Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Results using slicks during test and tune (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Results using slicks during test and tune
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, here it goes

The first run was a 12.47 @ 109+ w/1.74 60ft launched at 4000rpm
2nd run was a 12.37 @ 109+ w/1.77 60ft launched @ 5000rpm
3rd run was aborted so it didn't count (mis adjusted my clutch and backed out of the lanes
Real 3rd run was after changing to a 70mm TB and was a 12.44 @ 109+ w/1.71 60ft and a .507 reaction launched at 5500 rpm
4th run was launched bouncing off the rev limiter (6600) and lasted 6" (that's about how far the car moved)
Sheared off the left rear axle, wasted the carrier, and the splines of the axle are stuck in the spider gear
My clutch was slipping all night w/slicks so the times weren't as good as they could have been
The time slips are in the car (which is down at the shop) so I am not sure of the exact numbers

If I fix the rearend and clutch to withstand the slicks, then the tranny will break. Since it is a neverending process, I am seriously considering retiring the car from track duty.

We'll see

Brian

Edited to add what happened to the rear end, forgot that part of the story

[ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hemi Ted  Ford pictures for Hemi Ted    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Brian that really sucks ass!
how'd you get home??
You can do a pass in my ride on the 20th bro!!!!! But, remember.... its slower! LOL!
That sux!
Hope to have my Subs in, Roll bar, and Slicks by then...... Peace.

[ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: 93ragLX ]

--------------------
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition
"Thats Mr. Great Pumpkin to you!"

Posts: 2601 | From: Tomball, TX | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93ragLX:

how'd you get home??

AAA "plus" membership
Free 100 mile towing AKA a racers best friend

Thanks for the offer to drive your car, we'll see

Brian

Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hemi Ted  Ford pictures for Hemi Ted    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that is nice!!!
thats right i forgot about AAA!!! hahaha!
i need to sign up for that shit!

--------------------
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was wondering what your thought process was after the carnage. Axles, carrier, TKO, serious clutch, and you could probably race it w/out breaking (probably)- just takes a bunch of money...

Jim L.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
man brian that sucks...just feel lucky that it happened at the line and not 1000' down track where your car would then run its self in to the wall....im sticken to drag radials for sure....
Posts: 1663 | From: bay area/SAC cali. | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I see a couple of options, like what Jim said, upgrade some parts... or...

a)return to drag radials
b)keep launches to 5000 rpm max, and work on your clutch

btw, that sucks. If you need a spare axle, I have one of each.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TheBrain:
I am seriously considering retiring the car from track duty.

Don't wuss out! Get a 31 spline carrier from a truck/suv or just stick more of the stock stuff in there and launch like a normal person on slicks! 6600 RPM? Thats nuts! I'm sure the weight of your car doesn't help things either.

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

launch like a normal person on slicks! 6600 RPM? Thats nuts

To be honest with you, I just wanted to see if the track would hold it. Evidently, it did

NO GUTS, NO GLORY !!!!!

Besides, You have to remember that my buddy Mike up in Redding and I, own a 1980 coupe that is getting a Trickflow R headed, 408 w/300 shot of the giggle gas

So in about a year or so, I will be co-driver of a all-out drag Mustang

I don't need 2 drag cars

Brian

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

So in about a year or so, I will be co-driver of a all-out drag Mustang

So you're going to cheer from the side lines for a year? Doubt it

Just stick some stock stuff back in and come out on the 20th with some humane 5K RPM dumps!

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
st5150: get back to us after you blow up your daily driver, then comment!
Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Originally posted by stocker:

Will do

So the civic is for sale eh?

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

quote:
Originally posted by stocker:

ROFLMAO !!!!!!

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Let the betting start!

What kind of spread are you giving me here?

You guys know chances are slim of a stock 5.O breaking right?

Give me a 1.77 60 ft with a 5K dump and I'll be happy.

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Sawson,
The problem with my thinking last night was that I pulled off 4 1.7x 60fts with my Nittos
So I just had to try to get a 1.6x on slicks

RPM, if some is good, more is better

Brian

Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:

RPM, if some is good, more is better

Brian

No problem with your thinking. I got a picture of your tach from last night right here:

[ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: st5150 ]

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The before pic-

I am sorry I didn't get the "after"...

And the F/M cars-

JL

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
The before pic-

The after pic-

after the tri-cycle conversion.

J/K!!

-Sawson

[ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: st5150 ]

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

After pictures
Nevermind
My FTP is a fucking POS

[ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Email them to me and I can put them on photopoint- maybe write up your exploits on Fordmuscle.

JIm L.
65mustanggt@email.msn.com
ps- include your cell #!

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

love the after photo!!!!
too funny!

that sucks brian! hurry up and get that shit ready for the 20th.
If 6,500 broke it.... well, try 6,000!!!!
don't give up!
never give up, and hey Gabe's right, at least you didnt do it at the far end........
can you say ugly??
i knew you could!

--------------------
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

ON THE ROAD AGAIN !!!!!
I talked to a buddy of mine that just so happened to have an 8.8 sitting in his backyard. I took the rear end down to my shop, took the axles and carrier out, rebuilt the trac-lok using the best of the fictions out of both rear ends, put my 3.73 ring gear on and put it all together.
4 hours later, I am on the road again !!!! WOOHOO
Now I have the other housing to built up at my leisure, and I am not stuck in the house

Jim, I will take a few more pictures of the carnage and send them to you

Brian

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

I figured out what was wrong with my host site. I used to have to type "www.blah.blah/blah....."
I just figured out that I need to type "ftp.blah.blah/blah....

So here are the pictures

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

After using a press to get it out, this is the other end

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com