Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » FAILED smog.... have a question,

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: FAILED smog.... have a question,
91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91redmustang  Ford pictures for 91redmustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just bought an 88 notch, took it to get it smogged and passed the emissions but failed the OBD test and he also failed me on the visual because it didn't have the stock 4 catted h-pipe.

My question is can I take to another smog station or must I take it back to where it failed?

9stangvert3
¯
Member # 12934

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9stangvert3  Ford pictures for 9stangvert3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can take it somewhere else but unless you have a hook up then they won't pass you. You need all cats to pass visual.

--------------------
Built ford tough

91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91redmustang  Ford pictures for 91redmustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok.... good. It has a catted (2 cats) h pipe on it, dude failed me cause it wasn't a stock h pipe with the 4 cats. Don't want to go thru the hassle of looking for a stock h pipe and having to installing, then hoping the cats are good.

Rather just pay another $55 bux

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91redmustang:
ok.... good. It has a catted (2 cats) h pipe on it, dude failed me cause it wasn't a stock h pipe with the 4 cats. Don't want to go thru the hassle of looking for a stock h pipe and having to installing, then hoping the cats are good.

Rather just pay another $55 bux

Still won't pass with 2 cats.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Seriously.....? Damn, this sucks!
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try smogging with no cats.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can try asking other shops before hand if they will fail you on visual. You may get lucky, but it's a long shot. Start looking for a stock 4 cat mid pipe.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Guess I need to start looking for a stock one... Thanks guys
Infamous5.0
CAFords OG
Member # 1745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infamous5.0  Ford pictures for Infamous5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
"failed the OBD test" cats should be the least of your concern. See why the check engine light is one before you spend any more money on cats.

--------------------
To be or not to be

*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Als50*  Ford pictures for *Als50*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is a guy on here who sells Strawberries who mite be able to "Help" ye...
Posts: 1897 | From: La Bahia... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 135.0:
Try smogging with no cats.

+1
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Infamous5.0:
"failed the OBD test" cats should be the least of your concern. See why the check engine light is one before you spend any more money on cats.

Probably failed because the mil didn't come when the car was first started.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
quote:
Originally posted by Infamous5.0:

Probably failed because the mil didn't come when the car was first started.
Yeah that was it... the previous owner had a 90-93 white face gauge cluster, which has the check air bag light where the check engine light should be. Replaced that yesterday with a correct 87-89 speedo cluster.

Prior to smogging it I removed the gauge cluster to replace the speedo cable cause it was no good(exhaust burn the cable). Not sure if that also caused it to fail the obd test?

theconductor
¯
Member # 13458

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for theconductor  Ford pictures for theconductor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a Mac 4 catted "hi-flow" xpipe. No problems with smog.

--------------------
Woke Bruh

Posts: 349 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Feb 2014  |  :
JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have never seen or heard of an OBD TEST on an 1988 car for smog

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
Lemonade
¯
Member # 3692

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemonade  Ford pictures for Lemonade    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JZTRK:

I was guessing it was a CEL [Confused]

Lems

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
Originally posted by Lemonade:
quote:
Originally posted by JZTRK:

I was guessing it was a CEL [Confused]

Lems

You would be correct.
04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go to a shop that is No Pass No Pay...

They want to get paid. It's in their best interest to overlook small things like number of cats, as long as it passes the sniffer. I passed smog at a No Pass No Pay with a Bassani X-pipe with two high flow cats.

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Swapped the h pipe with a stock one and it passed on Wednesday.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com