Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Oh Yeahhh! Intake in and runs awesome--->

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Oh Yeahhh! Intake in and runs awesome--->
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since my heads have been delayed I went ahead and dropped in my ported Cobra intake + 65mm TB last Saturday and FINALLY got a chance today to really drive it hard on dry pavement. Kicks ass! WOT in 1st or 2nd just breaks the tires free the moment the revs go past 3k. I hope I get an honest 2mph at the track. The lower was ported to a 1262 intake gasket and is a bit bigger than the ports in the heads but it doesn't feel like it is hurting power. The upper was cut and had the plenum enlarged, runners smoothed and bosses added for auxillary injectors. The runner length was left stock. I just plugged the holes w/ freeze plugs. Pics here-

Ported Cobra intake pics...

Might try it out Wed. night, other wise I will have to wait for a couple of weeks before getting to the track. Any predictions?

JL
[dance] [dance] [dance] [dance]

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1262 lower? my guess is mphbefore ~= mphafter

/I have been wrong before! [worship]

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Congradulations Jim! You just couldn't wait could you . I don't doubt that you will see at least a 2 mph gain. When I installed my cobra intake, (which is stock), I gained 3.5 mph. As for predictions, hum.... I think you should be darn close to 13.0, JMO. Just to forwarn you, if you come out on wed. I would deffinately not be expencting good traction. The last few weeks track prep as been horrible! None the less I hope to see ya out there. Take it easy Jim, Drew

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
1262 lower? my guess is mphbefore ~= mphafter

/I have been wrong before! [worship]

my guess is mphbefore ~= mphafter + 0.33 [patriot]

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drew-
I would have to run on my leaky American Racers and not the ET Drags to keep the track folk happy. BUT- I haven't done any better on the slicks, anyhow. Besides- since I have been ignoring my RT's to get that perfect launch I doubt I will go any rounds. Just want to see what it wil do. I am pretty sure I will see mph go up- it feels a godd bit stronger to the ol' assmeter.

ps- added two new pics w/ strut brace back in.. ( whoopti!)

JL

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright, Sawson- Mr. Wiseass...
I beleive it will go faster due to the horrible flow capabilities of the stock lower- it can hardly hit 150cfm. While there is a mismatch at the port interface I bet the valve will still see more flow than with the stock intake. I am just not getting the full benefit with the mismatch. I am also running the 1.7 rockers for that tiny bit more valve opening. The new heads line up perfectly w/ the new intake- should be some seriuos power once they are on. Track testing will tell...

JL

[patriot]

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
which flows more? a 2" hose going into a 2" hose, or a 2.5" hose, with a 2.1" 'base' going into a 2" hose?

which has more velocity?

if the hose in question feeds an internal combustion engine... which has more area under the HP curve? [patriot]

I am going to guess you gain 1mph

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

I would consider ports 1 and 5 to be less than the 2" diameter of the matching intake "hose". If #8 hits the 150cfm mark, then 1 and 5 just scratch 120cfm. Granted I have lost some velocity but at WOT in the rpm range used during a run down the track I bet the cylinders are being filled more than rather than equal with the stock intake.

JL

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

90GT
¯
Member # 3

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 90GT  Ford pictures for 90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Jim you can run lane 9 with the slicks, and probably run all night in lane 3 or 4 and nobody will ever know the difference. From my experience, and also a few friends, the addition of a stock cobra or gt-40 intake showed a 1.5 to 2 mph improvement. Hopefully you can see the same.
UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks nice jim!!!!! To bad I have to fix mine before I run again!!!

--------------------
The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
AND YES THE RAMS FAN

Posts: 1023 | From: ODENTON MD | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hemi Ted  Ford pictures for Hemi Ted    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice set-up Jim.
Where'd you have it done??
What was the co$t??
E-mail me.
Ted [worship]

Posts: 2601 | From: Tomball, TX | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ted-
I bought it used- The work was originally done by Anderson Ford Motorsport. NO idea how much the work cost. This intake saw 9's w/ a D1R Procharger pushing some big boost...

JL

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anderson sucks! [worship]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

JL

[ March 24, 2002: Message edited by: FasterDamnit ]

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Uhhh my ported cobra helped ET none.

Nothing like the TFS intake helped.

You can look at the lower and see that.

9s using a cobra lower wow.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
Alright, Sawson- Mr. Wiseass...
I beleive it will go faster due to the horrible flow capabilities of the stock lower- it can hardly hit 150cfm. While there is a mismatch at the port interface I bet the valve will still see more flow than with the stock intake. I am just not getting the full benefit with the mismatch. I am also running the 1.7 rockers for that tiny bit more valve opening. The new heads line up perfectly w/ the new intake- should be some seriuos power once they are on. Track testing will tell...

JL

[patriot]

True, track testing will tell. I'll be impressed with consistant 102 mph with it, but I think the average 100.5 to 101.5 mph traps will still be there. So when are you taking her to the track? [patriot]

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Maybe Wed. night. Weather looks good..

JL

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
Maybe Wed. night. Weather looks good..

JL

Any news?

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

[ May 06, 2002, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: FasterDamnit ]

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com