Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Close to 12's, what to do? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Close to 12's, what to do?
Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fd3s.  Ford pictures for Fd3s.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey everyone...

Over the last 3 weeks I have broken out of my time. Kind of exciting. I want to get 12's on saturday. based on my timeslip with NO additional mods, what do I need to do for 12's?

Keep in mind that I ran this in 89 degree weather. My tires are new Nittos 555R's I ran the 2nd time yesterday. I did not do a burn out, I just dry launched it to get the stones off by prestaging. I'm assuming I Need to improve my 60'. So my question is, what do I need to do? What 60' do you estimate I need AND what 60' is reasonable for the tires I have?

R/T .577
60' 2.031
330 5.621
1/8 8.559 @ 84.71
1000 11.046
1/4 13.165 @ 106.59

Thanks!

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you NEED to do a nice long burnout for those tires to work right! that should get you your 12's

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Turn up the boost and add some race fuel to get rid of the detonation and heat the tires up and 12s

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fd3s.  Ford pictures for Fd3s.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RiddlerGT:
Turn up the boost and add some race fuel to get rid of the detonation and heat the tires up and 12s

I forgot to mention I ran 100 octain. I ran .84 bar (12.3 psi) I don't want to push beyond that till I upgrade my injectors. I'm more hoping that I can hit a 60 that can put me in high 12's.

in a month or so i'm getting a midpipe and new injectors thats good for low 12's.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you are running a RWD car with probably near 300rwhp on drag radials, and are pulling 2.0 60's in a light car.

figure out how to launch. that includes staging, burnout, etc. all. 106 mph could take you clear to mid 12's but I suspect you have non-drag gears out back. That being the case, your 60' may only have a tenth and a half improvement possible unless John Force can stuff his 260 odd pounds into an rx7 and bang your gears for a pass or two. [burnout]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was at the track last night with my cousin Aaron (soslo) and I watched you run your car in the first round of eliminations.
Here's what you need to do to get into the 12's
LEARN HOW TO SHIFT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jesus christ, I have seen old ladies shift faster than you do.
You are costing yourself AT LEAST 3 tenths in your shifting.
Watching your car, the front end would completely settle between shifts.
Put your right foot on the floor, and leave it there until you cross the finish line.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but life sucks

Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

quote:
Originally posted by TheBrain:
I was at the track last night with my cousin Aaron (soslo) and I watched you run your car in the first round of eliminations.
Put your right foot on the floor, and leave it there until you cross the finish line.

Brian

Shade..

I have the stock 4.10 gears.

Brain:

thanks for that colorful analysis. While I have been working on my shifting and I agree I can improve, I shifted damn hard from 3rd to 4th. and yes my foot was floored passed the finish line. I was at 6000 rpm in 4th when I passed. I need to work on 1st to 2nd and more importantly from 2nd to 3rd.

Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

Thank you all for your responses.

Brain...

I will take your advice and shift even harder. I'm sure you are right.

David

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HungryHippo:
you NEED to do a nice long burnout for those tires to work right! that should get you your 12's

DR's DO NOT need a long burnout. Pull around the water box, back near the water and do a 1-2 second burnout. You do not need a big burnout like the guys with big slicks, you'll only be wasting tread.

Some other ideas:
1. inflate your front tires 10psi over the max as this will reduce rolling resistance. DONT FORGET TO DEFLATE back to proper pressure after the track!
2. Ice the intake. Do not have your car on unless you have to. Excess heat in the intake is bad, it kills power. You could even roll your car through the staging lanes.
3. Make sure you have everything out of the car you don't need. Get the weight down! Gas is 6lb per gallon, try to have about a 1/4 tank when you get to the track.

Good luck! [patriot]

Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2000BlackGT/Chuck is wrong and will be editing his post later tonight. [Wink] Heating up your DR's is a GOOD idea and will help your 60's

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Calightning
¯
Member # 853

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calightning  Ford pictures for Calightning    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm with Jeff. I have Nitto 555R on my Lightning. Burn the live'n hell out of them...they love heat.

99L

--------------------
Steve 99L Black 03L Grey
Trucks
Dyno Chart

Posts: 27 | From: Castro Valley | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Brian

LMAO, but come on Brian. That is just a little too harsh....lol

I'm also going to have to disagree with 2000BlackGT. I have had my best results with Nitto DR's after LONG burnouts [burnout]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry guys, i guess i shouldnt read Bob Cosby's tricks anymore. He doesn't really know what he's doing anyway.

I'm going to go back to the General Talk and post pics of huge rims on quads and shit.

Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Chuck, i think Bob was talking about regular street radials, not DRAG radials such as nittos.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
nickn
¯
Member # 193

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nickn  Ford pictures for nickn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Displacement_Replacement:
quote:

Brian

Shade..

Brain:

thanks for that colorful analysis. While I have been working on my shifting and I agree I can improve, I shifted damn hard from 3rd to 4th. and yes my foot was floored passed the finish line. I was at 6000 rpm in 4th when I passed. I need to work on 1st to 2nd and more importantly from 2nd to 3rd.

dude, he means keep your right foot down between shifts, AKA speed shift if you are quick enough to use the clutch, and power shift if you dont use the clutch, lol PS powershifting, very bad. you live in san leandro? if you want I can give you some pointers..... if you are shifting like he says your are, you are more than likely losing a little boost in between shifts?
Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

quote:
Originally posted by nickn:
quote:
quote:

Brian

Shade..

Brain:

dude, he means keep your right foot down between shifts, AKA speed shift if you are quick enough to use the clutch, and power shift if you dont use the clutch, lol PS powershifting, very bad. you live in san leandro? if you want I can give you some pointers..... if you are shifting like he says your are, you are more than likely losing a little boost in between shifts?
I will always lose boost inbetween shifts because I have twin turbos. The first turbo is fully spooled about 3000, then it sends exhaust to the secondary turbo, at 4500 both turbos are on. So usually when I shift my boost will drop a bit.

I will not pretend to know everything, thats why I asked you guys this question. I am not sure about my shifting. I can say that I run the car to 8200 then push the clutch in shift it very fast and then slam on the gas. I think what he saw was my 2nd to 3rd shift. Its easy to miss 3rd gear so i sometimes am not as agressive in 3rd gear. I know for a fact I shifted from 3rd to 4th on that run like there was no tomorrow and slammed the gas as fast as I could.

I am interested to see what I run in 60 or 70 degree weather. it was 89 degrees when I made that run. Maybe a 1.95 60' or better and a better shift from 2nd to 3rd and .85 bar instead of .84 will push me to high 12's. I'll be in sac tomorrow, so I will see.

david

Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

actually the boost will drop to zero as soon as I let off the gas to shift. LOL

David

nickn
¯
Member # 193

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nickn  Ford pictures for nickn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nickn:
quote:
quote:

Brian

Shade..

Brain:

I will always lose boost inbetween shifts because I have twin turbos. The first turbo is fully spooled about 3000, then it sends exhaust to the secondary turbo, at 4500 both turbos are on. So usually when I shift my boost will drop a bit.

I will not pretend to know everything, thats why I asked you guys this question. I am not sure about my shifting. I can say that I run the car to 8200 then push the clutch in shift it very fast and then slam on the gas. I think what he saw was my 2nd to 3rd shift. Its easy to miss 3rd gear so i sometimes am not as agressive in 3rd gear. I know for a fact I shifted from 3rd to 4th on that run like there was no tomorrow and slammed the gas as fast as I could.

I am interested to see what I run in 60 or 70 degree weather. it was 89 degrees when I made that run. Maybe a 1.95 60' or better and a better shift from 2nd to 3rd and .85 bar instead of .84 will push me to high 12's. I'll be in sac tomorrow, so I will see.

david

you shouldn't be lifting off the gas much, if at all, hehe

sequential turbos?

Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

sequential, yup.

Hmmmm....how can I shift while still on the gas? Never tried it but it seems like it would not work that well.

I guess I will see u at sac tomorrow?

DAvid

jayl
¯
Member # 185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jayl  Ford pictures for jayl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just keep your foot on the floor........and stab the clutch as your pulling the shifter to the next gear...........the funnest thing about a manual is the powershift!!

--------------------
Facebook.com/TeamTemporary
8.5's TTFBitch!

Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

Thanks alot, I am not one for expermenting in the middle of a race, so I will test this out in a hour and 1/2 when I leave work today.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
powershifting 3-4 is almost irrelevant as far as your ET goes. You might consider sparing parts and powershift 1-2 as it is critical, baby 2-3 as it is easy to miss (or get a better shifter), and 3-4, really, who cares. You're probably already going 100 at that point and even letting off completely won't matter all that much that close to the finish line.
Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

now i'm more confused than ever, LOL. I'm just gonna get a mid pipe, fuel pump, larger injectors. Any idiot should be able to take my car to low 12's with those mods. This powershifting thing seems as hard as trying to do a burn out (which I gave up).

David

JOSH
¯
Member # 979

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOSH  Ford pictures for JOSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think all you need to do is make it in to the later rounds(learn how to use your brakes lol)you had the other car by alot. It cools down alot after 8:00 you should be faster then.

Mabe you shoud race with the imports they have terrible R/T. And yes heat the shit out of the nittos ,good luck.

--------------------
65 fastback mustang
410w 11:1 c-4 592fwhp 560fwtq

soslo
¯
Member # 1748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for soslo  Ford pictures for soslo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
David,

Let me try to break powershifting down for you.

Push the gas pedal down, and when you shift (every time) just do what you normally do EXCEPT leave the gas pedal down still.

Thats it...you won't lose boost and you'll get a nice little pull when you let the clutch back out.

--------------------
02 Trans Am :: M6 :: Black/Black
12.99 @ 109.6, 2.06 60' w/ Clear Lid, Stock 16" tires, cutout

312 RWHP / 330 RWTQ SAE (with lid)
329 RWHP / 343 RWTQ SAE (with lid and cutout)
337 RWHP / 348 RWTQ SAE (with lid and cutout and tuning)

BMR STB&SFC, Pro 5.0, QTEC, LS1Edit, 4.10s
outdated details @ http://freewebs.com/soslo

Posts: 36 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com