Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Which one would get better highway MPG's? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Which one would get better highway MPG's?
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A stock 2010 Raptor ext cab or an 03' Sierra ext cab 5.3 with K&N cai, programmer, 4" lift and 35" tires. which would get better highway mpg's?

I know you don't buy these trucks for their fuel efficiency lol, just curious. I currently own the Sierra and have been wanting a Raptor for a long time but they are so damn expensive lol.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What milage are you getting on the sierra?

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Raptor

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm guessing right around 18 highway. It has 3:73 gears and cruises just below 2k rpms going 75-80

--------------------
ET's to come

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

I commute from Tracy to Fremont m-f

--------------------
ET's to come

Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn you must spend a lot in gas with that commute. Buy the truck and a Civic hatchback from the 90s. The 40mpg will make up the cost of the car in the first year for you, LOL.

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Luckily gas is under $3 in tracy right now lol. I actually have a 97 honda accord and tried commuting with it for about a month, but it got too boring to drive lol. I feel more comfortable commuting in my truck ever since I was rearended by a mini van on 680 sitting in traffic a few months ago. I was stopped and the kid was going over 50 mph when he hit my truck. The van was totaled and all it did was push in my bumper, tow hitch and spare. His insurance payed to repair it at a GMC dealership and they did a nice job. I'm just glad I wasn't in the honda. Coulda been waay worse.

[ 2014-10-30, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: 92_5.0 ]

--------------------
ET's to come

MaK_1967v8
¯
Member # 12187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaK_1967v8  Ford pictures for MaK_1967v8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No such thing as a fuel efficient truck. My 88 4Runner gets about 17-18 with the v6 ( 5 speed, 35s, solid axle swap with 5.29 gearing )

But the raptor is a big motor with 3.73? 4.10? gearing and an auto. I bet it gets pretty shitty mileage.

--------------------
1967 C Code Coupe
2004 Roush Stage 2

Posts: 620 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  :
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got horrendous mileage with my '11 Raptor SCrew. Best case scenario on the highway was 15-16. That was taking it slow and easy. Mine had a CAI and tune on it too. 36 gallons of premium is a painful fill up... especially more than twice a week.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Commute on a motorcycle, cheaper.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:
Luckily gas is under $3 in tracy right now lol. I actually have a 97 honda accord and tried commuting with it for about a month, but it got too boring to drive lol. I feel more comfortable commuting in my truck ever since I was rearended by a mini van on 680 sitting in traffic a few months ago. I was stopped and the kid was going over 50 mph when he hit my truck. The van was totaled and all it did was push in my bumper, tow hitch and spare. His insurance payed to repair it at a GMC dealership and they did a nice job. I'm just glad I wasn't in the honda. Coulda been waay worse.

I feel u on the whole getting rear ended. I been rear ended 3 times now my back it fuck. But stick with the truck u have just cause the raptor is going to very tempting to go fast most of the time = to very poor mpg

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

quote:
Originally posted by iceman302:
I got horrendous mileage with my '11 Raptor SCrew. Best case scenario on the highway was 15-16. That was taking it slow and easy. Mine had a CAI and tune on it too. 36 gallons of premium is a painful fill up... especially more than twice a week.

I was afraid of hearing this. I was going to ask if a tune and cai would help any lol.

--------------------
ET's to come

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

quote:
Originally posted by losbadgts:
quote:

I feel u on the whole getting rear ended. I been rear ended 3 times now my back it fuck. But stick with the truck u have just cause the raptor is going to very tempting to go fast most of the time = to very poor mpg
damn, 3 times, jeez... Luckily I wasn't tensed up during the impact, my back and neck were sore but nothing major. It's tempting enough to go fast in this truck as it is so I can imagine it would be 10x more in a Raptor lol.

--------------------
ET's to come

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

I was afraid of hearing this. I was going to ask if a tune and cai would help any lol.
LOL. Nope. 6200+ pounds is a lot of barn door to drag through the air. Typical mixed tank would be 12-13. Not uncommon to get high single digits around town if you're more than just cruising. When I bought the truck my commute was under 5 miles to the office. Now it's almost 4 times that. I just drive too much. I've had the ST for 22 months and it has over 46k miles on it already. I remember one month with the Raptor where I was on the road a lot and I spent over $1400 in gas! [Eek!]

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

quote:
quote:
quote:

LOL. Nope. 6200+ pounds is a lot of barn door to drag through the air. Typical mixed tank would be 12-13. Not uncommon to get high single digits around town if you're more than just cruising. When I bought the truck my commute was under 5 miles to the office. Now it's almost 4 times that. I just drive too much. I've had the ST for 22 months and it has over 46k miles on it already. I remember one month with the Raptor where I was on the road a lot and I spent over $1400 in gas! [Eek!]
$1400?? ouch! [Eek!] I just checked and my sierra is 6400+ lbs. Doesn't feel like it though lol.

--------------------
ET's to come

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

No way. More like 4800 pounds. 6400 has to be the GVWR.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tdi Volkswagen with a stick.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Have you looked at the new GMC Canyon? I'm planning to buy one next year. The V6 has roughly the same horsepower (305) as your Sierra, gets mid 20's on the freeway, and tows 7000 pounds. And there's a 2.8L Duramax coming next year.

-

[ 2014-10-31, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: iceman302 ]

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

quote:
No way. More like 4800 pounds. 6400 has to be the GVWR.

Sorry, your right that was the GVWR. It is around 4800 lbs.

--------------------
ET's to come

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

quote:
Have you looked at the new GMC Canyon? In planning to buy one next year. The V6 has roughly the same horsepower (305) as your Sierra, gets mid 20's on the freeway, and tows 7000 pounds. And there's a 2.8L Duramax coming next year.

-

Those are pretty cool, I saw one being test driven by my work, I couldn't believe how big they are! ...I dunno though, I'm not much a fan of V6's, I've got to have a V8 lol

--------------------
ET's to come

65mustang408
¯
Member # 8681

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65mustang408  Ford pictures for 65mustang408    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
one word, cummins.

--------------------
fast and cool shit

Posts: 947 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
06ragtopgt_SOS
¯
Member # 11327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Ford pictures for 06ragtopgt_SOS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I realize this is a ford forum, and i am indeed a ford guy. But i always wondered about building a 6 speed 4.8L s10 with 3.08s as a daily. I would imagine it would do ok on fuel and have plenty of power

--------------------
Lame ass 2006 3V GT. Low and slow, all bark, no bite.

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

quote:
quote:
Have you looked at the new GMC Canyon? In planning to buy one next year. The V6 has roughly the same horsepower (305) as your Sierra, gets mid 20's on the freeway, and tows 7000 pounds. And there's a 2.8L Duramax coming next year.

-

Those are pretty cool, I saw one being test driven by my work, I couldn't believe how big they are! ...I dunno though, I'm not much a fan of V6's, I've got to have a V8 lol
Agreed. I'd rather have the 5.3 in the Canyon but there's no way they'll do it. The Colorado/Canyon will likely already cannibalize full size sales without a V8.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

MaK_1967v8
¯
Member # 12187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaK_1967v8  Ford pictures for MaK_1967v8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

-

Agreed. I'd rather have the 5.3 in the Canyon but there's no way they'll do it. The Colorado/Canyon will likely already cannibalize full size sales without a V8.
actually, that's false... They do put the 5.3 in canyons/colorados, they're just rare as fuck.

--------------------
1967 C Code Coupe
2004 Roush Stage 2

Posts: 620 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  :
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

quote:
Originally posted by MaK_1967v8:
quote:
quote:
quote:

-

actually, that's false... They do put the 5.3 in canyons/colorados, they're just rare as fuck.
Nope. That's the previous generation truck. And they had slightly less power (300) than the new V6 but more torque. The new trucks actually are rated to tow 1000 pounds more than the previous generation trucks with the V8.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com