Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Property tax?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Property tax?
SantaClara_Cobra
¯
Member # 9488

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantaClara_Cobra  Ford pictures for SantaClara_Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I bought a house 6 months ago in San Jose and just received a letter stating my property tax is now 1800 more a year. They are saying my property taxes didn't include my down payment and now it will. We put 20% down and put the taxes in our payment. Wtf! Is this what you guys go through? Can I protest this?

--------------------
18 Denali diesel
91 🦊

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
California be taxin

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My ex went through this a few years ago. After about six months of owning the house she got a letter probably similar to yours stating that they haven't received any taxes so far. She got on the phone with the mortgage company and they dealt with the problem for her. It turns out that there was no issue at all, just that some local governments are really fucking bad at keeping records and shit just getting mixed up.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
Outlaw_Stangz
¯
Member # 3926

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outlaw_Stangz  Ford pictures for Outlaw_Stangz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call who ever is servicing your loan to clarify. I would then call the Santa Clara County tax collector. I would go through your closing/lending paper work too. All that should be documented in there.
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My bank handles my tax payment but I still receive what looks to be a bill. It's just a copy. But it's possible your first payment is short and needs to be adjusted since the bank just estimates your tax assessment. My first one was short and my mortgage payment adjusted after that.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
eldog68
¯
Member # 12928

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eldog68  Ford pictures for eldog68    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Property tax is about 1% of the purchase price. Look into your papers and see what was allocated. It's probably just the county paperwork behind schedule since you include the tax in your mortgage payment .i pay my tax separately.
Posts: 263 | From: el Dorado hills | Registered: May 2013  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by eldog68:
Property tax is about 1% of the purchase price. Look into your papers and see what was allocated. It's probably just the county paperwork behind schedule since you include the tax in your mortgage payment .i pay my tax separately.

They assessed mine for $40,000 more then purchase price. I filed an appeal to no avail. Tax man commin lol

--------------------
The anti-crew

SantaClara_Cobra
¯
Member # 9488

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantaClara_Cobra  Ford pictures for SantaClara_Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies . I'm going to tak with my lender and go from there

--------------------
18 Denali diesel
91 🦊

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Probably your supplemental tax. It looks different the the normal bill.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

quote:
Originally posted by 135.0:

That sounds about right.

--------------------
The anti-crew

stanger00
¯
Member # 13818

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger00  Ford pictures for stanger00    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got the same type of letter about our property tax. Our lender told us to expect something like this and not to worry about it. If we were led wrong we would call our title holder and have them fix our payment.

quote:

This sounds right to me.

--------------------
2000 Mustang GT Aluminator, TFS, Vortech, AED

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Supplemental is a one time tax adjustment based on the difference between the previous owners tax base vs how much you purchased the home for. If you have an escrow account send them a copy and ask them to incorporate that bill in your payment and they'll probably pay it and add it to your monthly for the next 12 months. But it's already after 12-10 you probably have a penalty now. Prop taxes are typically 1% from the county but the additional bonds and assessments bring it closer to 1.25% if not more in certain areas.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

SantaClara_Cobra
¯
Member # 9488

quote:
Supplemental is a one time tax adjustment based on the difference between the previous owners tax base vs how much you purchased the home for. If you have an escrow account send them a copy and ask them to incorporate that bill in your payment and they'll probably pay it and add it to your monthly for the next 12 months. But it's already after 12-10 you probably have a penalty now. Prop taxes are typically 1% from the county but the additional bonds and assessments bring it closer to 1.25% if not more in certain areas.

Thanks for the reply. The letter stated they need half by end of jan. I'll double check it and make some phone calls. Thanks again .

--------------------
18 Denali diesel
91 🦊

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SantaClara_Cobra:
quote:

Thanks for the reply. The letter stated they need half by end of jan. I'll double check it and make some phone calls. Thanks again .
you're bank should pay for the supplemental tax too if you have a compound loan...Ours did.

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

[patriot]

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
Built88LX
¯
Member # 10758

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Built88LX  Ford pictures for Built88LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AL STOCK:
quote:

[patriot]
+2 [patriot]
Posts: 2390 | From: $acramento | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com