Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » About Hiroshima and Nagasaki

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: About Hiroshima and Nagasaki
50/50
¯
Member # 1724

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 50/50  Ford pictures for 50/50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
America knows we bombed Japan after Pearle Harbor. But, do they (the japanese) teach this in their History classes? And what does it say/describe in their history books on that fateful day in Japanese history? I know it's a sensitive topic. If there are any members here of Japanese descent I inquire respectfully. Thanks!

[ 2014-10-09, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: 50/50 ]

--------------------
Previously named: VenGeance, 5LiterFever, 50cal.

Drive safely. You wanna drive in it. Not DIE in it.

RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Kinda like us history taught in the south compared to the north on the topic of slavery.

--------------------
Project 93GT500 has started
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
88 Mach 1 Coupe MM&FF 6/14 (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Posts: 1746 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
blackfifty
¯
Member # 9023

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackfifty  Ford pictures for blackfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I once had a lesbian history teacher, who asked us to write an essay describing why you would be pro same sexy marriage or anti same sex marriage and have it correlate with a historical event. She received the papers and a few days later she came back to class pissed. She read some sentences from some of the paper; "Homos shouldn't be allowed to get married" "The bible says Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" "Gays are the root of all evil" and so on. She continued to curse out almost everyone in the class. I believe the person that teaches you history has a big influence on how you perceive some of the major events in history. I like teachers that are subjective and have no biased opinions. I would love to see what people of Japanese descent say about Hiroshima.

--------------------
03 Terminator

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
South Park Season 13 Episode 11 FULL EPISODE Wh…: http://youtu.be/MHOCwk_fEBE

Skip to the about the 18 min mark for your answers people.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm not Japanese but I personally think it was pretty fucked up to bomb a whole city let alone two. I know there were reasons why it was done and I'm not here to argue about them however, we all know how it feels when innocent people die for the cause of another group of people they can't control. It's nothing to be proud about or celebrate.

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am of Japanese origins and I don't know what to think about it. I was also born there in Japan .my mom was born in Nagasaki Japan and two years after the bomb was dropped. She told us horror stories of what her friends and family went through right after the bomb was dropped... I don't have much of an opinion about this as I did not live through this nor was I effected by it..after five yrs of age I came to Sacramento so I was only educated by the events here and the story's my mom told were just hear say.

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a buddy (American) who went to high school in Japan. Yes, they teach about the bomb. They have a skewed view of how WWII went down however, which portrays them as the victims and not the aggressors. They also don't mention any of the atrocities they committed, such as the rape of Nanking, completely disregarding all Geneva Convention accords and everything Unit 731 did. If you don't know what Unit 731 is, look it up.

[ 2014-10-10, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by a302juGRnot:
I'm not Japanese but I personally think it was pretty fucked up to bomb a whole city let alone two. I know there were reasons why it was done and I'm not here to argue about them however, we all know how it feels when innocent people die for the cause of another group of people they can't control. It's nothing to be proud about or celebrate.

You know the firebombing of Tokyo, Kyoto and other cities killed far more people than either of the two atomic bombs right? If anything, at least the A-bomb was more humane as most were killed instantly rather than suffocating or burning alive.

quote:
On the night of 9–10 March ("Operation Meetinghouse"),[9] 334 B-29s took off to raid with 279 of them dropping 1,665 tons of bombs on Tokyo. The bombs were mostly the 500-pound (230 kg) E-46 cluster bomb which released 38 napalm-carrying M-69 incendiary bomblets at an altitude of 2,000–2,500 ft (610–760 m). The M-69s punched through thin roofing material or landed on the ground; in either case they ignited 3–5 seconds later, throwing out a jet of flaming napalm globs. A lesser number of M-47 incendiaries was also dropped: the M-47 was a 100-pound (45 kg) jelled-gasoline and white phosphorus bomb which ignited upon impact. In the first two hours of the raid, 226 of the attacking aircraft unloaded their bombs to overwhelm the city's fire defenses.[10] The first B-29s to arrive dropped bombs in a large X pattern centered in Tokyo's densely populated working class district near the docks in both Koto and Chuo city wards on the water; later aircraft simply aimed near this flaming X. Fourteen B-29s were lost.[11] The individual fires caused by the bombs joined to create a general conflagration, which would have been classified as a firestorm but for prevailing winds gusting at 17 to 28 mph (27 to 45 km/h).[12] Approximately 15.8 square miles (4,090 ha) of the city was destroyed and some 100,000 people are estimated to have died.[13][14] The US Strategic Bombing Survey later estimated that nearly 88,000 people died in this one raid, 41,000 were injured, and over a million residents lost their homes. The Tokyo Fire Department estimated a higher toll: 97,000 killed and 125,000 wounded. The Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department established a figure of 124,711 casualties including both killed and wounded and 286,358 buildings and homes destroyed. Richard Rhodes, historian, put deaths at over 100,000, injuries at a million and homeless residents at a million.[15]

[ 2014-10-10, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
I have a buddy (American) who went to high school in Japan. Yes, they teach about the bomb. They have a skewed view of how WWII went down however, which portrays them as the victims and not the aggressors. They also don't mention any of the atrocities they committed, such as the rape of Nanking, completely disregarding all Geneva Convention accords and everything Unit 731 one. If you don't know what Unit 731 is, look it up.

Wonder if they teach about the Bataan death march, which is one of the extremely brutal war atrocities they committed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataan_Death_March

War is ugly and to save lives they did what they felt they had to do. The people in charge of the Japanese military were willing to kill Hirohito in order to continue fighting us to the death, while the Emporer considered a living god to them wanted to surrender to save the rest of their civilians.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

MaK_1967v8
¯
Member # 12187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaK_1967v8  Ford pictures for MaK_1967v8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I have a buddy (American) who went to high school in Japan. Yes, they teach about the bomb. They have a skewed view of how WWII went down however, which portrays them as the victims and not the aggressors. They also don't mention any of the atrocities they committed, such as the rape of Nanking, completely disregarding all Geneva Convention accords and everything Unit 731 did. If you don't know what Unit 731 is, look it up.

anyone who doesn't know what unit 731 is, should certainly look it up. It's a rather disturbing formation of individuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgtIyNRv3g8

[ 2014-10-10, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: MaK_1967v8 ]

--------------------
1967 C Code Coupe
2004 Roush Stage 2

Posts: 620 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  :
sinisterblk
¯
Member # 8425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sinisterblk  Ford pictures for sinisterblk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another interesting debate is that the bombs and eventually defeat of the Japanese lead to a freer state. The invincibility and infallibility mindset towards the emperor eroded because of their defeat. They adopted a new constitution after WWII which paved the way for them becoming one of the largest economies in the world, in spite of their size and lack of natural resources. They began to systematically invest in their people and today are a technological center.

[ 2014-10-10, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: sinisterblk ]

Posts: 549 | From: angels camp | Registered: May 2008  |  :
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wish i had my Grandfathers pics of his tour Most of the pics have comments from him and friends saying they that they looked good this way all blown to shit.

They deserved more than just 2 bombs

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dropping the bombs saved millions of American lives. If we hadn't probably more than half the people on this forum wouldn't exist today.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 70stang351w:
wish i had my Grandfathers pics of his tour Most of the pics have comments from him and friends saying they that they looked good this way all blown to shit.

Both of my Grandparents fought in the Pacific. One carried a BAR and mowed down plenty of bad guys while jumping from island to island. My other grand dad supplied ammo on the ships for anti aircraft guns. He couldn't believe how they would fly into the damn planes killing themselves. He didn't really like to talk about the war and what he saw.

Honestly I feel worse for the Japanese Americans that were rounded up here in American and put into camps. Could you imagine if we had tried to do that today with Muslims? Shows how much times have changed. Some for the better and some for the worse.

--------------------

SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you guys havent you should what the mini series HBO did a few years back The Pacific

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5iMByOBdY

n most people dont know that the US sunk a Japaneses mini sub a couple of hours before pearl harbor attack, even in the movie they mention sinking a Japanese sub. but we all know lik today's wars its motivated by oil

Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

I believe FDR knew in advance that the attack was coming. How far in advance is really hard to say. I do believe that our economy wouldn't have recovered under his new deal policies had we not entered the war when we did. FDR gets a lot of credit/blame just like most presidents when things are going good or bad.

--------------------

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
Originally posted by Wildfire532FB:
Dropping the bombs saved millions of American lives. If we hadn't probably more than half the people on this forum wouldn't exist today.

Not only that, but Japanese lives. They were training children how to become suicide bombers and stab GI's with bamboo spears. Look at the battle for Okinawa. The amount of civilian and military loss on the Japanese side is staggering. And Okinawa is like pseudo-Japan. The invasion of the home islands would have been much worse.

Another thing most people don't know is shortly before Japan surrendered, the Soviets finally declared war (part of the overall plan by the Allies). Had the Soviets got full blown into the war, Japan would NEVER have become the nation it is today. Japan and Russia already had bad blood from the Russo-Japanese war. If Stalin had his way, he would have murdered every last inhabitant of the island.

[ 2014-10-10, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------

a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

You know the firebombing of Tokyo, Kyoto and other cities killed far more people than either of the two atomic bombs right? If anything, at least the A-bomb was more humane as most were killed instantly rather than suffocating or burning alive.

quote:
On the night of 9–10 March ("Operation Meetinghouse"),[9] 334 B-29s took off to raid with 279 of them dropping 1,665 tons of bombs on Tokyo. The bombs were mostly the 500-pound (230 kg) E-46 cluster bomb which released 38 napalm-carrying M-69 incendiary bomblets at an altitude of 2,000–2,500 ft (610–760 m). The M-69s punched through thin roofing material or landed on the ground; in either case they ignited 3–5 seconds later, throwing out a jet of flaming napalm globs. A lesser number of M-47 incendiaries was also dropped: the M-47 was a 100-pound (45 kg) jelled-gasoline and white phosphorus bomb which ignited upon impact. In the first two hours of the raid, 226 of the attacking aircraft unloaded their bombs to overwhelm the city's fire defenses.[10] The first B-29s to arrive dropped bombs in a large X pattern centered in Tokyo's densely populated working class district near the docks in both Koto and Chuo city wards on the water; later aircraft simply aimed near this flaming X. Fourteen B-29s were lost.[11] The individual fires caused by the bombs joined to create a general conflagration, which would have been classified as a firestorm but for prevailing winds gusting at 17 to 28 mph (27 to 45 km/h).[12] Approximately 15.8 square miles (4,090 ha) of the city was destroyed and some 100,000 people are estimated to have died.[13][14] The US Strategic Bombing Survey later estimated that nearly 88,000 people died in this one raid, 41,000 were injured, and over a million residents lost their homes. The Tokyo Fire Department estimated a higher toll: 97,000 killed and 125,000 wounded. The Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department established a figure of 124,711 casualties including both killed and wounded and 286,358 buildings and homes destroyed. Richard Rhodes, historian, put deaths at over 100,000, injuries at a million and homeless residents at a million.[15]

i understand the reasons why it was done and i dont want to argue whether it was justified or not. i also understand that the japanese soldiers committed terrible acts. maybe it did save more people at the end. however, innocent people/children died that were not responsible for the japanese government.

[ 2014-10-11, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: a302juGRnot ]

a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wildfire532FB:

Not only that, but Japanese lives. They were training children how to become suicide bombers and stab GI's with bamboo spears. Look at the battle for Okinawa. The amount of civilian and military loss on the Japanese side is staggering. And Okinawa is like pseudo-Japan. The invasion of the home islands would have been much worse.

Another thing most people don't know is shortly before Japan surrendered, the Soviets finally declared war (part of the overall plan by the Allies). Had the Soviets got full blown into the war, Japan would NEVER have become the nation it is today. Japan and Russia already had bad blood from the Russo-Japanese war. If Stalin had his way, he would have murdered every last inhabitant of the island.

if history changed, it couldve easily changed for the worse and im honestly glad its shaped how everything is right now. i just feel most people have no sympothy for those innocent civilians.

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:
quote:
Originally posted by 70stang351w:

Both of my Grandparents fought in the Pacific. One carried a BAR and mowed down plenty of bad guys while jumping from island to island. My other grand dad supplied ammo on the ships for anti aircraft guns. He couldn't believe how they would fly into the damn planes killing themselves. He didn't really like to talk about the war and what he saw.

Honestly I feel worse for the Japanese Americans that were rounded up here in American and put into camps. Could you imagine if we had tried to do that today with Muslims? Shows how much times have changed. Some for the better and some for the worse.

Guantanamo bay.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

^ [Roll Eyes]
Like that's even close to the same thing LOL. I thought Obama was gonna close that place anyways.
Gonna have to chalk that one up to the list of unfulfilled promises to the sheep that voted for him.

--------------------

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

i understand the reasons why it was done and i dont want to argue whether it was justified or not. i also understand that the japanese soldiers committed terrible acts. maybe it did save more people at the end. however, innocent people/children died that were not responsible for the japanese government.
I'm not justifying the use of the bomb in that post either. I'm pointing out that there were far more civilian deaths due to firebombing Japan than what occurred at Hiroshima or Nagasaki. It just irks me that people get upset about the A-bombs when there were far more casualties from repeated bombing than from a single bomb. If you're upset about civilian deaths, you can't just single out those two individual bombs. You have to be upset about the thousands of incendiary bombs as well. The only difference between the Tokyo raid and Hiroshima is, the US just got way more efficient at completing the same task.

Also, it's not like Hiroshima was just a city full of innocents. It was a major shipping port for the war and also the headquarters for the 2nd Army. It was a strategic target that was going to either be bombed by one airplane or 350 airplanes. Either way, people were bound to die.

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com