Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » opinions? 1999 bmw 540i

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: opinions? 1999 bmw 540i
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are your guys' thoughts on a 1999 bmw 540i with 160k miles? 6 speed, no problems right now, i dont know anything about beamers lol

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Posts: 1519 | From: under the hood | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much money have you set aside for "shit has now gone wrong" fund?

That should answer your question [Big Grin]

Just like with any vehicle items will go wrong sporadically, but individual parts are quite a bit steeper compared to your more common DD.

[ 2015-03-11, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Black 02 SS ]

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I daily drive an '04 325i, shit can get expensive when shit goes wrong. So far everything is just under 3x the money for the same part on a Mustang. Car does pull and drive smooth as shit, I'm sure it can take out stock foxes with this inline 6.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had two E39 Bimmers and all I can say is that if you don't have receipts for the service performed on it, DONT BUY IT! They have major cooling system issues that lead to cracked/warped heads. They turn into money pits. I'd recommend AGAINST buying one if it will be a daily driver/only car.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobrasvt8:
What are your guys' thoughts on a 1999 bmw 540i with 160k miles? 6 speed, no problems right now, i dont know anything about beamers lol

Going against the grain here, I daily drive an E39 540I M-Sport. I've had a few things go wrong but the PM (preventive maint.) has been done.

On these cars
Radiator, Hoses, Rear burst hose (Lower intake man to heads in the back) and coolant overflow were already done for me. Ive not had a problem with it overheating, or anything else. I had 209k when I bought it, I have it still at 233k with it running strong.

Those are the things you want to make sure you have taken care of before it should be driver daily. One other part to look at is the thrust arms (Lower control arm) bushings.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
06ragtopgt_SOS
¯
Member # 11327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Ford pictures for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does that car have the M62 V8? I don't know about the rest of the car, but I know that engine pretty well, I even made a coffee table out of one (I was a Land Rover tech for about 3.5 years, that envine powered the range rover 03-05) It likes to leak from the front cover (3 piece), the cam actuator seals, and the valve covers. It develops some of the nastiest sludge I have ever seen, and the coolant hoses don't hold up too well as they age. Also the timing chain guides are plastic and if they let go you usually have to replace the vanos units ($$$). That being said, maintenance records
are key, if you're prepared for pricey repairs, they run pretty decent.

--------------------
Lame ass 2006 3V GT. Low and slow, all bark, no bite.

9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I figured they would be pretty pricey and im not sure i want to have one without some of this key stuff already done. I will talk to the guy and see jf he has any records for it and what has already been done to it, thanks for the input fellas [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Bottle Fed
¯
Member # 2686

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bottle Fed  Ford pictures for Bottle Fed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't do it, just sold my Buddys 2001 540i with 190k and all kinds of problems

--------------------
1988 Saleen convt #522 SC
1989 Saleen #420 408 w/BOOST!
2009 M5
2000 Yamaha R1
2013 S4

Posts: 2264 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just make sure it's been taken care of and everything looks right. I have an e60 m5 and a e30 (which is for sale) both cars have been super reliable. Just keep on top of maintenance.

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Boss 327:
Just make sure it's been taken care of and everything looks right. I have an e60 m5 and a e30 (which is for sale) both cars have been super reliable. Just keep on top of maintenance.

Send me info on the e30, pm me.

Old bimmers and just like newer bimmers out of warranty. They're expensive to maintain.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive owned just one 540i 2000 and it was one of my favorite cars to drive. the power and the 6 speed is amazing for a 4 door sedan. its extremely smooth and handles great.

like some have mentioned, they require alot of maintenance. the biggest problem i had with it was the valve stem seals were leaking oil. check that by starting the car before its been warm and see if smoke comes out of the pipes.

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love BMWs but I wouldn't have one without a warranty, my old 745li would have been a money pit if I didn't have a warranty, I am only keeping my F30 for 2 years before the warranty ends, but they are fun to own.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Well dude never sent the pics i asked for so i geuss that ends that lmao

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't ever buy a Bimmer out of warranty unless you have deep pockets and the patience of a saint. Check out my thread on my E39. I'm about ready to put mine on the market because I'm just tired of fixing shit on it.

http://californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=061731#000000

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com