time to get the ball rollin [Big Grin] sorry for my little rant...im just without a car and jealous [worship]

Dave

Posts: 60 | From: Marysvile, Ca. | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com