Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » model cars

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: model cars
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive been looking into getting a cheap hobby to do when im bored and have been looking at doing some model mustangs, how many of you do them or have done them? Any tips? What is the best kind of paint and glue to use?

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Posts: 1519 | From: under the hood | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used to do models a long time ago. Zap-a-Gap is the best glue out there. Just be careful, cause if you glue it, it's not coming apart. I used to use Tamiya paint. It's pretty common to find in most hobby stores and covers well. You can run it through an airbrush with a tiny amount of thinner too.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
I used to do models a long time ago. Zap-a-Gap is the best glue out there. Just be careful, cause if you glue it, it's not coming apart. I used to use Tamiya paint. It's pretty common to find in most hobby stores and covers well. You can run it through an airbrush with a tiny amount of thinner too.

Thanks man ill have to check that out, i just want something different to do lol, plus my son is 6 so maybe he will enjoy doing it with me

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like to do model cars here and there. i always used the testors glues and paints.

I would recommend an airbrush over using a paintbrush for the exterior paint unless you want to try wet sanding some paint lol

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

quote:
Originally posted by NK2186:
I like to do model cars here and there. i always used the testors glues and paints.

I would recommend an airbrush over using a paintbrush for the exterior paint unless you want to try wet sanding some paint lol

How much is an air brush, and how do they work? Hook up to a compressor?

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobrasvt8:
quote:

Depends on the airbrush. Harbor Freight sells Badger knockoffs, but they're junk after a couple of uses. Get a good Badger airbrush. It'll last a long time. You can either do an air compressor or they sell canned propellant. I haven't bought a can in a while, but I seem to remember they're like $10 and last quite a while. A Badger 200 is a good starter. You can get a kit for like $70.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

quote:
quote:
quote:

Depends on the airbrush. Harbor Freight sells Badger knockoffs, but they're junk after a couple of uses. Get a good Badger airbrush. It'll last a long time. You can either do an air compressor or they sell canned propellant. I haven't bought a can in a while, but I seem to remember they're like $10 and last quite a while. A Badger 200 is a good starter. You can get a kit for like $70.
Awesome thanks for the tips guys, should i use it on the interior to or paint that by hand?

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Awesome thanks for the tips guys, should i use it on the interior to or paint that by hand?
You can use it for both. Though, for fine detail work you'll need to use a brush.

--------------------

9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You can use it for both. Though, for fine detail work you'll need to use a brush.
Sounds like a plan, bidding on a badger airbrush kit on ebay right now and checking out some model cars on there as well lol

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

quote:
quote:
quote:

Bringing up an old topic lol, where do you get your canned propellant at? I went to a hobby lobby today and they didnt have anything other than compressors for like $150 and up

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bringing up an old topic lol, where do you get your canned propellant at? I went to a hobby lobby today and they didnt have anything other than compressors for like $150 and up
Hobby Lobby sucks. You need to go to a real hobby store that sells RC stuff.

--------------------

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was just in a Hobby Lobby and the whole time I couldn't get that Laffy Taffy Song out of my head.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hobby Lobby sucks. You need to go to a real hobby store that sells RC stuff.
Any stores you recommend?

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com