Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » My First Timeslips

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: My First Timeslips
88 5.0
¯
Member # 1030

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for 88 5.0  Ford pictures for 88 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take a look at these and tell me what you think. My mods are listed below. I have ET Streets, so my 1.90 60' is not very good. Doesn't my MPH seems very low? I was expecting 101-104??? Keep in mind, this was my first time at a drag strip. Thanks

First Run

Launched at 3500rpms, 16 psi

R/T. 1.095
60'. 2.142
330. 5.983
1/8. 9.184
MPH. 77.42
1000 11.923
1/4 14.247
MPH 97.05

Second Run

Launched at 4000rpms, 13psi

R/T. 1.040
60'. 1.979
330. 5.753
1/8. 8.929
MPH. 77.94
1000 11.653
1/4 13.964
MPH 97.59

1988 Mustang 5.0
96,000 miles
Mass Air

TFS Street Heat Intake
TFS 3/8 Spacer
Ported and Polished C80E Heads(53.5cc)Old 68 Stang
FMS E303 Cam
FMS 24lb Injectors
Walbro 255ltr
BBK AFPR
C&L 76mm
Accufab 70mm TB
Jet Chip
FMS 3.73
FMS Aluminum Driveshaft
MAC Equal Length Headers
Off-Road H-Pipe
2 Chamber Flows
Southside Lift Bars
BBK Subframe Connectors
B&M Ripper Shifter
ET Streets 26x10.5x16

258rwhp 5400rpms
288ft lbs
14 degrees
36psi

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
room for improvement, mph does seem a little low too, tuning? running rich?

my first time out on ET streets I barely broke under 2.0 60's as well

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not too bad for your first time drag racing. So you made 260 rwhp on the dyno? Your 101 to 104 MPH expectation is about right then. If you made peak RWHP at 5400, you should be shifting at 5600 to 5900ish depending on how steeply power drops off after 5400 RPM. What RPM did you shift at? The thing is your 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile ET and MPH "match" which means you're "down" on power durring the whole run.
88 5.0
¯
Member # 1030

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 88 5.0  Ford pictures for 88 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shade-tree

I had my car dyno-tuned the night before I went to the track. My car runs lean. The dyno guy played with fuel pressure and timing for about 1 hour. Finally we got an average air/fuel of 13.5. That was with 14 degrees timing and 36 psi fuel pressure. If we tried to run more pressure, the car wouldn't get much better, it would just get a
poor idle. I really can't understand what the problem is? I have a Walbro 255ltr pump, 24lb injectors, and a AFPR/w gauge. Afterwards, I was paying him, and I told him that it had a Jetchip, and he immediately said that could be causing the lean condition. What do you think? Should I yank the chip?

st5150

I was shifting at 5600-5800 rpms. I wasn't "power shifting," but I was speed shifting pretty quickly. Next time, I will try power shifting the 3-4 gear shift. Maybe I will let it rev a little higher to. What do you think?

Thanks guys!

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I noticed you're from "ID", what track did you race at? What altitude?

Power shifting really won't help your MPH... and it for sure won't find the 5 MPH you're missing.

If you tuned it on the dyno with the chip, then leave the chip in there unless you want to retune.

88 5.0
¯
Member # 1030

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88 5.0  Ford pictures for 88 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I raced at Firebird Raceway, Boise ID. Im not real sure what the elevation is. But I heard that it is about 4 tenths slower than at sea-level. About the chip, I really don't want to keep dumping money into my car if the $35.00 chip is making my car run bad.
Thanks

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If i were you i would get a custom burned chip exactly for your car's modifcations, try looking at Superchips or Diablo sport.

Also if i were you i would buy a Pro 5.0 shifter, it would knock of some more time on your 1/4 plus there so much better to shift.

--------------------
Support our troops!

88 5.0
¯
Member # 1030

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88 5.0  Ford pictures for 88 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I already have the B&M Ripper. Is the Pro 5.0 noticeably better?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Pro5.0 is way better than the b&m in my opinion, I have owned both and have found it a lot easier to find the gears with the Pro5.0. I think you should try both(if you got a budy w/one)and see which feels more comfortable.....Unless it was over 90 degrees outside you should easily have 102mph....try icing your intake...Personally I would ditch the chip.

[ April 03, 2002: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
88 5.0
¯
Member # 1030

My buddy is using the Pro 5.0, I will give it a try. It was about 60 degrees outside, and I pushed my car through the staging lines just so I could keep it as cool as possible. Trust me, heat was not a factor. I think I am going to get rid of the Jet Chip. It just plugs into my stock computer right? So, I should just be able to pull the Jet chip and just run my car with the stock computer?
Thanks

RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sic91sleeper:
If i were you i would get a custom burned chip exactly for your car's modifcations, try looking at Superchips or Diablo sport.

Please DONT EVER BUY a diablo sport chip, there has been countless lightnings blow up dude to improper a/f ratio from this off the shelf chip

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Originally posted by sic91sleeper:

No one around here does custom superchips or diablo ones. With that said, this simple combo has already been tuned with the existing electronics. Air fuel ratio sounds solid. Timing has been optimized. It makes the RWHP it "should" for the setup. I would fish in other lakes first, the electronics seem solid.

Speaking of location, 88 5.0- where are you from? Altitude makes a big differece on ET/MPH. You could be chasing a ghost.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ID is the postal code for Idaho.

no, I've never mailed anyone in Idaho

88 5.0
¯
Member # 1030

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 88 5.0  Ford pictures for 88 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im not sure what the exact altitude is, but I have heard that I would gain about 4 tenths if I raced in Sacramento. If you take 4 tenths off of my 13.94 and throw in a better 60'foot, I would be running low 13's. Which is about right for my combo. I will get in some more practice at the track, and go from their.

Thanks guys

StreetStang37
¯
Member # 935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreetStang37  Ford pictures for StreetStang37    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im not sure but this is a question I'd like to know. If you let your car cool down enough, would it run worse since it's not up to operating temp?

--------------------
1993 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Trick Flow Heads, Street Heat intake, 3/8in spacer, E303, TFS 1.7rr & 6.75 pushrods, Holley 190lph fuel pump, 24# injectors & sample tube, SVO timing chain, Aeromotive AFPR, 180* t-stat, 2 5/8 Auto Meter mech fuel pressure gauge, K&N, March Ram Air & Pullies, Black Magic Electric Fan, 73mm C&L MAF, Edelbrock 65mm TB & EGR, 1 5/8in Equal Length Super Competition Hooker Headers, 2 1/2in H-Pipe w/hi-flow cats & Flowmaster 2 1/2in Cat-Back Exhaust, FlowTech Cut-Outs, Nitto DR's, 3.73 gears, FMS Aluminum DriveShaft, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Pro-Shift Lite, 9mm FMS Plug Wires, PowerSlot rotors, PowerMaster 140amp Alt., LX lights, Cobra R hood w/SVO scoop, Saleen spoiler, Cobra Bumper, MaCh1 paint scheme, 3in chrome tips

Posts: 88 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com