Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » need advice on collision payout

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: need advice on collision payout
Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.10psi  Ford pictures for Mr.10psi  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Got in a collison, need some advice.
Allright guys I got In a collision and it wasn’t my fault, and the repairs are gonna be worth more than the cars worth, how do I get the other persons insurance to write me a check for the repairs instead of them going straight to the shop and paying them to fix it when I would rather keep the money since the repair money is more than what the cars worth. Also doing this becuz I can do the repairs myself and would rather pocket the money. His insurance is already agreeing to fix the car becuz they acknowledged it and declared it was his fault. Do I have to make sure whatever shop I get a quote from is not tied in with the insurance company as far as doing work for them to avoid not getting the repair money.

--------------------
02 white saleen(sold) 347 stroker in the works

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you have the choice of having them pay you or the shop. So just tell them you want the check written out directly to you.

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.10psi  Ford pictures for Mr.10psi  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my buddy tried to get the money in his similar scenario but they just ended up paying the shop the bill so he didnt get anything?

--------------------

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does the car have a lien holder on the title? If so then you going to have a shop fix it an the shop will get the funds from the insurance company. If you own free and clear they will give you the check for repairs.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought if it would cost more to fix than to replace, that the insurance would just total it out and cut you a check to replace the car, not the total to repair.
Posts: 1746 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
Does the car have a lien holder on the title? If so then you going to have a shop fix it an the shop will get the funds from the insurance company. If you own free and clear they will give you the check for repairs.

i own my car free and clear and so does the guys that hit me.

--------------------

Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

quote:
Originally posted by RRRCobraSC281:
I thought if it would cost more to fix than to replace, that the insurance would just total it out and cut you a check to replace the car, not the total to repair.

i have heard of this but i am not going to take their cash value of my car considering they would only give me 1000-1300 for the car when the repairs are easily worth 2500-3500 and if i take their offer i wont be able to get a reliable car for 1000-1300. I mean honestely, what if anyone in the same scenario actually wants to keep their car, how can they not understand and realize that, no mean no and you should still get paid regardless? Since its your car you should have the right to decline if you want to keep the car and still either get payed for the repairs or get cashed out? Does anyone know my options. His insurance is Geico. I thinking bout going to a moderate to highly priced body shop to get estimates so I can decent payout if i can.

--------------------

Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They're only obligated to pay you fair market value for the car - whatever it costs to replace it with another car of the same year/model with the same miles and condition. The intent of insurance is not for you to profit from the incident. Just because someone smashes your V6 pony doesn't mean they would reimburse you for the value of a GT - same logic in your case. Also, if the car is totaled (repair more than value of the car) they pay you the value of the car and not the cost of repairs since it exceeds fair market value

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Regardless of where you take the car or how much the estimate is that they write you, the other guys insurance will low ball you. Your pay out will be based on their estimate only. No shop is going to know the full extent of the damage until they start working on the car. At that point, they will notify the insurance company if they require more money to finish the job. If they are not claiming a total loss, your best bet is to have your car repaired at a really good expensive shop because the insurance company will foot the bill. DO NOT ACCEPT THEIR FIRST OFFER. You can physically accept the check they write you, but do not cash it, do not agree to close the claim.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:
Regardless of where you take the car or how much the estimate is that they write you, the other guys insurance will low ball you. Your pay out will be based on their estimate only. No shop is going to know the full extent of the damage until they start working on the car. At that point, they will notify the insurance company if they require more money to finish the job. If they are not claiming a total loss, your best bet is to have your car repaired at a really good expensive shop because the insurance company will foot the bill. DO NOT ACCEPT THEIR FIRST OFFER. You can physically accept the check they write you, but do not cash it, do not agree to close the claim.

is it to my advantage to make sure whhatever collision shop i got to does not work with geico considering i have heard that nowadayz if a shop works with a certain insurance company, the shop actually cuts the insurance a deal on the repair cost

--------------------

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You are only going to get market value of the car unless you had it appraised and insured for that amount.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.10psi:
quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:

is it to my advantage to make sure whhatever collision shop i got to does not work with geico considering i have heard that nowadayz if a shop works with a certain insurance company, the shop actually cuts the insurance a deal on the repair cost
If you're concerned about favoritism, take it to a full service dealership. For example; My 03' Sierra got rearended just last year so I took it to the GMC Cadillac dealership by my work and they did a great job. They required about $4k more than what the insurance company quoted when they tore into the truck, contacted them and it was approved.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you will need to take the vehicle to an Geico shop or have an adjuster come out to write the estimate if you are going to cash out. Insurance companies will rarely pay out based on an outside body shops estimate without reviewing it.
if its obviously more damage than the vehicle is worth they will total the vehicle, pay you fair market value, and either take the car, or sell it back to you, at which point you will have to re-register the car as a salvage title.
best bet is to go to a shop and see if they will write an estimate just short of totaling it (within reason), that way you get the most amount of money and keep the vehicle a clean title.

--------------------
91' Notch

mikeP
¯
Member # 4489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeP  Ford pictures for mikeP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a similar situation. Other parties fault. Their insurance gave me an option to take it as a total loss and would take the car and cut me check for $4100 or I could keep the car and take a check for $3000......I took second option and fixed it myself of course DMV will label it as a SALVAGED Title now....Think it was progressive insurance the other guys insurance..

--------------------
91 vert lx 5.0, 68 CS, 69 BB nova

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:

he is correct, I just went through this they sent me a check directly.

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let us know how it turns out either way. I'm sure it will be in the insurance companies best interest though, not the customers.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is a lot of misinformation which makes the claims process a nightmare for claims adjusters. I'm happy to be out of the business but even happier I was never an adjuster. Boy, I would surely dislike working with most of you based on your perceptions of how insurance "should" work. LOL [Big Grin]

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread, feel free to keep on adding more advice or tips

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com