Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Thinking about buying 7.3 Excursion

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Thinking about buying 7.3 Excursion
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any advice on this purchase. It looks like the engines are pretty bullet proof. The trans might be the weak link with a rough life span of about 150K. Sounds like the front end eats ball joints and brakes.

Other then injectors and the CPS on hte engine are there any other worry zones for these types of rigs?

Thank you,

Eric

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
totalkaos92
¯
Member # 5750

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for totalkaos92  Ford pictures for totalkaos92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm in the market for one too... there pretty hard to find with under 200k miles and when you do there 25-30k
Posts: 2175 | From: the bay area | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love my '02. So far, I changed the IDM and Valve cover gaskets (since they burn out the connectors for injectors)..other than that..been pretty trouble free with 250k miles. MBRP exhaust, AFE intake, and DP tune...I'm getting 20-21 on the freeway doing 70 mph...75-80 it gets 17-18 mpg. did a 1200 mile round trip this summer fully loaded plus 7 people. I did a brake upgrade and Timken Hubs before my trip...

[ 2015-09-01, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: CornOil_&_Boost ]

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

hidnn0s
¯
Member # 13845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn0s  Ford pictures for hidnn0s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an 03, this is the only vehicle I know I never want to get rid of, regardless of what I have to replace. It's extremely awesome that we can pack the kids and their friends comfortably in the vehicle, along with a bunch of weight in the back AND tow the boat at the same time.

7.3 weak link is transmission/converter. If it fails, there is a killer upgraded trans and converter that can be built, then you're done.
6.0 weak link is the engine, trans is solid. I've already installed bullet proof stuff on mine but if the trans or engine failed, I'd replace anything, there is no vehicle out there, within reason, that can do what a diesel Excursion can with comfort while getting great fuel mileage, considering......

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Transmission is weak but there are solid replacements like John woods or bts. Uvc wiring harness, cps, and a few I rings that go bad. I love my f250 pretty much same parts as the excursion. Good luck finding one for a good price.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just picked up a 99 f350 7.3 extended cab with 170k miles... Needs paint and a front bumper but it's super solid. It's gonna be my work truck/toy hauler
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The weak point for the transmission is the torque converter, when the torque convert goes it flushes metal particals into the trans and then the trans get damaged. Throw a stage 3 torque convert in it and it'll be a lot stronger.

I did a cross over oil line which made my 7.3 run smoother. I have a AFE Stage3 intake, Ported and polished turbo with a wicked wheel, DPTuner chip, 4 inch exhaust straight piped
I get 20-21mpg highway and 18mpg street.

[ 2015-09-01, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Wildfire532FB ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com