Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » civil lawsuit question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: civil lawsuit question
91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91redmustang  Ford pictures for 91redmustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone here familiar with civil lawsuit proceedings? Received a letter from a lawyer telling me that his client a collection agency has named me as co-defendant with another person I have no idea who that is, claiming I owe money.

Letter states I have 30 days to dispute the validity of the debt.

They filed the lawsuit in 2013 and the request was denied in july 2014 by the court, I guess because I never received this letter.

Went to the courts online services and it states 2 things. Which I have no idea what they mean.

1. Notice of dismissal OC generated dated 2/15

2. Order to show cause RE: dismissal for failure to proceed scheduled rm 51 at Central justice center.

Can anyone explain what the above mean, no. 2 I guess there is a hearing set for later this year?

eldog68
¯
Member # 12928

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eldog68  Ford pictures for eldog68    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you co-sign a loan with anybody?
On the other hand, if you don't know who that other person is, it could be a scam. Did the ask you to "settle out of court" for any money?

Posts: 263 | From: el Dorado hills | Registered: May 2013  |  :
foxbody
¯
Member # 582

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxbody  Ford pictures for foxbody    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks like its stating that the lawsuit was dismissed by the court,because the filing party did not follow thru with the courts to show "just cause"for filing lawsuit against you

safest thing to do is go the county clerks office and get a copy of the dismissal that the court generated for your records

this way,if they refile,as from the letter you received in the mail,u can show it was dismissed already

[ 2015-02-10, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: foxbody ]

Posts: 15754 | From: san jose | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Step 1. Don't ask for legal advice on CAFords. Though many here have had the need to retain the services of an attorney, that does not make them qualified to dispense legal advice.

Step 2. Talk to an actual attorney. It'll cost you probably $150 up front, but it's better to spend the money now rather than find out you got a judgement against you because you did not properly contest the lawsuit.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
Step 1. Don't ask for legal advice on CAFords. Though many here have had the need to retain the services of an attorney, that does not make them qualified to dispense legal advice.

Step 2. Talk to an actual attorney. It'll cost you probably $150 up front, but it's better to spend the money now rather than find out you got a judgement against you because you did not properly contest the lawsuit.

Hahahaha so true

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91redmustang:
Anyone here familiar with civil lawsuit proceedings? Received a letter from a lawyer telling me that his client a collection agency has named me as co-defendant with another person I have no idea who that is, claiming I owe money.

Letter states I have 30 days to dispute the validity of the debt.

They filed the lawsuit in 2013 and the request was denied in july 2014 by the court, I guess because I never received this letter.

Went to the courts online services and it states 2 things. Which I have no idea what they mean.

1. Notice of dismissal OC generated dated 2/15

2. Order to show cause RE: dismissal for failure to proceed scheduled rm 51 at Central justice center.

Can anyone explain what the above mean, no. 2 I guess there is a hearing set for later this year?

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/
Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wilit:

[/QUOTE

This. Make sure you stay on top of this especially if you are unaware of why you are in this situation. Definately consult an attorney if this matter continues. You dont want issues like this.

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com