Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Have a question about tuning?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Have a question about tuning?
87_ssp
¯
Member # 11152

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87_ssp  Ford pictures for 87_ssp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I finally got my car to turn on and drive for the most part but I keep having idling issues I've i switched out iac ,tps and have done the idle reset plenty of times it will fix the idle but when I got and hit the gas it will go crazy again . So I was researching and people say that when they keep getting those problems it's beacuse it needs a tune . The car is a 302 , Holley heads , holley intake 1" spacer , 75mm tb , #42 injectors and c&l maf & a vortech v1 . Do you guys think the tune will help ?

--------------------
1987 SSP
1990 LX Convetible Black on Black
1980 TTop Coupe

Posts: 416 | From: The Valley | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not necessarily especially with that combo. it is very simple and doesnt need a tune a tune to idle. you are having another issue if the idle is going crazy like that. it would be worth more to pay a professional to get that issue fixed first instead of a tune....

Here is my old coupe...stock computer / BTM with bigger heads and cam than yours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U4XDUFArEE

idled and ran just fine

[ 2015-04-06, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: CornOil_&_Boost ]

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

87_ssp
¯
Member # 11152

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87_ssp  Ford pictures for 87_ssp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CornOil_&_Boost:
Not necessarily especially with that combo. it is very simple and doesnt need a tune a tune to idle. you are having another issue if the idle is going crazy like that. it would be worth more to pay a professional to get that issue fixed first instead of a tune..

That's another thing I read before too that i don't really need a tune to run good . But that may have to be an option .

--------------------
1987 SSP
1980 TTop Coupe

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A tune did not fix my idle surge..I've had my car tuned by 3 different places and still didn't go away. No vacuum leaks etc. no issues.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

87_ssp
¯
Member # 11152

quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:
A tune did not fix my idle surge..I've had my car tuned by 3 different places and still didn't go away. No vacuum leaks etc. no issues.

That's kinda trippin me out now. I don't wanna take it to a shop and they can't get it right and is still have to pay that's kinda what's holding me back from going the "professional" shop way.

--------------------
1987 SSP
1980 TTop Coupe

theconductor
¯
Member # 13458

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for theconductor  Ford pictures for theconductor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Personally, I wouldn't feel safe running a blown car without a tune.

As far as the idle goes, if the tune doesn't help....

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/help-me-create-the-surging-idle-checklist.698148/

--------------------
Woke Bruh

Posts: 349 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Feb 2014  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87_ssp:
quote:

That's kinda trippin me out now. I don't wanna take it to a shop and they can't get it right and is still have to pay that's kinda what's holding me back from going the "professional" shop way.
there could be 100s of things causing the idle surge that may not even be concerned with vacuum etc...bad EGR, stuck Bypass....

in any case...the idle can and SHOULD be fixed...

done dozens of these combos with friends and like 25% of the time, there comes and idle surge issue...unfortunately, you might have to start throwing small parts at it to figure it out..

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you running a bleed/adjustment plate on the IAC? This handles the idle issue nearly every time.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Are you running a bleed/adjustment plate on the IAC? This handles the idle issue nearly every time.

Can you elaborate a bit? I'm interested and never heard about a bleed/adjustment plate, thanks.

--------------------
ET's to come

hidnn0s
¯
Member # 13845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn0s  Ford pictures for hidnn0s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Can you elaborate a bit? I'm interested and never heard about a bleed/adjustment plate, thanks.
Call Ford, ask for just that. They used to stock them
87_ssp
¯
Member # 11152

quote:

Are you talking about the iac spacer? I had one on already but I took it off it made the car act less crazy.. But it could have not been adjusted properly

--------------------
1987 SSP
1980 TTop Coupe

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my car wouldn't idle at all until I got one of the IAC adjuster plates and got it setup right.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-9939A/1986-93-Mustang-50L-58L-Idle-Air-Control-Iac-Adjuster

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

quote:
Originally posted by 87_ssp:
quote:

Are you talking about the iac spacer? I had one on already but I took it off it made the car act less crazy.. But it could have not been adjusted properly
oh crap now I remember, yes I do have one of those (if that's what hes talking about) and no, it did not help.

--------------------
ET's to come

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com