Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » refreshing a 302 block

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: refreshing a 302 block
mike50quiroz
Member # 13908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike50quiroz  Ford pictures for mike50quiroz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So i came across this block that has 5A12 stamped and researching it says it came out of a 65 mustang. My question is how are these blocks compared to the 302s on the fox bodys from 79 to 93? are they stronger weaker? im going to replace rings,bearings,bolts and put the ford X cam. Its going to be just a cruiser car
CoyoteMike
¯
Member # 13748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoyoteMike  Ford pictures for CoyoteMike  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If its stock, stock heads and an X cam its a great block (pretty much the same as a fox block)

--------------------
Racist, bigot Michael Ford / Mike Ford aka FiveOhMike of 2039 XXXXXXXy XXX Livermore, CA 94551, DOB Nov 3X, 1980 925-XXX-6667 and Director at Midokura Corp has been banned for continual threats of violence against other members, half a dozen fake accounts, lying to police to implicate CAFords and other shameful acts of revealing character. He is reported to be well armed and regularly spotted at the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station.

--------
2013 GT 5.0 Coupe
2014 Focus ST
2015 Buick LaCrosse Premium

Posts: 580 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Sep 2014  |  :
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You will need some link bar retro fit lifters to run a roller cam in that block.
Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
You will need some link bar retro fit lifters to run a roller cam in that block.

He could drill and tap the lifter valley but I would advise using link bar lifters. Also you might wanna double check and see if that's a 289 block.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

mike50quiroz
Member # 13908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike50quiroz  Ford pictures for mike50quiroz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im going to transfer what i have in my fox right now
witch is gt40p heads ported,1.7 roller rockers, harden pushrods,trickflow intake, 70mm throttle
body. curently i have the trickflow stage 1 cam was thinking of going with the stage 2 but just decided to go with the x cam

mike50quiroz
Member # 13908

im going to transfer what i have in my fox right now
witch is gt40p heads ported,1.7 roller rockers, harden pushrods,trickflow intake, 70mm throttle
body. curently i have the trickflow stage 1 cam was thinking of going with the stage 2 but just decided to go with the x cam

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:
quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:

He could drill and tap the lifter valley but I would advise using link bar lifters. Also you might wanna double check and see if that's a 289 block.
If my memory is correct. The base circle on most roller cams is larger the flat tappet cams. This will move the lifter higher in the bore witch will cause oil starvation to the lifters. A retro lifter would be a safe way to go. The oil groove is in a different place or is wider on a retro lifter than on a stock roller lifter.

If its a c5 block it is a 289 or 260. 302s didn't arrive till 67

[ 2015-10-22, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: 4IDFOX ]

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it's a '65 block, also make sure what bellhousing bolt pattern it has. In mid-'65 they changed from a 5-bolt to the modern 6-bolt pattern. Also, pretty sure you would need to run retro-fit lifters. I believe the lifter bore depths are different which would prevent you from running 5.0 roller lifters and the spider tray.

[ 2015-10-22, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
mike50quiroz
Member # 13908

the block is exactly as my block that came off my 91 Gt and that is a stock 91 block

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com