Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » What was your biggest car buying mistake? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What was your biggest car buying mistake?
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll go first. My current daily driver, my E39 BMW. This car has completely turned me off of the BMW brand. My co-worker has a newer E39 with half as many miles as mine and he has just as many issues. Total pile of shit. I'm glad I only spent $4k on it and not $45k when it was new.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The biggest mistake i've ever made buying a car was when I traded in my 98 Cobra convertible for a top of the line Chrysler Town & Country Limited.

I know my first mistake was trading the car I bought when I was single. But the other mistake was going all out getting a limited fully loaded minivan becuase we were having our first kid.

Let me tell you, little babies don't give a shit about how leather smells over cloth. Plus these vans depreciate so fast I would have save alot of dough just buying the base model, even better to buy the base model demo car at end of year clearence.

Chrysler T&C limited vs.Chrysler T&C base
The difference $38,000 vs. $18,000

7 years later $7,000 vs $ 3,500

--------------------
Project 93GT500 has started
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
88 Mach 1 Coupe MM&FF 6/14 (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Posts: 1746 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
selling my 71 dune buggy
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RRRCobraSC281:
The biggest mistake i've ever made buying a car was when I traded in my 98 Cobra convertible for a top of the line Chrysler Town & Country Limited.

I know my first mistake was trading the car I bought when I was single. But the other mistake was going all out getting a limited fully loaded minivan becuase we were having our first kid.

Let me tell you, little babies don't give a shit about how leather smells over cloth. Plus these vans depreciate so fast I would have save alot of dough just buying the base model, even better to buy the base model demo car at end of year clearence.

Chrysler T&C limited vs.Chrysler T&C base
The difference $38,000 vs. $18,000

7 years later $7,000 vs $ 3,500

I never understood the whole, "we're having a kid, we need a mini van" thing. When I was born, my parents had a Triumph TR6 and an AMC Javelin. But then again, they didn't have mandatory child safety seats to worry about. After my mom replaced the TR6 with a 2nd gen Camaro, I remember playing on the floorboards as we were driving around. LOL.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its funny you mentioned an e39. I was going to say the same thing! I had a stock 98 528i that was great for the few months I owned it, then I went out and got a slightly nodded 99 528i with ridiculous issues. It looked awesome with the M5 kit, AC wheels, etc but it was a nightmare! I'll never get an e39 again! Only bummer I'd consider are the pre-95 models.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
200k mile sc400

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Trying to build multiple cars at one time.trying buying everything a least threes times on threel builds.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
Its funny you mentioned an e39. I was going to say the same thing! I had a stock 98 528i that was great for the few months I owned it, then I went out and got a slightly nodded 99 528i with ridiculous issues. It looked awesome with the M5 kit, AC wheels, etc but it was a nightmare! I'll never get an e39 again! Only bummer I'd consider are the pre-95 models.

When the car works, it's actually a really terrific car. But when it breaks, and it does that often, it's such a pain in the ass to repair. Plus parts are just stupid expensive. I could understand if they were machined steel or billet aluminum, but 99% of the time they're plastic parts. After my wife's car is paid off, I'm punting this thing and getting a new F150.

--------------------

H8RPWRD
¯
Member # 12588

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for H8RPWRD  Ford pictures for H8RPWRD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Trading my first Fox away

--------------------
89 Lx Vert
93 LX Notch- sold
01 Bullitt #00919- Sold
90 LX- Sold
89 LX Vert- Sold
89 LX (DarkHorse)-Sold

89point.
¯
Member # 6078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point.  Ford pictures for 89point.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
selling my magnum r/t and getting into this piece of shit 08 cts cadillac, i wont be getting a mini van but now that i do have my first baby i do need something bigger.. im tired of getting my head stuck between the roof and the car seat handle lol
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My current dd. Its a 2001 kia rio. Great car almost no issues 34mpg but fuck man its been a fucking curse trying to sell it even if i put it for cheap nothing happens

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
351w
¯
Member # 11875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351w  Ford pictures for 351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ballin on a budget with used BMW's
PonyBoy415
¯
Member # 13662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PonyBoy415  Ford pictures for PonyBoy415    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Selling my 1969 Mustang which had a 302 to my uncle for 2800 dollars , I went out and bought a 1981 Rx7 which ended up leaking oil like no one else's business. I was only 19 so I'll chalk it to being young and stupid. To this day my uncle still has the mustang out in Tucson. I didn't get another mustang till two years ago when I bought my coyote......i miss that car every day !!

[ 2015-01-16, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: PonyBoy415 ]

Posts: 356 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2014  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shoulda got an m5, no regrets here

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I let my ex wife talk me into buying one of the "first gen" Kia Sorrentos. Total pile of garbage. Did I mention she's my ex wife?

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my biggest mistake was buying my cobra r that you guys dont believe me about. The only reason i bought it was to be cool and i'm still not cool!! No but really 15 years ago i pulled money from my retirement to buy a very clean low mileage 1 owner 84 gt350 car that got stolen and stripped 5 days later and was found in a residential neighborhood in richmond, That fuckin hurt bad and obviously the thiefs were fuckin retarded thats the absolute worst 302 ever built!!! but they came up on the stereo system but i'm sure someone on here knows the thief though
Pcsal
¯
Member # 12897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pcsal  Ford pictures for Pcsal    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My biggest regret was when I got my very first saleen. 88-174 white with grey stripes grey leather interior. it was a 1 of 1 I was stupid. I started traveling for my job driving acroiss country and sold it to buy a dodge dually. I still regret that getting rid of that car.
Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wilit, I'm curious as to what has gone wrong on your E39? I have an E39 and with 116k on the clock, I have only experienced a small handful of problems (mileage related) with these vehicles.

Radiator, Expansion tank, Valley pan gasket & Burst hose, Thrust Arms.

To me, this car is a peice of cake to work on.

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Egocentric:
Wilit, I'm curious as to what has gone wrong on your E39? I have an E39 and with 116k on the clock, I have only experienced a small handful of problems (mileage related) with these vehicles.

To me you shouldn't have to deal with those type of problems until really high milage.

My gramps had one with low milage. Only thing good about that car was comfortable seats and good mpg. Other than that shitty stereo, ac was busted, and same list of problems u listed all under 100k miles.

[ 2015-01-17, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: 90GT510 ]

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buying a lx hatch foxbody, turn out the clutch cable or the clutch wasn't the problem. It was the bell housing from a v6 from a new edge mustang. Craigslist mechanic's special. Major headache, lots of advil and vodka. However I got bars certification. [Smile]

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

One owner cars usually dont have that many issues as they are maintained properly, but high mileage 3rd 4th and 5th owner cars are beat up and not maintained correctly. These have the most issues. I had a 03 M5 for a couple years, the car had one major issue after I bought it with the driveshaft. Fixed it and never had any more issues with the car. But I also did a pre purchase inspection at Bertolucci's in Roseville to let me know if there was anything going down with the car initially.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1994 mustang gt for 4500 last year
Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought three Camaros, a 99, 00 and 02, all three of them weren't worth it for me, lost money on all these things, they all had window motor and window regulator problems after I bought them, then after the guy bought my 2000 it started leaking really bad on the way home from the intake, they were all nightmares. I love BMWs only if they have a warranty, otherwise they can be a money pit, my 03 745Li was turning into a problem child but BMW bought it back real easy and gave me $5K less than what I bought it for after using it for 2.5 years and I just bought another BMW but I only keeping it until the warranty is good

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:

I bought the car with 129k miles on it. It looked clean and well cared for. All the electrics worked except for the button that cycled through the on board computer. Seemed like a good deal. Ran strong, shifted right, no trouble codes etc. My first indication this would be a money pit was when I bought new wiper blades for it. I bought Dayco blades at O'Reily's and they were $65. That was the start of it. The rear camber is off, so it ate through a pair of tires in 20k miles. The transmission (GM 5L40E) has an issue with the valve body going bad. Mine did and required a rebuild at 142k miles ($2700). The upper radiator hose and radiator started to leak due to cracks. They had been replaced before, but had to be done again. So I did half of the system replacement with the upper hose, radiator, thermostat, rad cap ($500). Replaced both serpentine belts and tensioners ($70ea for the tensioners and $30 for both belts). The headlight adjusters broke (common problem). That was only $10 to fix, but still took time away from my life to fix it. It's now developed an oil pan leak that I will probably not fix. The power steering resevoir and hoses developed leaks ($90 to replace the res and 2 hoses). The DSC light came on a couple of weeks ago and I haven't even bothered to look at why. The sun roof tilt mechanism broke. There's two plastic sliders that make it tilt, they broke. BMW doesn't sell the plastic piece, you have to buy the entire slider mechanism ($180 per side). Now the sunroof rattles. At some point the front suspension needs to be replaced. It's developed a wobble. Pretty sure it's a thrust arm. The VANOS seals are going bad. I picked up a used one at Pick N Pull to rebuild ($150 to rebuild vs $1200 new). I'm just about to leave and grab a new fuel pump because it died yesterday ($160 at Autozone). I'm sure there's more, but at this point, I'm so pissed at it, I can't think straight.

I'm tempted to just sell this thing to a BMW breaker and lease a new Ford Fiesta for $100 a month. It would be way cheaper than trying to keep this thing on the road.

--------------------

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buy a luxury car with out a factory warranty is like marrying a hooker with a std.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com