Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Cheaper to buy a bare 306 block, or buy a stock 302 block and bore it out myself

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Cheaper to buy a bare 306 block, or buy a stock 302 block and bore it out myself
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Should i buy a 306 bare block, or buy a bare 302 and bore it out myself. I have heard from quite a few members that have ran a 306 and got great numbers. I was wanting to build a 351, but my budget will not allow it right now. Plus, this will be my first engine build so i figured I start with something small.

What do you guys think, and what are 302 and 306 blocks going for?

Charles [patriot]

[ 2015-07-24, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: KARATExxCHUCK ]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Doesn't cost much to bore it out. Plus if you buy one already done (used) you would still have to get it checked out to make sure it's good.. Start with your block get it bored and cleaned this way you don't have to worry about it.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I will probably buy a bare block and go the route you were talking about. I will be doing this little by litle (money). Hahaha

Charles [patriot]

--------------------

ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Building a bare 306 isnt going to be cheaper than building a 351w..all machine work, balancing is going to cost the same.
Id do 351w bore it to a 357 using .030 over pistons stock rods and crank get some gt40 heads if your on a budget also get custom cam and intake. If you decide to use a supercharger or turbo down the road get pistons that will give you around 8:9.1 compression if you decide you want nitrous get pistons that will give you around 10:1 compression. Just make sure you get forged pistons and not hyper.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

@ed650 it is all the other special prep work the 351 needs like a different flywheel and stuff. AND SMOG! I hate having to deal with smog. I do plan on supercharging it down the road.

What all can be used from my stock 302 to my 351 if i decide to build one.

Charles [patriot]

--------------------

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just my dos centavos, but it's almost always cheaper to just buy an engine someone is selling than trying to build one yourself. I thought I could get away with a cheap shortblock build. $2500 later, I have a 306 when I could have probably bought a complete 331 or 347 shortblock.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
Just my dos centavos, but it's almost always cheaper to just buy an engine someone is selling than trying to build one yourself. I thought I could get away with a cheap shortblock build. $2500 later, I have a 306 when I could have probably bought a complete 331 or 347 shortblock.

My thoughts exactly just buy from a well known person on Here like Lee ect... I understand it's fun to buy parts and assemble as You get them but in the end You can be on the road sooner by saving up the cash and buying used all ready too go!

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 buy your motor from Racsirx he got what you need.. [patriot]
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

That is true! I am now torn because I want to say i built it, but if it's just cheaper to buy it already built than why not go that route. The biggest problem for me is the money. I wouldnt be able to drop a huge chunk of dough all at once, decisions!!!

Charles [patriot]

--------------------

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.fordstrokers.com
Can't go wrong with either the DIY or a built shortblock.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just to give you an idea of cost, here's what I had done to my 302. I did everything through Morgan's Machine & Marine in Walnut Creek. Not the cheapest, but definitely one of the best in the bay.

Parts = $667
L2482F Speed Pro pistons
Speed Pro moly rings
Clevite bearings (mains, rods & cam)
Cloyes double roller timing chain
Ford oil pump
ARP oil pump drive
ARP rod bolts
Oil plugs
Steel block dowels
Crank key
Flywheel Ring gear

Labor = $1550
Debure and blueprint oil pump
Clean & prep block & crank
Magnaflux block
Debure block & chase all bolt holes w/tap
Deck block
Cylinder bore & hone w/torque plate
Install cam bearings, freeze & oil plugs
Glass peen crank
Chamfer oil holes on crank, rods, & block
Turn down crank (.010/.010)
Polish crank
Glass peen rods
Install ARP rod bolts
Align hone rod big ends
Fit pistons to rods
Balance rotating assembly (to within 3/10ths of a gram)
Surface flywheel
Re-ring flywheel

Tax = $61
Total = $2278

It all adds up quick. This doesn't even include assembly of the shortblock. That would probably have been another $500-$600 easy.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
351w
¯
Member # 11875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351w  Ford pictures for 351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
306's run harder than 351's
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

I guess the best thing to do is add up what parts i would want and try to see if i can find a block with the same setup.

Thank you all for the information!!

[patriot]

--------------------

lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
89-92 5.0 Shortblocks came with FORGED pistons from the factory...... You can run the Jug or Boost on 'em till the block cracks. Also those Explorer 5.0 motors on the jug haul ass. If your on a budget you got options. That's why I love 5.O's [burnout]

--------------------
*Municipio Yanga Veracruz

ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pm sent. I will have a 306 for sale soon.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

quote:
Originally posted by lxhatch5.0:
89-92 5.0 Shortblocks came with FORGED pistons from the factory...... You can run the Jug or Boost on 'em till the block cracks. Also those Explorer 5.0 motors on the jug haul ass. If your on a budget you got options. That's why I love 5.O's [burnout]

Oh! I know bro. I was under the assumption that they only had forged pistons, but now i know they have forged connecting rods as well. Ive always wanted to supercharge my car. So i just might buy an explorer intake, cam, some heads, and a supercharger and have some fun with that for a while.

Nothing sounds better than a cam lope with a WHINE!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[patriot]

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't trust anybody second hand used anything, no deal is worth it.
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
I wouldn't trust anybody second hand used anything, no deal is worth it.

I agree, next thing you know later down the road the engine will make some kind of noise. However, I would buy a engine with full documentation and actual miles from the original builder/owner.
Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

I really appreciate your input Duncan. You are well known around our forum. When i have the money for a supercharger, I will be coming to you. You have two complete kits i have had my eye on for a while now. Hahahaha

Charles [patriot]

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no problem man. seen to many sad stories because people try to save a buck and it ends up costing them thousands for junk in the end. still got the chargers too lol. good luck.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com