Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Cops popping hoods, inspections....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Cops popping hoods, inspections....
Brokn Nx
¯
Member # 8526

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brokn Nx  Ford pictures for Brokn Nx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats the deal with personal rights regarding cops popping hoods to inspect for speed parts?

There was a death of a teenager around here recently, and the kids were described by the media as street racing. Really, it had no connection to 'real' as we understand it, street racing. It was kids hauling ass in an area around the highschool after a sports game.

Cop looking guys have shown up in undercover appearing cars to the local scene. Somehow, probably through social media, cops have arrived at just the right time and place to break up the party just before it gets started.....

I'm anticipating, as are many others, a kneejerk reaction by law enforcement on the issue. What is the proper way to handle cops asking, or attempting to force you, to pop your hood to look for speed parts? Can you refuse? Remain silent?

Whats the best way to deal with this if it should happen?

--------------------
85-0001 Saleen Mustang
88-362 Saleen Notch
85-090 Saleen Hatch
67 Stang Coupe

Posts: 333 | From: Santa Maria, CA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As long as everything is smog legal i dont think they can do anything anyways, unless you're breaking other laws

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Posts: 1519 | From: under the hood | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
Brokn Nx
¯
Member # 8526

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brokn Nx  Ford pictures for Brokn Nx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do the same rules of search apply as if they were looking for beer, drugs, or whatever cops are looking for when they ask to search your car?

They usually need permission or a warrant, right? Or probable cause?

--------------------
85-0001 Saleen Mustang
88-362 Saleen Notch
85-090 Saleen Hatch
67 Stang Coupe

9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Probably just need probable cause but if you drive a car like that they can probably just make up some bullshit reason, dont quote me though lol

[ 2015-02-25, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: 9cobrasvt8 ]

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Posts: 1519 | From: under the hood | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Police are load to make visual inspection 's of emissions system i.e the can pop your hood an they can send you to the ref makes the discussion if your are legal or not.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Theres no reason to have a bunch of illegal parts on your cars nowadays. They made cars with 700hp straight off the showroom floor.

[ 2015-02-25, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Robb ]

Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
Brokn Nx
¯
Member # 8526

The majority of the cops I know of have no idea what is a legal part is versus a illegal one. This is my major problem with the inspection process.

Shiny or anodized parts aren't always illegal.

Cops who don't know anything about speed parts tend to declare red plug wires as being illegal, when all they are is a different colored version of the same replacement part.

[ 2015-02-25, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Brokn Nx ]

--------------------
85-0001 Saleen Mustang
88-362 Saleen Notch
85-090 Saleen Hatch
67 Stang Coupe

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Brokn Nx:
The majority of the cops I know of have no idea what is a legal part is versus a illegal one. This is my major problem with the inspection process.

Shiny or anodized parts aren't always illegal.

Cops who don't know anything about speed parts tend to declare red plug wires as being illegal, when all they are is a different colored version of the same replacement part.

The police just have to question it legality of the parts an ref makes the discussion if legal or not.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
stanger00
¯
Member # 13818

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger00  Ford pictures for stanger00    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had a Pinole cop pace next to me from a stoplight and I needed to get into his lane. I slowed down and so did he, so, I dropped a gear and sped up to make my lane change. I got pulled over. He had a giant hauk of dip in his bottom lip that made him look like he was sucking on a piece of cat shit and handled himself about the same as his appearance, like a dirt bag.

I was in my 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 that only had aftermarket rims on it and all stock.

In order to avoid a ticket and further problems I complied with all his requests of popping the hood and the rest of the suck ass routine.

No ticket and no tow truck taking my car away. This happened in 2010.

--------------------
2000 Mustang GT Aluminator, TFS, Vortech, AED

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Robb:
Theres no reason to have a bunch of illegal parts on your cars nowadays. They made cars with 700hp straight off the showroom floor.

Lol !!!

Yeah, just go out and buy a 60-70k car. Be in debt and trade in the car you love (which used to be smog legal under older laws) and be forced to buy something new.

Mass consumerism, gotta love it lol.

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can see some cops opening hoods on like gt500 and giving a ticket cause of the open filter. Or jags new f type cause the exhaust is to loud.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
hidnn0s
¯
Member # 13845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn0s  Ford pictures for hidnn0s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by losbadgts:
I can see some cops opening hoods on like gt500 and giving a ticket cause of the open filter. Or jags new f type cause the exhaust is to loud.

Wife last weekend picked up a 2012 Jag XF S/C. Crazy nice car with stupid power for that much comfort! She traded in her 09 XF W/ S/C. While there the dealer remarked how loud the F type was and he fired it up for us to hear. I wasn't impressed, expected more from how much he talked it up.

Regarding can they pop your hood.... It's a shitty situation. You say no, they will likely make it happen And its your time you are out.

[ 2015-02-25, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: hidnn0s ]

Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
as stated above, they are technically allowed to pop the hood to "inspect the emissions equipment".. But it has to be based on probable cause; ie: loud exhaust, no cats when they look under the car, etc.. Regardless of whether you say yes or no, a cop will always find a way to check under your hood if he/she wants to.. Ive come to find out that if you actually cooperate and are cool with them, they tend to let shit slide.. But if you wanna sit there and be an asshole towards them, they will return the favor.. Just saying from personal experience!

Just get yourself something Pre-Smog and call it a day!! [Big Grin]

[ 2015-02-26, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Blow_U_In_Reverse ]

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
V C Section 2804 Inspection by Patrol Members

2804. A member of the California Highway Patrol upon reasonable belief that any vehicle is being operated in violation of any provisions of this code or is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person, may require the driver of the vehicle to stop and submit to an inspection of the vehicle, and its equipment, license plates, and registration card.

V C Section 2806 Vehicle and Equipment Inspection

2806. Any regularly employed and salaried police officer or deputy sheriff, or any reserve police officer or reserve deputy sheriff listed in Section 830.6 of the Penal Code, having reasonable cause to believe that any vehicle or combination of vehicles is not equipped as required by this code or is in any unsafe condition as to endanger any person, may require the driver to stop and submit the vehicle or combination of vehicles to an inspection and those tests as may be appropriate to determine the safety to persons and compliance with the code.

Brokn Nx
¯
Member # 8526

There it is. Thanks. I guess the best play, as usual, is to comply and remain as silent as possible.

I'm always cool with the cops when pulled over. Rarely do I ever get a ticket. I've never been issued an equipment citation, or been popped before, but the last time similar incidents happened the police had an impromptu inspection station setup in the parking area at the cruise spot. Several citations were issued, some for legit reasons and some were questionable.

--------------------
85-0001 Saleen Mustang
88-362 Saleen Notch
85-090 Saleen Hatch
67 Stang Coupe

89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you say no to the inspection they can order you to pop your hood. Refuse the order and you can get arrested for 2800(a) VC and still get your car inspected and towed. The officer can now go through your whole car as he/she is inventorying for the tow.

2800. (a) It is unlawful to willfully fail or refuse to comply with
a lawful order, signal, or direction of a peace officer, as defined
in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 of the Penal Code, when that peace officer is in uniform and is performing duties pursuant to any of the provisions of this code, or to refuse to submit to a lawful inspection pursuant to this code.

CHP2981
¯
Member # 9240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHP2981  Ford pictures for CHP2981    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same thing happen in Pinole. Wile I was getting off the freeway to Richmond pkwy, I wanted to get into the cops lane so I too used my blinker and merged. When the light changed the lights went up and I pulled into the Chevron. Another on came, they looked around and asked the usual questions. They asked to pop the hood so I popped it, but I was in my civic that just looks fast and they had this stupid look on there faces, looked at each other then closed the hood gave me my license and I continued to work. If I was a cop I would do my research then pull over. Im not talking bad about cops my brother is a Stockton cop.

--------------------
No half steppin

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89TRUNK:
V C Section 2804 Inspection by Patrol Members

2804. A member of the California Highway Patrol upon reasonable belief that any vehicle is being operated in violation of any provisions of this code or is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person, may require the driver of the vehicle to stop and submit to an inspection of the vehicle, and its equipment, license plates, and registration card.

V C Section 2806 Vehicle and Equipment Inspection

2806. Any regularly employed and salaried police officer or deputy sheriff, or any reserve police officer or reserve deputy sheriff listed in Section 830.6 of the Penal Code, having reasonable cause to believe that any vehicle or combination of vehicles is not equipped as required by this code or is in any unsafe condition as to endanger any person, may require the driver to stop and submit the vehicle or combination of vehicles to an inspection and those tests as may be appropriate to determine the safety to persons and compliance with the code.

Lol, one of many many many laws. There were 900...yes 900 new laws put into place this last year alone in California.
There will be probably about the same next year and the next etc.
We are not far from breaking the law with anything you do in the near future.
Good times...

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any kinds of stickers, modifications (tint, exhaust noise, car club stickers, lights, etc) are considered reasonable suspicion..
Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
Infamous5.0
CAFords OG
Member # 1745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infamous5.0  Ford pictures for Infamous5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Robb:

Yeah!! all you losers need to stop working on your cheap ass cars and just go buy a 700hp car at your nearest liquor store.

--------------------
To be or not to be

Brokn Nx
¯
Member # 8526

LOL!

I sold my 04 Cobra I bought new for Saleen foxbodies....

Stupid move I guess.

--------------------
85-0001 Saleen Mustang
88-362 Saleen Notch
85-090 Saleen Hatch
67 Stang Coupe

diablounicorn
¯
Member # 13033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for diablounicorn  Ford pictures for diablounicorn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
only thing illegal on your car should be the off road pipes and that does nothing but give you the giggles because how loud it is. i myself regret going gt40p heads, trying to get gt40 heads until i can afford better.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com