Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Opinions on HID kits please....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Opinions on HID kits please....
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want to buy a set of HID lights for my mustang. The only problem i have facing is im not sure what brand i should go and if the brand is worth the money. I found a set on Craigslist for 65 bucks. The brand is extreme lighting. I have never heard of that company. Ebay has a complete dual beam HI/LO 55W for my car for only 28 bucks;the brand is Xenon. I dont know who to buy from and i was just wanting your opinions on what company i should buy from. I am kind of leaning toward the ebay Xenon kit because it is only 28 bucks.

What do you guys think??

Charles [patriot]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get the xenon. Ive had mine for over 3 years with no problems. I recommend the 6000k bulb. White with just a hint of blue. My .02

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"No but its faster than your shoes"
"...."

Posts: 699 | From: SacGROWNmento | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
fordfiveoh
¯
Member # 13107

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fordfiveoh  Ford pictures for fordfiveoh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The xenon ones sound like a good buy. I used to have their bulbs in my 87gt before I bought my HID kit from tophids.com. I've had my HID kit for over a year and no complaints. But for $28 that's a hell of a deal!
Posts: 180 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Aug 2013  |  :
4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont believe in HID's in non-projector housings, but when the topic of HID's comes up i always hear good things about DDM tuning.

--------------------
"The clutch is on the left. Gas on the right."
"What's this one in the middle?"
"It's for pussies."

06ragtopgt_SOS
¯
Member # 11327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Ford pictures for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I made the mistake of buying a xentec slim ballast 6000k kit on ebay for my 06 mustang. One of the lights doesnt turn on half the time and they are super blue, like ricer 10000k blue. I have done some research and everyone says to make sure you get the larger metal bodied ballasts and not the slim plastic ones (which I have). I am going to replace mine with a 55w 5000k katsuni kit from amazon, which gets great reviews in a few forums I visit. I have also read that all of the kits in the lower price range come from the same factory in China and end up with different brand stickers on them.

--------------------
Lame ass 2006 3V GT. Low and slow, all bark, no bite.

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 06ragtopgt_SOS:
I made the mistake of buying a xentec slim ballast 6000k kit on ebay for my 06 mustang. One of the lights doesnt turn on half the time and they are super blue, like ricer 10000k blue. I have done some research and everyone says to make sure you get the larger metal bodied ballasts and not the slim plastic ones (which I have). I am going to replace mine with a 55w 5000k katsuni kit from amazon, which gets great reviews in a few forums I visit. I have also read that all of the kits in the lower price range come from the same factory in China and end up with different brand stickers on them.

Does the company make 9004 kits? If so, can you send me the link? All the kits i keep finding on amazon are the same on ebay, but for double the money.

Charles [patriot]

--------------------

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

@fordfiveoh

I thought the same thing to myself, but i also thought that sounds really cheap. I just don't want to buy them and regret it later. I was thinking of going 10K, but im not sure how it would look on my car?? Do you have any pics of your car with your HID lights?

Charles [patriot]

--------------------

RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've use this place for a few cars

http://www.hidnation.com/

Don't go above 6k unless you want the blue-purple tints.

On my Fox & Cobra I have K Light HIDs but they aren't that easy to find. Also make sure you aim the lights properly or you'll blind everyone.

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
351w
¯
Member # 11875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351w  Ford pictures for 351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HID kits are about as cool as painted alternators, try this instead all the cool mustang owners are doing it: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-9004LED/Mustang-Headlight-LED-Bulb-Set-87-93
fordfiveoh
¯
Member # 13107

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fordfiveoh  Ford pictures for fordfiveoh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I tagged you on a vid on Instagram, you can check out my kit there. It's the 6000k white/blue and I'm happy with that color combo
Posts: 180 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Aug 2013  |  :
06ragtopgt_SOS
¯
Member # 11327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Ford pictures for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KARATExxCHUCK:
quote:

Does the company make 9004 kits? If so, can you send me the link? All the kits i keep finding on amazon are the same on ebay, but for double the money.

Charles [patriot]

My mistake, the brand is kensun, not katsuni (I wonder where the hell I got that word from?)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004ZF39T0/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?qid=1433362122&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=katsuni+9004+hid+kit

--------------------

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DDMtuning.com 4 yrs and counting

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
FOXX5.0
¯
Member # 9094

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOXX5.0  Ford pictures for FOXX5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I vote for K LIGHT but they are expensive but way better then the eBay kits quality and function
I had my kit for a while with no flickering or color changing issue
After buying a zentec hid kit to try it out I took them off immediately I didn't like them had issue with the bulbs turning off and flickering and one bulb had a different color to it

[ 2015-06-03, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: FOXX5.0 ]

MauriSSio
¯
Member # 9943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MauriSSio  Ford pictures for MauriSSio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
6000k is really too blue. Go with 5000k.

HID'S in almost all non projector housings looks like you're driving around with high beams on. You will pissing a lot of people off so be carefu. Have your carb stickers, registration and cayalyctic converters on and don't drive behind cops because you will probably annoy them as well and get pulled over. I'm just saying, just know it's another reason to get pulled over and possibly messed with unfortunately. With that said, I have 5500k on my classic

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used to have an 8k kit on my old 03 Mach 1 that I installed back in 2007, and I thought it was pretty cool back then. After I got a car with real factory projector HID's, I will never go back to the drop in non-projector style HID headlamps again, they scatter too much & blind incoming drivers. Stock Halogen FTW.

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

06ragtopgt_SOS
¯
Member # 11327

All you guys saying stuff about blinding other drivers, did you have your headlights aimed properly? Not just eyeball, but using a sniper aiming tool, because I used to have access to one and used it when I installed mine and I have never had an issue with people complaining. Just curious because this seems to be a common issue brought up.

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
All you guys saying stuff about blinding other drivers, did you have your headlights aimed properly? Not just eyeball, but using a sniper aiming tool, because I used to have access to one and used it when I installed mine and I have never had an issue with people complaining. Just curious because this seems to be a common issue brought up.

Nope, never had mine professionally aimed, just pointed them down to where they looked normal. Like I said, after owning a car with real factory projector HID headlamps, I'm just not a fan of how non projector HID's look, especially on a fox or cars with fluted, or non clear headlamp lenses. Projector HID retrofit in clear fox headlamps look good when done right.

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Well when someone passes me on the freeway or in town traffic, I am not gonna go out of my way to flag someone down and tell them their car is blinding people...... Not trying to get shot LOL.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

06ragtopgt_SOS
¯
Member # 11327

quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:
quote:

Well when someone passes me on the freeway or in town traffic, I am not gonna go out of my way to flag someone down and tell them their car is blinding people...... Not trying to get shot LOL.
True I suppose, you never know what to expect now a days. But fwiw I payed very close attention to the cutoff line on my lights and it is definetly below the line of sight of 95% of most stock vehicles out there. Maybe I just got lucky.

--------------------

coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hidmasters.com or ddmtuning.com

--------------------
R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt)
96 4.6- H/C/I 5.3 LS swap
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Thank you for all of your responses. After researching a lot, I think i just might buy brighter bulbs at Auto Zone or Oreillys. No sense of buying an HID kit when i can get the same results, maybe better, with just brighter lights.

Charles [patriot]

--------------------

BULLITTMAN
¯
Member # 8468

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BULLITTMAN  Ford pictures for BULLITTMAN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KARATExxCHUCK:
Thank you for all of your responses. After researching a lot, I think i just might buy brighter bulbs at Auto Zone or Oreillys. No sense of buying an HID kit when i can get the same results, maybe better, with just brighter lights.

Charles [patriot]

What year mustang do you drive? If it's a new edge 99-04 the Hids will not blind people if you adjust them low enough. I've had mine for about 4 years and I haven't had a problem with them.

--------------------
R.I.P Little Bro Willie Guzman (5LTRSVT) 4/24/87 - 11/23/12
01 Bullitt #3102 Stroked and blown
Built and tuned by Shaun at AED
14 Fiesta ST

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

I have a 92 mustang GT.

Charles [patriot]

[ 2015-06-06, 03:55 AM: Message edited by: KARATExxCHUCK ]

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com