Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » any way around back reg. fees on classic

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: any way around back reg. fees on classic
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well my purchase has some back reg. fees. Has anyone ever registered there car as a classic collector car? Does anyone know how to get around the back fees? It's been 3 years since it was last registered. I plan on non-op'ing the car but these fees are kinda high.

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sometimes you can negotiate the fees. I've had them reduce them by 2/3.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go to the dmv an ask for a statement of facts an hope for the best.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:

dammit lol. I don't like those odds with dmv
lol

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68dustin:
quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:

dammit lol. I don't like those odds with dmv
lol

out of the three cars I have done only one was denied an had to pay the full amount.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

what should I put on the "statement of facts"
-vehicle is older than 25 years old, and is a collector/hobby car that needs full restoration. I bought the car not knowing the back registration problem?

[ 2015-01-27, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: 68dustin ]

--------------------

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

I told them it was undriveable because of engine or transmission was bad.pick on or the other an said I want to non-op it an if the could help reduce the fines.don't go to the bigger dmv office's the want help as much
91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91redmustang  Ford pictures for 91redmustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wanted to use the DMV collector car VC to have the back fees waived on my 88 notch. But there are also couple of VC that go with the collector car VC, just cant remember them off the top of my head.

but because I waited too long from when I purchased till I went to the dmv to transfer the car to my name, the supervisor said because of this she couldn't wave the back fees, otherwise she was going to waive them.

BTW the clerks didn't know what the hell the collector car VC was.

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

quote:
Originally posted by 91redmustang:
I wanted to use the DMV collector car VC to have the back fees waived on my 88 notch. But there are also couple of VC that go with the collector car VC, just cant remember them off the top of my head.

but because I waited too long from when I purchased till I went to the dmv to transfer the car to my name, the supervisor said because of this she couldn't wave the back fees, otherwise she was going to waive them.

BTW the clerks didn't know what the hell the collector car VC was.

so try to talk to one of the managers?

--------------------

91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91redmustang  Ford pictures for 91redmustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On the statement of fact write down your a collector and asking for the back fees to be waived. That's what I wrote down, but you must know the articles and sections of the DMV vehicle codes when your explaining the reasons why your cars backfees should be waved.

Just remembered the article is 5051 just don't remember the sections they fall under.

Sinister Mustang
¯
Member # 13889

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sinister Mustang  Ford pictures for Sinister Mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Statement of facts. Print it out, fill it out, bring it into the DMV and see if they'll believe you or not.

--------------------
Message me for 1979-2015 Mustang Parts!

www.SinisterMustang.com

Posts: 255 | From: Roseville,CA | Registered: Dec 2014  |  :
91redmustang
¯
Member # 10019

I had to speak to the supervisor cause the clerks didn't know that such a VC exists. Number one thing is to be polite and not come off as a know it all, otherwise they will tell you to kick rocks.

You may luck out and the clerk may be aware of the VC, then most likely call the supervisor for approval.

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Out of curiosity, how high were the back fees for 3 years? I have one that could be higher than that. Feel free to PM if you don't want to post it. Thanks.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

quote:
Originally posted by iceman302:
Out of curiosity, how high were the back fees for 3 years? I have one that could be higher than that. Feel free to PM if you don't want to post it. Thanks.

$598 according from this on dmv. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/usedVehicleForm.do

--------------------

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ouch. Thanks for the link.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Found this link that has details on the VC that should help you steer around your back fee issue.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120817215339AAFA0zb

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com