Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Dual Sport/Endurbikes

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Dual Sport/Endurbikes
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any one have any experience with these?

My last bike was a r6, thinking of switching over to dual sport reason being the offroad and on road capabilities. The honda crf250l is at the top of my list right now. Pros and cons? or should I stick to crotch rockets?

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
brandon151
¯
Member # 12990

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for brandon151  Ford pictures for brandon151    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The amount of power is obviously way different, there will also be more maintenence on any dual sport. The maitenence doesnt cost much compared to full street bikes... having the offroad capability would be a big plus. I wouldnt dare take that crf250l on any freeway though.
ZincYellow 281
¯
Member # 9865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZincYellow 281  Ford pictures for ZincYellow 281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Having the off road capabilities is awesome but will you really need it? I have a 250 Ktm, not street legal. I don't plan on ridding on any roads, that's why I didn't get a dual sport.
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I swapped bikes with a buddy for a weekend. He took my VFR and I took his KTM 525. I really wanted a dual sport until I rode that bike, especially on the freeway. Yes it was fun, but for like a split second. Then I realized riding this thing on the freeway was possibly the most uncomfortable and dangerous thing I think I've ever done. A big thumper like that just isn't comfortable to ride at the RPMs needed to travel at a safe highway speed. A twin like a KLR might be a little more comfortable.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:
any one have any experience with these?

My last bike was a r6, thinking of switching over to dual sport reason being the offroad and on road capabilities. The honda crf250l is at the top of my list right now. Pros and cons? or should I stick to crotch rockets?

Explains everything, your a dual sport enduro kind of guy [Wink]
TMA Turbo Donald
¯
Member # 11926

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TMA Turbo Donald  Ford pictures for TMA Turbo Donald    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 2014 DRZ400SM
 -

Don't know what your budget is, but if you're eyeing the CRF250L I would consider the WR250R also.

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ that's nice. How fast does it go? Also I'm pretty open budget wise just don't really know what options I got.

There is a 250l I think I can get for a decent price

[ 2015-05-07, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: 90GT510 ]

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

TMA Turbo Donald
¯
Member # 11926

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TMA Turbo Donald  Ford pictures for TMA Turbo Donald    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I do 70mph on average on 680 around the Sunol grade on the Highway. With the stock gearing 15T 41T. wide open throttle is around 85mph.
Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go bigger if I were you. That bike would be fun for awhile, then you will "outgrow" the 250 really quick, unless your not planning on taking it on the freeway at all. Especially coming from an r6. Those bikes are really fun though, easier to get in trouble imo because you feel like your on a dirt bike just hot rodding around everywhere lol.

--------------------
Jesus is king!

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan_LX:
I would go bigger if I were you. That bike would be fun for awhile, then you will "outgrow" the 250 really quick, unless your not planning on taking it on the freeway at all. Especially coming from an r6. Those bikes are really fun though, easier to get in trouble imo because you feel like your on a dirt bike just hot rodding around everywhere lol.

Exactly haha fuck traffic I'm taking the sidewalk.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

brandon151
¯
Member # 12990

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for brandon151  Ford pictures for brandon151    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could always try and find a crf450x that has plates already. They tend to be quite pricy but they are great bikes.
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by brandon151:
You could always try and find a crf450x that has plates already. They tend to be quite pricy but they are great bikes.

-
TMA Turbo Donald
¯
Member # 11926

quote:
Originally posted by Blue92:
quote:
Originally posted by brandon151:

-
Sweet Supermoto!!!! I would go this route if I had to do it all over again!
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go bigger than a 250. Dual Sports are a total blast. Most fun I ever had on a bike. You can do wheelies all over the place and have a ton of fun under 100mph, so they are safer than some 150+HP sport bike. I am drueling over the new KTM 500 EXC dual sport. Lighter than my DRZ400E dirtbike, 20% more horsepower, and has turn signals, lights, and a plate. Sweet, but it cost $11000!!!! Probably never be in my budget. FYI, my DRZ dirt only ran 13.60 in the 1/4 at 94mph. I had to gear it up for this. The dual sport version is heavier, has lower compression, and a different carb and is in the mid to high 14's. You could still gear it to be okay at 70mph for shorter stints on the freeway. That 250 probably tops out at 80mph and would take a long time to get there. I don't know why Yamaha and Honda are using their 250's for dual sports when thier 450's would make such a better dual sport. I may look for an already CA licensed WR450 or CRF450X when I get my next bike since that KTM will probably always be twice as much.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much off road are you thinking? The crf250l is slow everywhere and mediocre offroad. I have a husky 310r, which is fine in the city or streets,but shot on the freeway. It's a offroad race bike that happens to have a plate. The ktm exc 350 and 500 or basically re badged husky 350l and 501l are simaler but have wider ratio trans allowing sustained freeway speeds more attainable. Then you got drz's which are closer to a true dual sport without weight a ton.....not race bikes, but capable enough offroad.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by Bent70:
How much off road are you thinking? The crf250l is slow everywhere and mediocre offroad. I have a husky 310r, which is fine in the city or streets,but shot on the freeway. It's a offroad race bike that happens to have a plate. The ktm exc 350 and 500 or basically re badged husky 350l and 501l are simaler but have wider ratio trans allowing sustained freeway speeds more attainable. Then you got drz's which are closer to a true dual sport without weight a ton.....not race bikes, but capable enough offroad.

I want it mostly for off road use. Just want to have the option of riding it to the off-road spots since I don't have a truck
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your riding from the eastbay to like close spots....like carnige,metcalf or Hollister. Get something with a wide ratio trans 400cc+. It'll suck riding on the freeway after awhile. Basically, I'd get any late model KTM exc larger than 350cc or any bigbore beta rs. If you can find a plated wr450 those would fit the bill and be cheaper, but know you could lose the plate at anytime since it slipped past DMV.
These are bikes that work really well offroad.

[ 2015-05-17, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Bent70 ]

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com