Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » purchasing a new vehicle out of state qs

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: purchasing a new vehicle out of state qs
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I am in the market for a new vehicle. I have found this vehicle on the east coast for 12k less than local dealers. I have a few questions if someone has some experience.

1. How does the sales tax work? do I just pay for the car plus title/reg there, and pay sales tax in ca when I register it?

2. courtesy delivery, is that my best bet as far as shipping?

3. Is there any registration issues or will it be just like i bought it in california?

I am new to this and appreciate any help, thanks [patriot]

ed650
¯
Member # 9897

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ed650  Ford pictures for ed650    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
12k less seems to good to be true make sure its not a craigslist scam. If its a dealer Google it also.

--------------------
410w Hatch
306Ci Coupe

Posts: 1744 | From: menlo park | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ed650:
12k less seems to good to be true make sure its not a craigslist scam. If its a dealer Google it also.

Its not a scam, local dealers have a 6k adm on these vehicles, everyone ive spoken to local has bought at this dealership im talking about, and one other dealer.
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No sales tax until you register it here. You should wait until you receive the car and then register it here, most times a car that goes from state to state the penalties on the registration go away(if there is any)

How much are you paying for shipping and from what state?

Registration is no different. Might be different forms but that's pretty much it.

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i don't know about sales tax out of state but you will have to pay a delivery fee for the car to be transported to ca, which, when I checked, was about $800 from the east coast.
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
Originally posted by Smoked50:
No sales tax until you register it here. You should wait until you receive the car and then register it here, most times a car that goes from state to state the penalties on the registration go away(if there is any)

Registration is no different. Might be different forms but that's pretty much it.

They can do a courtesy delivery if any local gm dealers are okay with that, fee ranges from 300-500, the car is brand new so there wouldnt be an issue with reg back fees, Thank you for the information!
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.t0es:
quote:
Originally posted by Smoked50:

They can do a courtesy delivery if any local gm dealers are okay with that, fee ranges from 300-500, the car is brand new so there wouldnt be an issue with reg back fees, Thank you for the information!
GM....yuck, this discussion is over [Big Grin]
Curious, what vehicle is so much cheaper on the east coast vs here?

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most dealers will do a no charge courtesy delivery on an ordered vehicle, however there is often a charge if the vehicle you're buying is already in stock. The delivery charge on the sticker is only good for the transportation from the factory to the initial dealer. You will have to pay tax and registration when you register it here. You will also need to smog it first. The other downside is that you lose the 4 model year smog exemption. You'll have to get it done every two years (depending on what county you live in).

[ 2014-12-02, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: iceman302 ]

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Its not a scam, local dealers have a 6k adm on these vehicles, everyone ive spoken to local has bought at this dealership im talking about, and one other dealer.
So why dont you ask them if you have reliable info on those who have made succesful transactions with this particular stealership---

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
quote:
quote:

So why dont you ask them if you have reliable info on those who have made succesful transactions with this particular stealership---
they chose to do an enclosed transport vs courtesy. The reg part I am getting conflicting answers ie some say they get a temp out of state tag and some say they go straight to dmv upon arrival and reg in ca with no need for a temp tag.
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
Originally posted by iceman302:
Most dealers will do a no charge courtesy delivery on an ordered vehicle, however there is often a charge if the vehicle you're buying is already in stock. The delivery charge on the sticker is only good for the transportation from the factory to the initial dealer. You will have to pay tax and registration when you register it here. You will also need to smog it first. The other downside is that you lose the 4 model year smog exemption. You'll have to get it done every two years (depending on what county you live in).

great info! so even though its brand new(never regd anywhere) ill need to smog it?

[ 2014-12-02, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: 5.t0es ]

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure it's 50 state legal otherwise you will be in for a treat. My dad came out here and bought a '13 Ecoboost F-150 that was 49 state legal lol. So he went through a year of bullshit just to get it registered in California. He also had to pay sales tax in TX and CA.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by iceman302:

great info! so even though its brand new(never regd anywhere) ill need to smog it?
Yep. I learned that one when I ordered my Raptor. I almost had to take the CAI back off because most smog shops wouldn't touch it.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shouldn't matter what the state the car came out off less been tagged before or if didn't ask the dealership to make sure the sell the car as being in California.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
Shouldn't matter what the state the car came out off less been tagged before or if didn't ask the dealership to make sure the sell the car as being in California.

Tell that to the DMV lol they gave my dad a one way pass to remove the vehicle from the state. He had told the dealership he was taking it back to California, he also had a California ID and address. The only way the state would let him register it is if it had more than 7,500 miles on it.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Greasy:
quote:

Tell that to the DMV lol they gave my dad a one way pass to remove the vehicle from the state. He had told the dealership he was taking it back to California, he also had a California ID and address. The only way the state would let him register it is if it had more than 7,500 miles on it.
his fault for asking this simple question is it 50 state legal I.e doesn't have a federal emissions sticker on the vehicle. An the only thing your dad had to do was take the under hooemissions
emissions sticker off the vehicle an how would have the state know it wasn't a 50 state legal vehicle.

Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

quote:
quote:
quote:

his fault for asking this simple question is it 50 state legal I.e doesn't have a federal emissions sticker on the vehicle. An the only thing your dad had to do was take the under hooemissions
emissions sticker off the vehicle an how would have the state know it wasn't a 50 state legal vehicle.

Actually, I asked the salesman on our test drive if it was 50 state legal and he said yes. Also it wasn't the sticker that flagged it, it was the vin. The truck passed emissions with no problem, he didn't know there was an issue until the DMV sent him a letter with a one way pass to remove it from the state.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

^^^^ when had it vin verified is when it came up 49 state vehicle^^^
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

But the issue didn't arise until he got a letter from the DMV. He had the smog certificate and it passed with flying colors.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
But the issue didn't arise until he got a letter from the DMV. He had the smog certificate and it passed with flying colors.

happen's that way works sometimes.there times we sell a car with california plates on it but a out of state compnay own's it then we have get brought back an smog an vin verify the car an weight it if it's a truck
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I order my Cobra, I ordered out of state because the dealerships were charging rape prices here and not honoring X plan pricing. when I had it build, I had to specify CA emissions. At the time there were two different "types". This was the only way I could get my car, the only other way to bring a new car into Commifornia, the "new" car needed to have 6k miles on the odometer.

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is there any way to get a written offer from this other dealership and see if a local one will match it or come close so you don't have to go through the hassle?
Posts: 1394 | From: Vallejo, Ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
Originally posted by ItzStock:
Is there any way to get a written offer from this other dealership and see if a local one will match it or come close so you don't have to go through the hassle?

I did print out an advertised price for the exact model with exact options, thus far they cant even come close.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com